Teen Junkaroo Jam discontinued

Nutsoverdisney

Earning My Ears
Tried to make reservation for the DD15 on the Junkaroo Jam through DCL and was told it was discontinued until for notice. I then emailed Dreams to see if they knew anything. They replied within minutes and said it is indeed discontinued until further notice.

Anyone know why it was discontinued? DCL did not have a answer as to why it was dicontinued. My DD15 really enjoyed it last year and it seems it is always pretty full.

I hope they bring it back or plan something else for the teens to participate in while in Nassau.

Are you doing a 4 day cruise? I know our boys did 2 teen cruises in St. Maarten but this year is was not offered. The ship leaves 7 or 7:30 pm but on our March 16 cruise it left the same time it did the last two 7 day cruises did, 11:00! Go figure. I thought the teen cruise was just discontinued because of the early departure time but the one in Nassau is also discontinued? Kathy

Yes, we are doing the 4 day cruise. Called DCL again this morning to find out if they are offering anything else in its place for the teens but was told not at this time. I again asked DCL why it was cancelled and they said they were as surprised as I was because it sold out every time and the teens enjoyed it.

Perhaps because they had problems with a few naughty teens getting absolutely blitzed on alcohol they had no problem purchasing while ashore, and they they had behavior problems?

(I know there's been a lot of sensitivity recently about painting teens with a broad brushstroke... I'm not doing that here... I'm just referring to a handful of teens who may have ruined things for everyone else.)

I'm a 15 year old girl and I went on the TeenJunkanoo Cruise on my first DCL trip when I was 13, and had a BLAST! I was planning to go on it on my next trip on the Wonder on April 21-25, 2002, and was really excited about it. And I was extremely upset when my mother told me it had been cancelled. I knew it couldn't have been due to lack of interest, so I figured some stupid kids got drunk or stone on or before the trip and /or jumped off the boat or something. I hope they bring it back.
~*~Toni~*~

Dave...do you mean that the teens probably purchased the booze before the cruise and brought it onboard....I guess that could be possible because I know alcohol was offered to my teens while they were walking around the island.

I just don't want people to think that the Junkanoo excursion offered booze to the kids because they don't. My teens have been on them a few times and they are pretty well surprived. I guess from now on if they reinstate it, they will have to do a full body search to make sure no one is sneaking anything onboard. It could be very easy to do....vodka in a water bottle or such!!!!

Too bad some have to ruin it for all.

MJ

Being a parent of two 18 yr old boys I suspected that maybe Disney did have a problem of teens boarding the cruise after having a few or even sneaking it on the little cruise boat. Our last cruise 3/16 this year my husband was even approached by an islander wanting to know if he wanted to buy some "weed". Now that our boys are 18 they could get off in port without us but 17 and under they needed a parent or a parental consent.

We also saw a drunk underage teen being detained in the hallway where you get back on the ship. He was in bad shape and the officers involved were locating his parents.

Again a few bad apples ruin it for all. Kathy

Well, I'm very upset that this happened, but I definitely saw it coming. Last year, I participated in the Junkanoo Cruise ( I had just turned 14) and personally, I felt that some peope there had definitely drank before coming.

And the kids themselves may have not purchased the alcohol. I'm sure that many of adults who go on DCL purchase alcohol while in the Bahamas, and it is EXTREMELY easy for a child who wants to, take that alcohol for themselves (unfortunely, I witnessed that during my last cruise also, but QUICKLY got myself out of the situation!)

And by the way, concerning drugs, we received a speech at the first meeting at Common Grounds telling us that if we bought drugs and got caught, and our parents were unable to pay for bail in cash, we would have an...umm... "extended stay" in the Bahamas ;)

Hopefully Disney will be able to sort this all out and maybe do another excrusion for teens. Just remember- not all of us teens are so bad! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter