TEA Thread Wk of Feb 12, 2006

plutosmyfav

<font color=deeppink>Has high hopes, high apple pi
OK, I'm a little behind!!! Sorry. Big snow storm, lots of shoveling and playing yesterday and a snow day for the kids today kept me super busy.

Let's see. What will my AT be this week? I will do the 8 glasses of water (not including training rehydration) and absolutely not going over my weekly points. :scared1:

When I suggested the training visualization last week I should have made mine "how to navigate a blizzard". Blizzards = binges for me. It goes way, way back, nearly 20 years. My Dx plows for another town, so he is gone from the time the snow starts to way after the storm is over. That has always left me with two feelings: loneliness and the opportunity to pig out with no one seeing me :blush: So I need to really work on reframing what a blizzard means to me! I won't go into the details, but it wasn't pretty. :rolleyes: Fortunately, I got tons of exercise between shoveling, sleding and snow playing.

Who's next? What's your AT for this week?

Check in!!!!!

Sunny

My goal is yet again to eat at least 2000 calories a day. I made goal exactly 1 day last week and am not off to a good start this week.

PMS week and Valentine's day...my goal is to maintain while still indulging a bit.

Monday went well. I got my water in and stayed within points.

Here's a blurb from one of our newsletters that may be of interest:

Feel the Brrrrrrr…n!
February 13, 2006

Dear Lucy: Is it true that you burn more calories when the ambient temperature is lower? Should I quit exercising at the Z-Center and take up running along the river instead? —Calorie Conscious

Dear CC: According to MIT Medical health educator and certified personal trainer Deirdre Neylon, the idea that one burns more calories in cold weather is a myth—one that persists because, on the surface, it makes so much sense. The reasoning goes that since it takes more energy to maintain core body temperature in a cold environment, and since energy equals calories, the body will burn more calories in cold weather. But the truth is that, as long as you are dressed appropriately, cold temperatures alone won't cause you to burn more calories. You won't start using up additional calories unless your body temperature drops enough to induce shivering. And although intense shivering may burn 400 calories an hour, it also depletes muscle glycogen stores and drains energy, creating a potentially dangerous state of affairs, so Lucy does not recommend shivering as a form of winter exercise!

Of course, certain wintertime activities do offer the potential for burning more calories. For example, the resistance one encounters when walking in snow or running into the wind can provide a greater workout than the same activity done in more optimal conditions. And you'll also burn additional calories if you are wearing heavy clothes, like boots or a parka, or carrying the weight of extra equipment, like skis or snow shoes.

But while Neylon doesn't recommend abandoning the gym for outdoor exercise on the basis of caloric considerations, getting outside in the winter can add some variety and fun to your workout schedule, as long as you play it safe. With that in mind, Lucy offers the following tips for outdoor winter workouts:

* Drink sufficient fluids. According to experts, failing to drink enough fluids is one of the most common mistakes made by winter athletes. Since we tend to feel less thirsty when it's cold, winter athletes need to consciously consume fluids to replace the water that is lost through perspiration and breathing.
* Dress in layers: Start with a thin layer of one of the new synthetic materials that draw sweat away from the body, and build from there. Your outermost layer should be resistant to wind and water. But make sure every layer is made of a "breathable" material, so sweat doesn't get trapped near the skin, which can cause chilling.
* Warm up first. Cold muscles are tighter and more prone to injury, so warm up before beginning any intense physical activity. And make sure you dress for your workout; if you're perfectly warm at the start of your warm-up phase, you'll be too warm by the time you really get going.
* Head into the wind when you start out. Then, when you head home with the wind at your back, possibly sweaty, you'll be less likely to get chilled.
* Wear sunscreen. Sunscreen and lip balm are important protection all year round, and especially when the sun is reflecting off the snow.

Good luck with your winter workouts, and keep exercising! —Lucy​

I am just trying to get through this week without eating any chocolate. The caffeine in is really bothers my heartbeat so I am trying to do without. There is chocolate everywhere :eek:

OK Sunny, I'd better join up here. I'm not doing so well with WW. Maybe if I have to come here and confess my sins, I won't sin so much. :confused3

Sorry but from now on I will have to bore you all to tears with my daily menu. :rolleyes2

Judy

director.gif

Step away from the chocolate and nobody gets hurt

doggieLOL.gif

Glad you are joining us, Judy!!!!

I am struggling to get my discipline back, too. I came real close to making my AT to post my daily food intake but chickened out. I know at some point I need to do it, but I'm terrified of making that commitment!

We won't be bored at all if you are brave enough to do it!

I am continuing to work on my thought tools. I am visualizing I prefer to be energetic and thin rather than lethargic with a belly full of junk. While the former really is true, somehow I seem to have a lapse of sanity somewhere around 8PM... and belly loading seems to begin. NOT TONIGHT! In fact, if possible, I'll come post at 8PM, and again at 9PM.... I'm going for 2 days in a row. :cool1: :moped: :cheer2:

Sunny

Phew! I made it! I'm 2 for 2 (I'm not counting Sunday :rolleyes: ).

I jogged on my mini-trampoline while watching the Olympics. That kept me from reaching for food!

Time to fill the water bottle :thumbsup2

Sunny

plutosmyfav said:
Phew! I made it! I'm 2 for 2 (I'm not counting Sunday :rolleyes: ).

I jogged on my mini-trampoline while watching the Olympics. That kept me from reaching for food!

Time to fill the water bottle :thumbsup2

Sunny

Congrats, Sunny! I am so happy for you and I can tell it makes you proud of yourself to know that you can overcome those bad habits.

Last night, I posted in my journal at 8:28, saying I'd eaten dinner and a snack and wasn't going to eat anymore. I am proud to report that I did, in fact, stop eating at that point.

My daily goal for this week (I know I am late) is to stick with the WW healthy eating guidelines (thanks to DisneyLovingMama for inspiring this) of 6 glasses of water, 5 servings of fruits and/or veggies, 2 servings of milk products, and a multi-vitamin. The first 2 are usually easy for me. I don't think I've done the milk or MV thing even 2x/week in forever.

BTW, Sunny, I am with you on the blizzard thinking thing, but for me it is weekend snowy days. For some reason I feel like I have to pack in as much food as possible and nap! I really do think I may have been a bear in a former life! :crazy:

keenercam said:
I really do think I may have been a bear in a former life! :crazy:

Me, too!!!!! I start having trouble getting out of bed in January. By Feb its all I can do to drag my sorry butt out of bed... I think I was meant to hybernate Jan-March :lmao: If only the kids and my boss would understand...

Congrats on making it through your night! Great AT for this week.

Hey, so far today, I've been doing pretty well! No chocolates at all! :lmao: Actually, I did a brave thing and threw away the remaining Godivas. I know, I know, it broke my heart but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do. I think my motto is "If it's there, I've got to eat it." Therefore, if it's not there.... ;)

I'm going to really try to stick to WW more closely. I'm probably only doing it about 60% of the time. And one slip up and I'm like "Oh well, might as well pig out since I screwed up today." Yeah, well, THAT doesn't work. If I slip up I should just get right back on program.

But now my husband is talking about going out for Indian food tonight. I LOVE INDIAN FOOD! :rolleyes:

Judy

Its 9PM and I just ate a bowl of steam green beans. I think the food aliens have got me now :rotfl2: :lmao:

Sunny

plutosmyfav said:
Its 9PM and I just ate a bowl of steam green beans. I think the food aliens have got me now :rotfl2: :lmao:

Sunny
WooHooo!!! :woohoo: Go Sunny! :banana:

Judy -- you are an incredibly gutsy gal! I am so proud of you for removing temptation. :cheer2: If that were me in my former non-WISH life, I'd have gotten rid of the chocolates by eating them so I could have a fresh start. I am SO GLAD I found this board! :cloud9: :grouphug:

You just reminded me. I have to go eat a yogurt, even if it means using flex points. Had an incredibly, outrageously stressful 24 hours with DD17 and wanted to eat everything in sight. Thank God I didn't. I also DIDN'T get to my yoga/pilates class. That might be hard to forgive. Anyway, I ate a heavy dinner and have no points left, but am determined to stick to the WW healthy guidelines so I will go find a fat free pudding or lite yogurt or maybe even some fat free cheese to get in that other dairy requirement.

Thanks for keeping me accountable! :love:

Did you take your *** too Cam?

Sunny- food aliens now too? hey, what was the kitchen doing still open anyway?

I yet again failed to make my goal. Three meals and two snacks today and I only hit 1684 calories. That's sounds like a fine number if you're trying to lose weight(just maybe 2 pounds more) but is a very bad number if you do something like run 7 miles and swim 2500 yds during the day too. I think I need to do some more grocery shopping and get some nuts to add to foods. Not much more bulk but definitely more calories.

Lynn-- pick up some dried fruit, too. Nuts and dried fruit are very caloric-dense. To close the kitchen I should get those metal grates that pull down at nighttime!

Cam-- oh I hear ya! Most of the weight I gained in 2003 was due to my inability to deal with DDs "stresses". She too, btw, is ADHD (and has a LD) but she wasn't diagnosed until last year. She went through some pretty hard times and I numbed myself with food. Good for you for spotting it and not giving in.

I better get on that trampoline if I'm going to make my mintues for today!

Yes, Lynne, I am proud to say I remembered my vitamin today -- it has extra calcium and iron, I think. I just have to put a couple in my purse so that I can take it on weekends. Right now the bottle is on my desk at work so that I remember them.

Sunny -- Thank you so much for understanding. I swear -- between hormones, senior stress, college slection process, the whole no-boyfriend thing, friend dramas, etc., etc., I thank God for every day we get through. I am not sure if I am looking forward to her going to college or worried to death. And before she even gets to that point, I have to survive her being away in Europe for 15 days. I am going to be a WRECK worrying about her emotional and physical well-being! Oh, God, just shoot me now with a tranquilizer to get me through the next 6 or 7 months! :eek:

I haven't been very accountable this week.

DH's Mom passed away on Monday, so instead of enjoying the warm-up in FL, I am here in Brooklyn, NY with all that show! The funeral was today, but I still have several days with realtives and a lot of food to get through before we go back home Sunday.

So, I am here to say that my water intake has been off, my food consumption has been way too high, and my exercise for the past few days has been packing, rnuunig an airport 5K in JFK airport to find DH (hauling a bunch of luggage since I was bringing his clothes as well as mine) and shoveling the snow out of DMIL's parking space so we could use it.

As it has warmed up some here, I do plan to get out and do some walking over the next few days both on the Boardwalk at Coney Island and in BIL's neighborhood. I will do the best I can to avoid the cakes which seem to be everywhere, and water will improve.

Don't know when I will get to check back in again, but will do so as soon as I can.

Nancy-I am so sorry to hear about your MIL. Take care. I know it will be hard with all that bad food around. Try to concentrate on at least drinking lost of water (I picture it flushing all the fat out of my body :lmao: ) and eating smaller portions of that bad stuff. Good luck !

Cam-you are doing great. I have got to get me some vitamins.

Sunny-that's great, at least you at something healthy with almost no calories. :thumbsup2

Judy-I know what you mean. Right now I have girl scout cookies, chocolates & leftover valentines sugar cookies. :eek: I did good today & didn't touch any of it. :cool1:

I am planning on drowning myself in water today. Also, staying away from that bad leftover valentine stuff. Tonight is Wendy's night for DS school, so I can save enough points to have a lg chili & a small frosty. Having that to look forward to will help me be good all day.

Nancy, I'm so sorry for your loss. Please take care of yourself during this difficult time. :grouphug:

I'm happy to report I'm 3 for 3 now :cool1: Last night ended OP!

Sunny

Nancy - So truly sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

I gave an entire tray of cupcakes and cake that my dad gave us for Valentine's day to my youngest DD's daycare for snack yesterday. I figured it would be best served over there.

Not doing exceptionally well with food this week, but not too bad either :blush:

Tiff-I hope you enjoyed Wendy's last night.

Sunny - WTG on 3 for 3.

Cam - You're making me scared about my girls becoming teenagers!! My DS is nearly 16 and he is mild!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter