TDR--Don't fear the rain!!!

MyYearWithTheMouse

Disneyland Fan
We just returned from our 4 days at TDR and I don't know if I can do a full TR but I want to say--don't fear the rain!!!

It rained all 4 days we were there, everything from periodic clear skies to light rain to downpour. Let me just tell you, the rain absolutely kept the crowds away! We were there July 6th (Monday) through the 9th (Thursday) and we literally walked on almost every single ride. I was prepared for crowds and heat but that's not what we got at all. What a great way to experience TDR!

We're Southern Californians living up the street from Disneyland so rain was like "what is this stuff falling from the sky???" ;) but it all turned out great. The one drawback was that we couldn't enjoy the atmosphere as much because it was difficult to look around in a downpour, and we didn't get as many pictures as we wanted because we didn't want to subject our expensive DSLR to the rain. Oh and also, we didn't get much popcorn because there wasn't much time to eat it--you couldn't eat it in the rain and we waited in so few lines we couldn't polish it off then either :).

A few rain tips:

We have 4 people in our family, 2 adults and a 6yo and a then-3yo. The 3yo was in a stroller and as we were caught unprepared, half of the first day was spent trying to arrange an umbrella over her lap. However, we found that at stroller rental you can buy a clear plastic stroller cover, high quality with zippers for getting in and out, for 3,000 yen. Worth every penny.

As far as rain gear, we had one person in a windbreaker from home with an umbrella, one in a light raincoat, and two in Disney-purchased ponchos. Each had its advantages and disadvantages. Whatever rain covering you choose, be prepared to take it on and off A LOT. No wet rain gear on indoor rides. It's worth the money to buy the more substantial poncho with the front snaps because of this. The advantage of ponchos was the rear-end coverage which the windbreaker and raincoat didn't offer. Outdoor rides tended to have wet seats. On the other hand, ponchos are large and can be unwieldy and don't offer much neck coverage for rides like Aquatopia when you get squirted directly in the face. Umbrellas were very common and kept people dry except their lower halves. It's really up to you but I liked the poncho.

Some shows get canceled, like the light parade, which bummed me out. But others go on as planned when the rain is reasonably light. Happiness is Here is really a great parade and while the fur characters are just out there getting wet, the princesses wear clear ponchos. We watched the castle show, fireworks, and Fantasmic! in the rain, not to mention Minnie's Summer Splash which just made us wetter (the ponchos were of very little help there, and no umbrellas allowed).

Overall the crowd reduction was a huge plus for us. The rain did get tiresome at times and it's not a bad idea to pack a dry outfit and stash it in a locker. But TDR functions well in the rain, so don't be bummed if it's in the forecast for your trip!

We just returned from our 4 days at TDR and I don't know if I can do a full TR but I want to say--don't fear the rain!!!

It rained all 4 days we were there, everything from periodic clear skies to light rain to downpour. Let me just tell you, the rain absolutely kept the crowds away! We were there July 6th (Monday) through the 9th (Thursday) and we literally walked on almost every single ride. I was prepared for crowds and heat but that's not what we got at all. What a great way to experience TDR!

We're Southern Californians living up the street from Disneyland so rain was like "what is this stuff falling from the sky???" ;) but it all turned out great. The one drawback was that we couldn't enjoy the atmosphere as much because it was difficult to look around in a downpour, and we didn't get as many pictures as we wanted because we didn't want to subject our expensive DSLR to the rain. Oh and also, we didn't get much popcorn because there wasn't much time to eat it--you couldn't eat it in the rain and we waited in so few lines we couldn't polish it off then either :).

A few rain tips:

We have 4 people in our family, 2 adults and a 6yo and a then-3yo. The 3yo was in a stroller and as we were caught unprepared, half of the first day was spent trying to arrange an umbrella over her lap. However, we found that at stroller rental you can buy a clear plastic stroller cover, high quality with zippers for getting in and out, for 3,000 yen. Worth every penny.

As far as rain gear, we had one person in a windbreaker from home with an umbrella, one in a light raincoat, and two in Disney-purchased ponchos. Each had its advantages and disadvantages. Whatever rain covering you choose, be prepared to take it on and off A LOT. No wet rain gear on indoor rides. It's worth the money to buy the more substantial poncho with the front snaps because of this. The advantage of ponchos was the rear-end coverage which the windbreaker and raincoat didn't offer. Outdoor rides tended to have wet seats. On the other hand, ponchos are large and can be unwieldy and don't offer much neck coverage for rides like Aquatopia when you get squirted directly in the face. Umbrellas were very common and kept people dry except their lower halves. It's really up to you but I liked the poncho.

Some shows get canceled, like the light parade, which bummed me out. But others go on as planned when the rain is reasonably light. Happiness is Here is really a great parade and while the fur characters are just out there getting wet, the princesses wear clear ponchos. We watched the castle show, fireworks, and Fantasmic! in the rain, not to mention Minnie's Summer Splash which just made us wetter (the ponchos were of very little help there, and no umbrellas allowed).

Overall the crowd reduction was a huge plus for us. The rain did get tiresome at times and it's not a bad idea to pack a dry outfit and stash it in a locker. But TDR functions well in the rain, so don't be bummed if it's in the forecast for your trip!

So glad you had a nice time we got back 2 wks ago we went during Rainy season which worried me but we had hardly any rain only late in the day be that time usually on way back to hotel i would not let weather stop us going again in rainy season it was wonderful

So glad to hear! We arrive next Tuesday, July 20 and the forecast calls for thunderstorms.

Perversely I am kind of hoping for rain in our September trip if it means little or no crowds. We are Scottish so at home walk around in at least a bit of drizzle most of the time - and I've enjoyed disneyland paris in scary European winter weather several times! Come at me japan rainy season

Great point about the rain. My trip is next month (September) and so far, weather channel website has it raining in TK and HKG (I have a weekend layover there before going on to Tokyo) at some point every day for the next month. Gotta love monsoon season :D

Did you wear open shoes, or closed shoes to help deal with the rain? I'm thinking of taking a pair of Keen or Teva style sandals. I don't mind if my feet are wet; but wet sneakers with soggy socks is just horrible. lol

Also, I'm trying to figure out if you can charge park purchases to your room key at the Tokyo resort the way you can at WDW (and I'd assume DLR) or not? I plan on bringing cash, and have CC's, but wondered if I'd be able to do like at WDW. You charge everything to the room, and when you check out- everything gets sent to your CC as one charge from Disney.

Iwore sandals a lot in the rain i feel the same wet feet in sandals you can go in washroom and dry feet easily . Im not sure about charging but i cant imagine you cant charge items to your room .We paid in cash everything but park tickets brought at gate.

We enjoyed a rainy day at Tokyo Disney Sea back in April! Only issue we had is that my husband is relatively huge (6'6") so finding him a poncho at the park took some work. They don't have the same ones we've gotten at WDW and DL. We did find one, though - he would've liked one a bit larger, but it did its job well enough.

@bc7ate9 did either of you by any chance buy T-shirts as souvenirs while you were there? I wear a true US ladies medium and I'm worried that even I will be too large to fit into the largest sizes in Hong Kong and in Tokyo. I'm guessing that at 6'6" your husband definitely did not buy a shirt lol, but what about you?

Of course I can find out once I get there but there is another person who posted in this forum and when I followed some of his other blog posts, found out that they have some really cute Halloween T-shirts on the horizon for Tokyo and I'm hoping that I will be able to bring one home.

I posted a question about this in the main forum earlier I'm surprised no one answered. Maybe no one wants to hurt my feelings and say suck it up you're going to be a fat @$$ compared to the average Japanese person LOL :laughing:

@ sperkins921 - I'm a male, but generally I find that I need clothes that are just one size up. So, I'm a size small in Australia, but a size Medium in Japan (including for tees at Disney and for "Disney" themed tees at Uniqlo).

@bc7ate9 did either of you by any chance buy T-shirts as souvenirs while you were there? I wear a true US ladies medium and I'm worried that even I will be too large to fit into the largest sizes in Hong Kong and in Tokyo. I'm guessing that at 6'6" your husband definitely did not buy a shirt lol, but what about you?

Of course I can find out once I get there but there is another person who posted in this forum and when I followed some of his other blog posts, found out that they have some really cute Halloween T-shirts on the horizon for Tokyo and I'm hoping that I will be able to bring one home.

I posted a question about this in the main forum earlier I'm surprised no one answered. Maybe no one wants to hurt my feelings and say suck it up you're going to be a fat @$$ compared to the average Japanese person LOL :laughing:
I didn't buy any clothes at Disney - honestly, I find their Disney fashion style to be extremely garish!!! I would've liked a shirt witha subtle design, but everything was all over patterns in bright colors - not my style at all! It was also the "easter" season so everything was very flowery...

I did my a hoodie in a store in Tokyo. It's a unisex large and it fits me perfectly. I'm more of a medium, but I buy all my hoodies in large, even in the U.S., so I found it "true to size." I also bought arm warmers that fit me fine.

You might have trouble finding something like a suit that fits, but I don't think you'll have any issue with T-shirts.

I didn't buy any clothes at Disney - honestly, I find their Disney fashion style to be extremely garish!!! I would've liked a shirt witha subtle design, but everything was all over patterns in bright colors - not my style at all! It was also the "easter" season so everything was very flowery...

I did my a hoodie in a store in Tokyo. It's a unisex large and it fits me perfectly. I'm more of a medium, but I buy all my hoodies in large, even in the U.S., so I found it "true to size." I also bought arm warmers that fit me fine.

You might have trouble finding something like a suit that fits, but I don't think you'll have any issue with T-shirts.

This is so good to know! I got scared reading on other travel sites (not sure if I can name them but think of it as the world's most popular travel review site) where when the topic of shopping came up- this was not directly specific to the Disney resorts alone but more in general- everyone said Americans would be hard pressed to find shoes and clothes in China and Japan unless they were petite of frame or small of foot. I'm neither. I'm kind of tall for a girl; with most of my height being leggy. I have trouble enough buying pants in the US! :laughing:

The consensus was, if you were much bigger than a true US 6 (and not squeezed into it at that) you were going to be SOL to find ladies' stuff over there. I'm glad I asked over here because at least I have hopes of maybe bringing home a shirt or such. Although, having glanced through your FB pics (thanks for the link on the other thread btw) I might be more hard pressed to find something not due to size but due to how loud they like their disney shirts over there. :eek: lol

Maybe I'll come home with more money than I thought. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter