Taxes on WDW tickets - Disney vs. authorized reseller

Shellyred8

I'd rather be at Disney
The tax rate on WDW tickets is 6.5% on the Disney website. Today I was looking at UT's website and the amount that shows up under their "taxes and fees" amount is about 9.1%. I asked them via their chat what all is included in that amount for WDW tickets and they said it was only the taxes. When I asked them why their taxes are so much more than what is on the WDW website, she said "their taxes can be different because they are a 3rd party". Does this seem right? I don't claim to know much about sales tax laws, so I really am just looking for realistic information on this.

I tried googling some stuff about it but most of the results were about the Reedy Creek drama that is in process.

TIA!!!

Just a guess, they could be located in a different county and that county has a locality sales tax.

6.5 is the sales tax in Orange County. They can be charging higher taxes if they are elsewhere.

Just a guess, they could be located in a different county and that county has a locality sales tax.
I did a quick google search and it said the highest tax rate in FL was 7.5%. I wasn't aware of the separate "local" sales tax that FL has. I learned something new today! :)

6.5 is the sales tax in Orange County. They can be charging higher taxes if they are elsewhere.
Well then, tickets should have had no sales tax when they were sold in the Disney Stores in Delaware (no sales tax in DE). But they were still taxed at 6.5%.

I think this might fall under "fees" imposed by UT and not sales tax collected on behalf of the state of FL or local municipalities.

Well then, tickets should have had no sales tax when they were sold in the Disney Stores in Delaware (no sales tax in DE). But they were still taxed at 6.5%.
Not true because your "consuming" the goods in Florida so they can charge you tax on the product also called use tax.

I thought UT rolls up the price into the ticket price and they don't break out the "tax and fees"

Not true because your "consuming" the goods in Florida so they can charge you tax on the product also called use tax.

I thought UT rolls up the price into the ticket price and they don't break out the "tax and fees"
They do have their ticket price listed separately from the "taxes and fees", so you can see just the ticket price.

Whenever someone groups 'taxes & fees' into the same category it can include just about anything. 'Fees' can be any extra expense the company wants to charge for administrative or various misc costs.

Does it really matter? UT sells legitimate Disney tickets cheaper than Disney. I've used them numerous times throughout the years.
I don't think OP is questioning the validity of UT, just wondering about why the tax rate would be higher. Besides, I don't think most of the questions posed on a Disney message board really matter THAT much, haha.

If I had to guess, I'd bet the UT chat person just lumped taxes and fees together when claiming the extra was only tax. I can't really see an obvious rationale for charging an additional 3 percent of tax.

My guess would be it's the "fees" part of "taxes and fees." I don't really care what they call it, they're still less expensive and I've had great service from them. :sunny:

Definitely not questioning the validity of their tickets. I have also made several purchases from them over the years and have always received great service from them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter