Tax and Tip on Alcohol

mishasmom

The boogie monster must be locked in
We just got back from WDW, and I have a question about alcohol when you're on the dining plan. I realize that alcohol isn't covered on the dining plan; we planned to just pay OOP for our drinks. What I don't understand is why they automatically charged us 18% gratuity for our beers!?!? If you're on the dining plan and pay OOP for something do they automatically add 18% to anything else you buy? We had 2 beers each at Narcoossee's and it was $33 with tax and tip!! The same thing happened at Rose & Crown. We each had a half-yard of beer for $12.50 plus tax and 18% tip. But then the next night we bought our beer at the stand outside Rose & Crown and paid $12.50 tax included! Why is tax not included in the restaurant, but it is outside at the stand? Just trying to figure the tax/tip situation out for next time!!

Yes, from reports here on the DIS (there was a long thread a couple of weeks ago), if you are on the DDP and buy anything out of pocket, the 18% tip is automatically included.

That's correct. The automatic 18% gratuity is added to all extra charges on any table where the Dining Plan is used. That includes not only alcoholic drinks, but extra appetizers, add-ons, specialties, etc. It also includes the meals for anyone dining with Dining Plan guests and paying for their meals separately, in cash.

Thank you all for letting people know this. I didn't know this and will tell DH to have a beer after dinner at CR in the pub in UK instead. By the way is this allowed or are the wait staff getting greedy. Don't get me wrong I was a waitress in my younger times too, but we would never be allowed to do this.??

I don't think it's a big deal really. You were planning on tipping anyway for that drink you ordered and they delivered to you right?

I don't find 18% greedy - we would tip at least that amount anyway, unless the service was poor.

It does help to know this though - my dh "double-tipped" for our wine one night because he didn't realize the tip had already been added.

No big deal - it was at Jiko & our server deserved it.

Thanks for your responses. I certainly would have tipped on the alcohol, it was just surprising how quickly it all added up when I wasn't expecting it. Plus the beers themselves were a little pricey!! No harm, though! We had a great time and now know what to expect in the future!

I don't think it's a big deal really. You were planning on tipping anyway for that drink you ordered and they delivered to you right?

Garden Grill -- the tip was added in and I didn't mind paying 18%. I usually leave 20% for good service.

Ft. Wilderness Trails End and Norway Princess Dinner tip was not added in.

I can see the problem if you have poor service and want to leave a less than 18% tip.

If you have poor service, definitely bring it up to the manager. Rather than reducing the tip, they're as likely as not to comp the meal (even with the Dining Plan) and more importantly appropriate action can be taken to improve service quality for all future guests, too.

Not sure I'd tip 18% for a beer.

But I'll give them the DDE card and get the 20% taken off, so it won't cost me extra to pay the tip.

I'm trying to figure out how much I would normally tip for a beer. I usually tip a buck a beer here at home- but then our beers in a bar are usually about 4-5 dollars. Trying to figure out- if a beer was 5 bucks then a dollar is what, 20%? So I guess 18% isn't so off at all...

I forget the cost of beer at WDW. I think it's OVER 5 bucks. So a buck may be about 18%...so it ain't so bad.

By the way is this allowed or are the wait staff getting greedy. Don't get me wrong I was a waitress in my younger times too, but we would never be allowed to do this.??

yeah, its policy. I dated a girl serving at disney. She told me about how people on the meal plan hardly ever tipped for alcohol, yet she had to tip out the bartender per drink. Must have been a common problem property wide as they are not allowed to add the gratutity to anything else purchased by a person on the meal plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter