Target Steak Deal : how should I freeze uncooked steak - bought at Target on sale

Grumpy's Gal

DIS Veteran
I bought some steak at Target on sale -- then used the $2 coupon.

How do I freeze it? Leave it in the package it's in and wrap it up some more? or take it out of the package it's in and wrap it up somehow? I'd like to freeze it for as long as possible.

We always take it out of the original package and trim off any fat and wrap it in freezer paper. It will keep for 3 months. :cool1:

I leave it in the original package then put that inside a freezer bag. Compress as much air as possible. I read somewhere that the cardboard (or whatever its made of) tray it comes in actually helps keep it fresher longer than if you re-package it.

I find that I get less freezer-burn if I rewrap the meats. We just put them in Ziploc Freezer bags and they stay fresher looking much longer. Just try and get as much air out of the bag as possible before you zip it up.

We have one of those food saver devices, that suck all the air out of bags and seals the bags. It works great.

Normally we would have frozen in the original package, but I bought some of these at Target as well and DH didn't like the way they were packaged. He thought there was too much air inside. So we threw away the original packaging and put them in freezer bags.

Sheila

I always remove from the original packaging and rewrap. Usually in plastic wrap then in a freezer bag. I also marinate alot of meat before freezing...saves a step when you defrost, it continues to marinate in the fridge! Yummy!

Yes, marinades!! Freeze the meat in a ziploc with the marinade. As it thaws, it will marinade. I also do this with chicken and pork.

I have been told that its best to freeze meat in its original package ...
so I have been doing it this way...

I have been told that its best to freeze meat in its original package ...
so I have been doing it this way...

these packs have A LOT of air in them so I took them out. I'm told it's best to get all the air out.

Thanks everyone for your help.

We have one of those food saver devices, that suck all the air out of bags and seals the bags. It works great.

Yup, us too. When my mom gave it to us for Christmas one year, my dh and I just sort of looked at each other like "What the he** are we going to do with this?":rotfl: . Well, we use it ALL the time. It was a really good gift (after all!)

My husband has wanted one of those for years, but I've always been afraid we'd spend more on the plastic supplies than we did on the food. How expensive are they to operate?

Sheila

I have a quick question on this subject...how long do you thaw steaks, etc then once they're frozen? Do you put them in the refrigerator for a day or two? Or the same day? Normally we tend to use things as we buy them so I dont have a lot of freezing/thawing that I've done.

My husband has wanted one of those for years, but I've always been afraid we'd spend more on the plastic supplies than we did on the food. How expensive are they to operate?

Sheila

They sell the rolls of bags at Walmart and have their own brand. Admittedly, they aren't as good quality as the Foodsaver brand, but they are cheaper. You can wash and re-use the bags, and I usually do this if the bag isn't too small. They can also go in the dishwasher. I just double wash them in hot sudsy water (I use Dawn) and then turn them inside out to dry. Make sure they are washed very well, and dried well. The Foodsaver originally came with two rolls of bags and a bunch of ready-made bags. I've purchased 4 more rolls from Walmart in the past 2 years. I only food save my meats.

My Foodsaver came with one container too. I keep brown sugar in the container I have. I'd like to buy more so I can store different things. That would be a one-time expense.

My mom bought us the Foodsaver set we have from QVC...you might just want to check them out.

HTH's!
Marcy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter