Target employee discount

Mama Steph

DIS Veteran
Can someone tell me what the discount is? Getting ready to purchase about $3000 in gift cards for my trip and am wondering if it's worth asking a friend to use her discount. Can it be stacked with the red card? I would give her cash and some extra as a thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Can someone tell me what the discount is? Getting ready to purchase about $3000 in gift cards for my trip and am wondering if it's worth asking a friend to use her discount. Can it be stacked with the red card? I would give her cash and some extra as a thank you. Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
I believe so. Worth a try

Not sure if it's still what it was when i worked there in college-almost 20 years ago eek-but it was 10%. That was before the redcard debit discount so not sure about that, but would guess it would apply.

Can someone tell me what the discount is? Getting ready to purchase about $3000 in gift cards for my trip and am wondering if it's worth asking a friend to use her discount. Can it be stacked with the red card? I would give her cash and some extra as a thank you.

The Team Member discount is 10%, which amounts to 300 bucks in your case -- and yes, it can be "stacked" with the REDCard discount, putting the total discount at about $450.

However, it is NOT worth asking a friend to "do the deed" for you, as Target specifically tells their staff that discounted purchases are intended for TMs (and members of their household), only.

Given Target's recent situation (and the fact they may be monitoring "odd" purchases a little more closely), $3K in Disney GCs would definitely throw-up some sort of red flag and could cause your friend some problems...

The Team Member discount is 10%, which amounts to 300 bucks in your case -- and yes, it can be "stacked" with the REDCard discount, putting the total discount at about $450.

However, it is NOT worth asking a friend to "do the deed" for you, as Target specifically tells their staff that discounted purchases are intended for TMs (and members of their household), only.

Given Target's recent situation (and the fact they may be monitoring "odd" purchases a little more closely), $3K in Disney GCs would definitely throw-up some sort of red flag and could cause your friend some problems...

This is absolutely true. They do monitor employee purchases and are very strict about the rule that all purchases are for the employee. Your friend would be taking a big risk to do this for you. It could cost her her job.

I was not aware of this. Thank you for the info! I just thought as long as she was purchasing, it was ok.

Saving $$ with the red card alone would be worth it! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the info!:thumbsup2

Nope, if she's caught using her discount for someone else, she could lose her job.

Yep.

I didn't work at Target, but worked for a retailer that had a similar policy. I personally witnessed an employee lose their job for using their discount to purchase items for another person.

Please don't ask a friend to purchase something for you so you can get their discount.

Your friend could lose her job!!!

I agree with the consensus of everyone here...and when I worked for target in my high school days I am pretty certain that NO discounts were given on gift cards.

When my husband worked for a retailer, he HAD to fire someone under these circumstances - and the person the employee had bought for was his live in girlfriend. But it has to be immediate family, or an outright gift. And he wasn't given a choice, the auditors showed up and told him to show the guy the door that day, no arguing.

He said it was one of his worst days as management.

crisi said:
When my husband worked for a retailer, he HAD to fire someone under these circumstances - and the person the employee had bought for was his live in girlfriend. But it has to be immediate family, or an outright gift. And he wasn't given a choice, the auditors showed up and told him to show the guy the door that day, no arguing.

He said it was one of his worst days as management.

How did the auditors know who he bought it for, or that it wasn't a gift?
I don't plan on asking anyone to use their discount for me. I'm just curious.

How would they know The gift cards weren't for him? Just curious.

Because they audit extraordinary behavior. If you buy $3k worth of Disney gift cards, and can't prove a trip to Disney - you are busted. And yes, they reserve the right to ask for proof. If you buy too many of something, it will flag - too many TVs - they'll start poking around.

thanks. good to know!

Target, in particular, is awesome at data mining. They know what purchasing patterns people in certain circumstances have, and use it to both target advertising and audit employee purchases

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmir...teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/

in the case of my husband's employee, the problem was that the name on the credit card was his girlfriends, but it was rung up under an employee sale. That sent an immediate alert to internal audit, who viewed the register video. Credit card MUST match employee, employee MUST be present.

$3k in Disney gift cards without a corresponding vacation request in their time scheduling system -that's going to trigger internal audit.

I agree with the consensus of everyone here...and when I worked for target in my high school days I am pretty certain that NO discounts were given on gift cards.

We are speaking of the Disney GC, which Target considers an "entertainment card" (this is something which has come-around over the past few years), and indeed can be discounted for Team Members and REDCard holders, alike...

in the case of my husband's employee, the problem was that the name on the credit card was his girlfriends, but it was rung up under an employee sale. That sent an immediate alert to internal audit, who viewed the register video. Credit card MUST match employee, employee MUST be present.

AFAIK, the only payment methods Target will even accept for TM purchases are cash, REDCards, and Target Credit Union debit cards.

Any other credit/debit card will be kicked-back at the point of sale...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!