Talk to me about Frontier Airlines

RweTHEREyet

DIS Veteran
I have never flown them before, but they have a really cheap flight from RDU to MCO at the right time of day. Are you nickel and dimed to the point that it is better to just go with Southwest and their 2 free bags? Are they reliable?

I have never flown them before, but they have a really cheap flight from RDU to MCO at the right time of day. Are you nickel and dimed to the point that it is better to just go with Southwest and their 2 free bags? Are they reliable?
Have you done a search on here? I have seen many threads about them recently.
Denise

They are reliable as any other but do factor in the costs of baggage. I think they charge for overhead space and pretty much everything else so the true cost may be greater than your 'savings'.

Frontier offers two packages that provide for all the "extras" you might need or want (upgraded seating, baggage, etc.) which will save you money *if* you would be buying those upgrades anyway. One is The Perks package, the other is The Works package. If you don't want to be nickle and dimed, these packages might be of interest to you.

We have flown Frontier 4 times and have no complaints whatsoever. They have been just as reliable as any other airline we have used. We always buy either the Works or the Perks and have everything we need (including the best available seats on the plane.....TONS of room in the exit row!) aside from snacks, which we just bring with us.

We've used them once. We used backpacks and put them under the seats so no additional fees. We also didn't pay to pick seats but all three of us were seated together so we lucked out. Tickets were $20 each way so I have no complaints. I would fly them again.

We flew them out of VA Beach over MLK Weekend. Had a late night flight on Friday and early a.m. flight on Monday. Both got in early, no complaints. We just packed a backpack and fit it under the seat. We did pay for seats as we wanted to be sure and sit together. We just booked them again for Pres. Weekend. Price for MLK weekend was $233 total for the 2 of us, this time it was $330 I think.

I fly out of Philly and the price for Frontier with baggage fees and choosing my seat is either the same or cheaper than Southwest. In the end, my DH has decided that choosing a seat over having a "boarding position" is his preference. Southwest allows for 2 checked bags to fly free for each person, but we NEVER have more than 1 checked bag per person anyway. For a carry on, we each carry our own book bag and Frontier doesn't charge for that. Also, just to get a desirable boarding position, we always paid for Early Bird Check-In with Southwest. I think that cost has now increased to $15/pp. Which is MORE than the price of choosing your own seat on Frontier. So in the end, the cost of a Frontier flight with baggage fee and seat fee is still cheaper than the cost of a SW flight with EBCI fee. I will admit, Frontier has less leg and elbow room than Southwest but that's not important to us for a flight that is just a little over 2 hours long. Southwest used to very inexpensive from Philly to Orlando, but not anymore since Frontier started flying out of Philly. I still check Southwest flights just in case they are surprisingly low. The only way we will book SW now is due to an insanely low price and if the flight times are better than Frontier. For the last 5 years, neither was true so we fly Frontier with no complaints.

I started flying Frontier almost exclusively about 4 years ago. From Philly/Trenton I fly for anywhere from $50-100 RT to Orlando and similar prices to Myrtle Beach. I prefer the pricing structure because I only pay for what I need. I rarely ever check a bag and if we do I can get away with one large bag for all five of us so the extra $60 for that many people is minimal. For short trips I use a Vera Bradley Weekender bag that fits under the seat for free. I don't usually choose a seat either and so far so good in that we are always sat together. In the last 10 months I've flown them for 6 RT flights and only one had an issue of a delay. It was pretty bad, but they handled it well and we still got where we were going. They also issued us a food voucher while we were stuck at the airport and then without any request we each got a $75 voucher for a future flight so I flew down for free a couple weeks ago.

Seats aren't comfortable and unless you pay for the upgrade most don't recline. But I've never found any airplane seat to be comfy so it's not a big deal to me. Flight attendants have all been very friendly and helpful. Customer service has been good. Their emergency cancellation policy came in very handy when we got the flu a couple years ago on the day of our trip. I was able to get a credit immediately and avoid a change fee.

Flights are limited, so know that in advance. If they only fly once a day and it gets cancelled yes you may be stuck for a day or two. I'm usually fairly flexible in that regard though so I keep it in mind when booking. More popular routes seem to have less cancellations.

All in all I'm very happy with them and recommend them to people all the time.

Frontier from PHL to MCO is not a bad deal. All other things being equal, their cost is consistently less then the others available in that market, with all the basics needed to get from here to there. The seats are equally uncomfortable, but the trip is short in duration. Baggage charges are consistent with the competition (except for SW). All in all, it's just a seat on the big bus in the sky to get to Disney.

We flew with them in 2017 out of Dtw and it was good no issues and even got checked bags and was a good price for 3 of us , also a lot cooler than Deltas as that’s the only other one we have used.

My seat was way uncomfortable. Tray table was about the size of my cell phone. Not a fan of Frontier but if you are not a frequent flyer and/or its a short flight with minimal luggage then go for it. The only airline I have totally sworn off is Allegient. Never flown Spirit but based on Yelp reviews probably never will.

I flew out of Trenton to Jax last summer with my three kids 1,5, and 6 at the time. My husband found a great deal and you just have to be aware of what type of airline it is. We checked a bag because my family was meeting us there and it was my kids first trip, I knew we'd buy souvenirs. It was less than 330 round trip. It's 2 hours, eat before you go and pack efficiently. If you have kids make sure the tablet/phone is fully charged with a movie downloaded and you'll be fine. I plan on flying PHL to MCO this summer again. Enjoy your vacation!

We had no issues just like spirit. But they had strange flight days only a twice a week. So it made our vacation tuesday- tuesday

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!