Talk me out of it...POFQ to Poly

We often, do split stays. Some trips we stay at 3-4 different hotels, especially if we want to visit Universal and FL beaches.

I get bored staying in the same hotel for 10 days. We tend to eat breakfast at our home hotel, and 10 days in the same food court gets a bit stale, especially when we are talking about dining in the WDW food courts.

I agree with those who say weather could be an issue when it comes to swimming. Some winter trips pool swimming was an option, other trips it was only an option 1 day, some trips no days. Most trips though, we can at least manage a hot tub visit. Bonus if the hot tub is close to our room.

I can also agree with those who say, of all the deluxe resorts, current Poly prices are a bit high relative to the value of staying there. Prices at most of the other WDW hotels are slightly easier to stomach, though also too high, IMO.

If you spend 80% of your time at MK- worth it, otherwise, $300 would be my max to pay for a different resort. Stayed at Poly 3x, stayed at POR once- would go back to POR if I’m saving more than $300.

Thank you all for your thoughts :flower1:

I'm going to sleep on it, but I'm leaning to just sticking with POFQ; it'll be the first time we've stayed so it's new to us, plus there is so much more we could do with that money...like another trip to WDW next year! :banana:
That's exactly what we have been doing, we no longer can justify $200+ more per night.

I love to splurge, but not on the Poly. It’s really dark. The lobby isn’t anything special or inviting in the way the WL, AKL, GF or even BC lobbies are. The restaurants aren’t that impressive. In fact, eating at Kona Kafe, in the midst of the lobby, feels like eating in the middle of a mall to me. The monorail is certainly a great convenience, but I think POFQ is very pretty and better value. If you’ve really always wanted to stay at the Poly and this will fulfill that wish, then go for it. Otherwise, I would stick with POFQ or see how much more switching to AKL or WL would be. They are less expensive deluxes, but I think they’re both excellent.

We are working our way through all of the Deluxes but after visiting Poly several times we've decided not to stay there at all. I find it has too much of a 1970's motel vibe, a disorganized layout, a too-small pool and I think it's substantially overpriced when I look at what I can get at GF or WL or AKL for the same or less money. While we always stay Deluxe, if I had to choose between Poly or POFQ, I'd be more inclined to go with POFQ, especially for that price differential. We like dining at Poly but I'd rather stay elsewhere.

1300 is a lot of cash. No way I would go from POFQ to POLY for 1300. Heck. POFQ is a better resort. Imho it’s WDW best resort. But cash is cash. 1300 is a huge amount for a room. Difference.

I love love love The Poly, but $1300 is a lot of money to us. I have never stayed at POFQ, but for that kind of price difference, I would be giving it a try.

We often, do split stays. Some trips we stay at 3-4 different hotels, especially

I can also agree with those who say, of all the deluxe resorts, current Poly prices are a bit high relative to the value of staying there. Prices at most of the other WDW hotels are slightly easier to stomach, though also too high, IMO.

I agree with this. It makes me really glad that we took that deal when we did - it was about 9 years ago, and Club Level at the Poly for our August stay cost something like $333 a night. This was a 25% or 30% discount. I had discounted ever staying there, but knew that we would need either a suite/2 rooms over at one of the value resorts, or to stay at a deluxe. I checked the deluxe resorts, then noticed what club level included. I crunched a lot of numbers, and for our family of 4, with 2 tweens/teens, it was worth it. So with that in mind, I clicked on the Polynesian, and a club level room showed up. I wouldn't do it now, at the prices that are on today, but maybe in the future if we travel in the off/off season and a deal happens.

Poly in December is my favorite. The Hawaiian holiday music is amazing. The hot tub, especially at night, is great even if it gets a bit chilly. But, I am biased, we love Poly and own DVC there. I think it depends on your budget. Is $1,300 a huge sacrifice for you, or do you just like a good deal? We splurge on split stays with our DVC and do things like 5 nights in our DVC and 3 extra nights in a club level somewhere with cash because that splurge is what we enjoy. We will do less park time and really soak up the resort when we splurge on a resort.

That's the bit I'm not sure of so just wanted to know if anyone had any especially convincing arguments either way ::yes::

I like both. POFQ is my favorite moderate, and at that time of year I always lean towards the Beach Club for a deluxe. The Poly is a relaxed resort once you move away from the Grand Ceremonial House, and sweeps you away from the hectic vibe of Disney. POFQ is a tranquil setting tha is never crowded even if you wander to the lobby. The jazzy bluesy holiday music is a welcomed respite from the constant sounds of traditional music throughout most of the rest of WDW.

Frankly, I feel that if you need to be talked out of POFQ and into Poly, I wodul stick with what you booked. I have found that if someone needs to be sold on anything, a resort in this case, there is a real possibility of buyers remorse if it does not I've up to the expectations.

I suppose Poly might be more "worth it" in the hotter months (to for sure enjoy the pools every day), but I wouldn't say no to that Christmas in Hawaii vibe.

If you can swing the extra cost and you want to stay there, do it. Opinions will vary. The Poly is arguably an upgrade in many ways compared to POFQ (it wouldn't have that price tag it has if it wasn't!) -- location/transportation, on-site dining options, pools, room size, general "feel" that's hard to put into words.

But POFQ is really lovely, too. It depends on what calls you.

Decision made, we’re going to stick with POFQ. Thank you everyone for your help 😀

Reasons:
€1300 is do-able but is a lot of money for a room
We can visit the Poly anyway
We haven’t stayed at POFQ before so I’m looking forward to it
Lots of people love POFQ and based on what I’ve read I think we’ll really enjoy it there
Would love to do a Monorail resort sometime but actually prefer the Epcot resorts so will save this money for one of them on another trip
We don’t spend lots of time in MK

Phew...done 😄

I don't think you will at all be disappointed with POFQ in Dec. We stayed there a couple of years ago and it was really cold during that time. It is such a nice small resort that we could pop in and out of the food court just for hot chocolate. We are in the minority, but stayed Poly last year and were not overly impressed. Loud, chaotic, problems with our doors and like another posted said, food trays everywhere. Good luck and have a fantastic trip!

We made the mistake of staying at a deluxe (WL) our first time going as a family and now we don’t want to go anywhere else 😖. Don’t do it!

Seriously though, the Poly actually looked really nice when we went there for ohana. The pool looked amazing. I would love to stay there. If you think about it every time, just book it
That really is a problem isn't it. We stayed at the Contemporary because it hits all of our happy buttons. We kind of figured that our last trip would be our only trip so we did all the special things we could. It was amazing and now we want to go back and do the whole amazing thing again. Cha Ching. Whats worse is I actually love the idea of staying at most of the moderates, they look lovely...but they're still not deluxe. I think I am just going to lie to myself and say "this is the last time" so I can give myself permission to spend a ridiculous amount on a room again lol

Decision made, we’re going to stick with POFQ. Thank you everyone for your help 😀

Reasons:
€1300 is do-able but is a lot of money for a room
We can visit the Poly anyway
We haven’t stayed at POFQ before so I’m looking forward to it
Lots of people love POFQ and based on what I’ve read I think we’ll really enjoy it there
Would love to do a Monorail resort sometime but actually prefer the Epcot resorts so will save this money for one of them on another trip
We don’t spend lots of time in MK

Phew...done 😄
I think this a good decision for very good reasons.

You should watch the TimTracker videos of POFQ and POR grounds tours if you havent already. Those connected resorts look very nice and I really love the idea of all the shade the trees there provide. That will come in handy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter