Talk me into/out of buying RIV direct...

Sprinkles&Sprints

Mouseketeer
Coming to the experts for some much needed advice - thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

Background: my family and I have vacationed on property at WDW regularly my entire life (now in my 40s) and the past several years we've gone multiple times a year. I'm also a huge planner...so on paper I am the target demographic for DVC :)

For the past 15 years, we've stayed exclusively at the Swan or Dolphin - absolutely love the location, and we've been blessed to benefit from substantial discounts. Had explored DVC off and on but it never made sense until our most recent Christmas/NYE trip when Swan and Dolphin prices skyrocketed. Even during the off seasons, the prices are not what they once were.

Started looking into DVC seriously and stumbled into a resale CCV Guaranteed week 52...addonitis soon followed w/ a resale GFV contract.

My dilemma: I am in the market for my *final* 150-200 points and want those points to be at a home resort near EPCOT, as it's our absolute favorite park. The Swan/Dolphin have spoiled me - being able to walk to EPCOT and HS is a gamechanger for my family - but can't rationalize resale BWV and BCV. The next closest option would be RIV.

I've looked into direct and while I'm not bothered by RIV resale restrictions I'm struggling with what direct is really getting me:

1) Annual Passes: We always travel the week between Christmas - NYE, so I need the Incredipass...so no benefit there.
2) Staying at other resorts: I'm really buying these points to be close to EPCOT/HS - and unless I wait for 2042 - I don't envision any new construction getting us any closer than RIV. So if I use these points exclusively at RIV, I'm basically treating them like restricted points.
3) Combining with other contracts: Since I plan to use the FW at CCV, and my GVF points at GVF or another monorail resort, I don't expect us to need to combine...

The only upside to buying direct that I can see would be securing a Guaranteed Week, which I do think will come in handy down the road when there are many RIV resale owners only able to book there...but is that premium worth 15k?

What am I missing?

There's also part of me that says stick with Swan/Dolphin for our non-Dec trips and just wait and see what Disney has up their sleeve...

Decisions, decisions...!!

Last edited:
Hard to say. If you really don't benefit from any of the direct benefits, and you only use them at riviera then resale would be the best value, but with very little flexibility. If you are 100% sure you won't want to use the points elsewhere, and want to save the cash then go resale. If the extra money for the direct contract won't hurt you much and you think your plans may change (like if you think Disney may build a new resort you may want access to at 7 months without buying more points) then go direct.

I did the opposite and bought resale BWV instead. I love being withing walking distance to 2 parks. Having to wait in line for the skyliner during busy times, or having to use the bus if the skyliner goes down (maintenance, weather, etc) made enough of a difference that I didn't want RIV to be our only Epcot area resort. We also happened to get our BWV contract at $99 per point which was much cheaper than RIV, it just has a shorter expiration date. We could buy a RIV resale contract after our BWV contract expires if they never offer extension, etc in the future to keep an Epcot resort in our rotation.

Good luck on your decision!

There are some good deals floating around on Boardwalk right now if you look on the multilisting sites that list like 9 or so brokers. I am not normally a fan of the 18 year resorts but if someone wants walking distance in the fall (especially on a holiday weekend) it is your best shot. If the direct benefits are not worth it to you, I would ONLY buy direct if you get a week 52 fixed week Studio, that is where the value is especially if you want the standard view if by some chance that I still available, which it may very well not be. There are some pretty good deals on Riviera resale as well if you do not mind the restrictions. We have not had our points loaded yet (closed but waiting) but we bought 250 Dec Riviera resale for around $119 per point if I recall with 399/250/250/250 loaded on it for comparison to direct. The resale restrictions for use on Riviera will be challenging if you have to cancel a trip within 30 days of travel and book a stay within 2 months so keep that in mind. Also it is one that is very tough to book it seems within that 7 month window so have to be sure and be mindful of the banking deadline and plan accordingly. I think as part of a portfolio realizing what you have a Riviera resale can be a great addition. We are contemplating possibly adding a 150 pt direct at Disneyland or Poly 2 depending on if incentives get way better and on if they do anything interesting with a new 2.0 product. We bought Grand Cal at 240 and 275 Poly at $110 so we have options to work with as well. Good luck.

Coming to the experts for some much needed advice - thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

Background: my family and I have vacationed on property at WDW regularly my entire life (now in my 40s) and the past several years we've gone multiple times a year. I'm also a huge planner...so on paper I am the target demographic for DVC :)

For the past 15 years, we've stayed exclusively at the Swan or Dolphin - absolutely love the location, and we've been blessed to benefit from substantial discounts. Had explored DVC off and on but it never made sense until our most recent Christmas/NYE trip when Swan and Dolphin prices skyrocketed. Even during the off seasons, the prices are not what they once were.

Started looking into DVC seriously and stumbled into a resale CCV Guaranteed week 52...addonitis soon followed w/ a resale GFV contract.

My dilemma: I am in the market for my *final* 150-200 points and want those points to be at a home resort near EPCOT, as it's our absolute favorite park. The Swan/Dolphin have spoiled me - being able to walk to EPCOT and HS is a gamechanger for my family - but can't rationalize resale BWV and BCV. The next closest option would be RIV.

I've looked into direct and while I'm not bothered by RIV resale restrictions I'm struggling with what direct is really getting me:

1) Annual Passes: We always travel the week between Christmas - NYE, so I need the Incredipass...so no benefit there.
2) Staying at other resorts: I'm really buying these points to be close to EPCOT/HS - and unless I wait for 2042 - I don't envision any new construction getting us any closer than RIV. So if I use these points exclusively at RIV, I'm basically treating them like restricted points.
3) Combining with other contracts: Since I plan to use the FW at CCV, and my GVF points at GVF or another monorail resort, I don't expect us to need to combine...

The only upside to buying direct that I can see would be securing a Guaranteed Week, which I do think will come in handy down the road when there are many RIV resale owners only able to book there...but is that premium worth 15k?

What am I missing?

There's also part of me that says stick with Swan/Dolphin for our non-Dec trips and just wait and see what Disney has up their sleeve...

The direct RIv points will be give you access to other new resorts so in 2043 you’d at least have 7 month booking ability for those resorts.

We love it and it’s our top resort!

What am I missing?

We bought RIV becuse we really wanted an Epcot area resort. Trying to get into BCV and BWV has kind of turned into a game for me but I’ve been getting BWV pretty regularly and now am starting to feel bad about not staying at RIV more frequently LOL. I have a hard time letting go of BWV when I have BW view studios booked. Regardless, we love Riviera and are glad knowing we at least have somewhere past 2042 we’ll be able to stay close to our favorite park.

Won’t talk you out of it, you have to decide.

We bought 4 resale contracts and then150 direct at RIV. We didn’t want to deal with the restrictions and knowing RIV will outlast us, we wanted access to all the DVC resorts in the future.

We have lifetime Titanium status at Marriott, but I can’t imagine staying at Swolphin being my forever plan. It’s just not the same.

While not knowing too much about WDW compared to Disneyland I had the gut feeling that EPCOT would be the park we would want to visit most often over the years/decades to come and given that we are a somewhat young DVC family getting into this game Riviera ultimately won our hearts over some of the other options we were considering.

feel bad about not staying at RIV more frequently

This summer will be our 2nd trip to WDW after becoming DVC members/owners and we are also giving BWV a try and skipping RVA. I think we'll like BWV but we do feel bad not going to RVA.

Keep in mind we bought Direct in the summer of 2020 so we got a very good deal, as we could combine incentives with our CCV contract. My only regret in hindsight is not buying a FW, as we instead bought two smaller contracts so that we could leave them to my kids and each could have points. I’m still kicking myself for not doing the FW.

Riviera is not our vibe, generally speaking. CCV/BRV and AKV is. DH loves the Boardwalk of all Epcot resorts and while I love the BWV vibe, I prefer Stormalong Bay.

So why did we buy RIV?

Like you, we wanted an EPCOT resort. We knew once the kids were grown, we’d want to do Food & Wine Festival long weekends from time to time. We both love Epcot and prefer entering from the World Showcase. We don’t mind resort hopping and in some ways prefer it, as we can stay near the parks we intend to visit.

Riviera is still not our vibe, but the rooms are beautiful and large and comfortable. The small resort size is nice and easy to get around. We love the Skyliner as transportation (though wish it ran later). We love Topolino’s and Primo Piatto is a great quick service restaurant. And being able to watch fireworks from our balcony is an added plus.

But the points are direct so we can use them anywhere when we aren’t staying at RIV, and thus we have the option of trying to get BWV or BCV at 7 months (which we’ve been able to do a couple of times), while still guaranteeing we’re staying near Epcot. This here was the best compromise for us: we didn’t want more points expiring 2042 but wanted Epcot, and so RIV was the best option and direct points give us the shot at BWV and BCV.

Direct RIV could be used at 7m to try and get into BW/BC & future YC/front of EPCOT resorts. Resale RIV will never be able to access those at 7m.

What about a period in the future when RIV starts to show wear and moves into the “needs some love/refurb category”? Wouldn’t it be nice to have a chance to stay somewhere else close to EPCOT with those points?

Want to head out west to Disneyland at any point in the next 40 years? RIV resale won’t get you into VGC, VDH, or AUL either.

I dunno, I think there’s a TON of value in BWV, given that a standard studio gets generally $40 per point per stay in value vs rack rates (and up to $70). Yeah it expires soonish but compare that with the ~60 extra RIV points you’ll need to buy to have the same vacation (and far more in larger units). Put that extra money you don’t spend on Riviera into some investments and use it to buy a whole new resale contract in 2041.

In your situation maybe stay a couple of nights at Riviera before you buy there to see whether it’s what you want? Which, since your resale points are recent, may mean you need to rent points or pay cash for a couple of nights.
To me walking out of the IG to your resort like you’ve experienced w/ the Swan/Dolphin is not the same as waiting for the Skyliner. Nice as the Skyliner is, it’s not the same as staying ‘in the neighborhood.’
Before we bought DVC we loved staying at the YC & an Epcot resort was high on my list, & w/ the 2042 end dates of the BC & BWV I was excited about the Riviera - but, to me, it’s very different than the vibe of being at one of the walkable Epcot resorts, so for now, an Epcot area resort is a no go, there’s usually pool/garden 1 br.s open at BWV at 7 months, so if I need an Epcot fix I could use my points for a BWV villa at 7 months.

Hard to say. If you really don't benefit from any of the direct benefits, and you only use them at riviera then resale would be the best value, but with very little flexibility. If you are 100% sure you won't want to use the points elsewhere, and want to save the cash then go resale. If the extra money for the direct contract won't hurt you much and you think your plans may change (like if you think Disney may build a new resort you may want access to at 7 months without buying more points) then go direct.

I did the opposite and bought resale BWV instead. I love being withing walking distance to 2 parks. Having to wait in line for the skyliner during busy times, or having to use the bus if the skyliner goes down (maintenance, weather, etc) made enough of a difference that I didn't want RIV to be our only Epcot area resort. We also happened to get our BWV contract at $99 per point which was much cheaper than RIV, it just has a shorter expiration date. We could buy a RIV resale contract after our BWV contract expires if they never offer extension, etc in the future to keep an Epcot resort in our rotation.

Good luck on your decision!
Walking to EPCOT and HS is really the best (IMHO :) so I can absolutely understand why you went the BWV route - fantastic price as well!

There are some good deals floating around on Boardwalk right now if you look on the multilisting sites that list like 9 or so brokers. I am not normally a fan of the 18 year resorts but if someone wants walking distance in the fall (especially on a holiday weekend) it is your best shot. If the direct benefits are not worth it to you, I would ONLY buy direct if you get a week 52 fixed week Studio, that is where the value is especially if you want the standard view if by some chance that I still available, which it may very well not be. There are some pretty good deals on Riviera resale as well if you do not mind the restrictions. We have not had our points loaded yet (closed but waiting) but we bought 250 Dec Riviera resale for around $119 per point if I recall with 399/250/250/250 loaded on it for comparison to direct. The resale restrictions for use on Riviera will be challenging if you have to cancel a trip within 30 days of travel and book a stay within 2 months so keep that in mind. Also it is one that is very tough to book it seems within that 7 month window so have to be sure and be mindful of the banking deadline and plan accordingly. I think as part of a portfolio realizing what you have a Riviera resale can be a great addition. We are contemplating possibly adding a 150 pt direct at Disneyland or Poly 2 depending on if incentives get way better and on if they do anything interesting with a new 2.0 product. We bought Grand Cal at 240 and 275 Poly at $110 so we have options to work with as well. Good luck.
Thank you - I think I was using your RIV resale as a benchmark! And also agree that having RIV resale as part of a larger portfolio (ideally one that includes some direct) makes the most sense.

I'm not as enamored by the Skyliner as many others are, especially having waited in the long lines to go back from Epcot to RIV at the end of a long day. I would reconsider BCV/BWV resale but if that does not work for you, consider waiting for PVB 2 direct, as I consider walking to the TTC to get the Epcot monorail no less convenient than taking the Skyliner to and from Epcot (especially as the Skyliner shuts down for bad weather while the monorail does not).

We bought 4 resale contracts and then150 direct at RIV. We didn’t want to deal with the restrictions and knowing RIV will outlast us, we wanted access to all the DVC resorts in the future.

We have lifetime Titanium status at Marriott, but I can’t imagine staying at Swolphin being my forever plan. It’s just not the same.

The direct RIv points will be give you access to other new resorts so in 2043 you’d at least have 7 month booking ability for those resorts.

We love it and it’s our top resort!
I think this is it - if I can't have those resorts as my home, at the very least I can potentially use the points to stay there...thanks for helping me think through.

We have lifetime Titanium status at Marriott, but I can’t imagine staying at Swolphin be
Keep in mind we bought Direct in the summer of 2020 so we got a very good deal, as we could combine incentives with our CCV contract. My only regret in hindsight is not buying a FW, as we instead bought two smaller contracts so that we could leave them to my kids and each could have points. I’m still kicking myself for not doing the FW.

Riviera is not our vibe, generally speaking. CCV/BRV and AKV is. DH loves the Boardwalk of all Epcot resorts and while I love the BWV vibe, I prefer Stormalong Bay.

So why did we buy RIV?

Like you, we wanted an EPCOT resort. We knew once the kids were grown, we’d want to do Food & Wine Festival long weekends from time to time. We both love Epcot and prefer entering from the World Showcase. We don’t mind resort hopping and in some ways prefer it, as we can stay near the parks we intend to visit.

Riviera is still not our vibe, but the rooms are beautiful and large and comfortable. The small resort size is nice and easy to get around. We love the Skyliner as transportation (though wish it ran later). We love Topolino’s and Primo Piatto is a great quick service restaurant. And being able to watch fireworks from our balcony is an added plus.

But the points are direct so we can use them anywhere when we aren’t staying at RIV, and thus we have the option of trying to get BWV or BCV at 7 months (which we’ve been able to do a couple of times), while still guaranteeing we’re staying near Epcot. This here was the best compromise for us: we didn’t want more points expiring 2042 but wanted Epcot, and so RIV was the best option and direct points give us the shot at BWV and BCV.
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts - you captured many of my feelings perfectly.

What I'm struggling with is the 'buy where you love' because I don't love RIV. I like it but don't LOVE it the way I know you should to make this kind of investment. It is a fantastic resort, but not my vibe...though it checks so many of the other boxes I guess it's in the 'buy where you don't mind staying' category. Or to your point, it's the best compromise :)

Direct RIV could be used at 7m to try and get into BW/BC & future YC/front of EPCOT resorts. Resale RIV will never be able to access those at 7m.

What about a period in the future when RIV starts to show wear and moves into the “needs some love/refurb category”? Wouldn’t it be nice to have a chance to stay somewhere else close to EPCOT with those points?

Want to head out west to Disneyland at any point in the next 40 years? RIV resale won’t get you into VGC, VDH, or AUL either.
Yep - I think you're right in that buying RIV direct would be my only shot at coming close to the post 2042 BCV/BWV/YC @ 7 months.

Thank you all for taking the time to share such thoughtful advice - I really appreciate it! We're headed down to WDW later this week and I plan on going on a mini recon to RIV to check it out again before any final decisions are made :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter