Taking Uber/Lyft - Security Line Strategy

countofmc

Mouseketeer
Will be at DL this week. We're staying offsite and will be ridesharing to the parks. I've been reading the security lines at the Harbor entrance can get long, so I've been thinking of alternative strategies.

(1) Can I cut through GCH? I know they no longer let you walk in from the sidewalks, but what about if you are taking a rideshare in? Do you still have to give a "reason" for coming to the hotel, or could I be dropped off right at the entrance and then cut through the hotel into DTD security?

(2) If I cannot cut through GCH, would it be worth being dropped off near the DTD security lines? These lines are almost at DLH right? I'm thinking this wouldn't save much time because any theoretical time saved going through security would be spent walking through DTD...

(3) MF Garage - I read the security is pretty short here and then I can hop on the tram, but not sure if there's anyplace for Uber to drop me off.

- Next week is not forecast to be that crowded, so am I just overtly worried about security on Harbor? Should I just go through there? My hunch is if my (1) GCH strategy is a no-go, then just going through Harbor may be the best option?

There is drop off area in DTD that is near where ESPN Zone and Rainforest Cafe were.

You will get turned from the GHC and DLH unless you are on a reservation. You can be dropped off at the PPH hotel.

There is drop off area in DTD that is near where ESPN Zone and Rainforest Cafe were.

You will get turned from the GHC and DLH unless you are on a reservation. You can be dropped off at the PPH hotel.

Thanks, is the DTD security line usually shorter than the Harbor one? Trying to decide where to ask Uber to drop me off in the morning

FWIW: 1) no. The guard will check to see if you are a registered guest or have a dining reservation. (This is not a big loss to you because GCH into DtD can get backed up. DtD will be much shorter.)

FWIW: 1) no. The guard will check to see if you are a registered guest or have a dining reservation. (This is not a big loss to you because GCH into DtD can get backed up. DtD will be much shorter.)

Thanks, this is interesting because I've read GCH into DTD is super short due to only GCH guests being able to use it.

Just so I have this straight, the DTD security lines are the ones almost right at Disneyland Hotel, right? By Earl of Sandwich? I think the last time I stayed at DLH was about 3 years ago and back then the security lines were much closer to the actual parks. And once I get through that security it's straight into the parks, correct? No additional security closer to the parks?

-BTW, can I still have Uber pick me up at GCH? One thing we liked to do if leaving the park mid-day was to exit DCA through GCH and then just get an Uber in the Valet area. Wondering if that's still an option.

Thanks, this is interesting because I've read GCH into DTD is super short due to only GCH guests being able to use it.

Just so I have this straight, the DTD security lines are the ones almost right at Disneyland Hotel, right? By Earl of Sandwich? I think the last time I stayed at DLH was about 3 years ago and back then the security lines were much closer to the actual parks. And once I get through that security it's straight into the parks, correct? No additional security closer to the parks?

-BTW, can I still have Uber pick me up at GCH? One thing we liked to do if leaving the park mid-day was to exit DCA through GCH and then just get an Uber in the Valet area. Wondering if that's still an option.
We waited 15-20 mins on two mornings the week before Xmas last year to get into DtD. All of GCH (with its 950 guest rooms!) has just a couple security lines so if the majority of guests at one time happen to be families trying to beat the crowds to DL it can get crowded fast in the morning. Not 45 min Harbor disaster level, but not great. There is a good reason nobody else is allowed to pass through from outside GCH!

DtD security is near the old rainforest cafe I believe, which makes it even more convenient than security over by DLH for ride share drop offs. Only one security check no matter how you enter.

Idk about being picked up at GCH.

I don’t see why you couldn’t get picked up at GCH. We had Lyft pick us up there, we were guests but nobody said anything to us so I’m guessing they didn’t know/care if we were guests.

Yes, we walked out through GCH and called for a Lyft once. Our preferred exit strategy, however, was monorail right before park closing from Tomorrowland to Downtown Disney. Then, less than 5 minute walk to Disneyland Hotel for an easy Lyft pick-up. Magical way to end the day!

You can use the Grand Californian as an easy pick up spot when you’re ready to head back but they won’t allow drop offs there. Harbor security is so bad that getting dropped off at the DL Hotel or Downtown Disney drop off area, breezing through the short security, & walking through Downtown Disney is frequently faster and less stressful than getting dropped off at that backed up pickup/drop off area on Harbor and then waiting forever in that security line. The parking garage security is worse that The Downtown Disney/Hotel security but still better than Harbor security. If you’re a slow walker, have mobility issues, or are with a huge group it can sometimes be easier/faster to deal with the parking garage security to get the tram but honestly I’d rather just walk at that point myself. Especially because you can get stuck waiting for multiple teams before you can get on. So you have plenty of options but each with their own set of pros and cons.

We are also planning on doing Uber and plan to be at the parks well before rope drop this coming Friday and Saturday. Will Harbor security lines be terrible that early in the morning? Will we be better off getting dropped at DTD as well? Thank you for starting this thread @countofmc :goodvibes

We are also planning on doing Uber and plan to be at the parks well before rope drop this coming Friday and Saturday. Will Harbor security lines be terrible that early in the morning? Will we be better off getting dropped at DTD as well? Thank you for starting this thread @countofmc :goodvibes
Yes always choose dtd instead of harbor if ubering.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter