Taking food off the ship

Rob1872

DIS Veteran
I saw a post a few days ago where people were being warned not to take fruit off of the ship because it would be confiscated in customs, and recommending people to stick to pre-packaged cereal containers and bags of chips, etc.

My DW wanted me to ask if anyone knew if things like crackers would get past the customs in Mexico and Grand Caymans. My youngest DS is slightly autistic, and can get VERY picky on what he eats. Right now he is fixated on Flipside crackers (cracker on one side, pretzel on the other side). My wife was hoping if we brought a box of them along with us, if she would be able to bring along a small zip-lock bag with a snack's worth of crackers.

Anyone have any experience in trying to bring a dry food like crackers off the ship? Thanks!

You don’t really go they customs when you get off at Caribbean ports. I believe that as long as something is pre-packaged it is ok.

I saw a post a few days ago where people were being warned not to take fruit off of the ship because it would be confiscated in customs, and recommending people to stick to pre-packaged cereal containers and bags of chips, etc.

My DW wanted me to ask if anyone knew if things like crackers would get past the customs in Mexico and Grand Caymans. My youngest DS is slightly autistic, and can get VERY picky on what he eats. Right now he is fixated on Flipside crackers (cracker on one side, pretzel on the other side). My wife was hoping if we brought a box of them along with us, if she would be able to bring along a small zip-lock bag with a snack's worth of crackers.

Anyone have any experience in trying to bring a dry food like crackers off the ship? Thanks!

Does it not come in pre-sealed packaging? If you're going to 100% have to have it, you'll need unopened packages in each port. You *might* get away with it in ziplock baggies, but if caught it's a big fine AND confiscation.

You don’t really go they customs when you get off at Caribbean ports. I believe that as long as something is pre-packaged it is ok.

Pre-packaged, yes. In a ziplock baggie? Probably not.

I'd prefer to not bring 3 full boxes of them (think standard cereal box size) so I'd have an unopened package at each port.

Having said that, for what we paid for the cruise, I suppose we could bring 3 boxes along, and then throw out what wasn't eaten and pack souvenirs in the luggage space that had the boxes on the way down.

Do they come in a single pack like cereal or are they wrapped in cracker sleeves? I wonder if you could just take an unopened sleeve in each port? Also, do they come in smaller boxes?

Do they come in a single pack like cereal or are they wrapped in cracker sleeves? I wonder if you could just take an unopened sleeve in each port? Also, do they come in smaller boxes?
Unfortunately they come in a single pack like cereal, and we've only seen one size box in the commissary. (Maybe we'll have to cruise the grocery stores looking for a smaller size.) But in the greater scheme of things, we can work around it. We're just looking forward to getting a happy week of family time together in just over 2 weeks!!!

Unfortunately they come in a single pack like cereal, and we've only seen one size box in the commissary. (Maybe we'll have to cruise the grocery stores looking for a smaller size.) But in the greater scheme of things, we can work around it. We're just looking forward to getting a happy week of family time together in just over 2 weeks!!!
If you go to the Keebler website and to the "where to buy them", it allows you to look for three Flipsides products, two different sizes and I don't know what the third is:
upload_2017-10-18_22-39-35.png

Here's the website, in case it helps you:
https://www.townhousecrackers.com/en_US/where-to-buy.html#product=Product_4509238@EN_US

First what people have said about the rules are 100% true, and I would not take any fruits or vegetables off the ship under any circumstance. There is no one going to stop or look if you have a small ziplock bag of crackers in your purse or jacket pocket. You go thru security on the way back ON to the ship. Sometimes twice, once for the port and once on the ship. You are fine getting off in port. Please don't waste food and buy three large boxes if the plan would be to throw 3/4 of each box away.

Human factor - Leaving the ship I have seen food in ziplock baggies pass inspection and other times similar food was forcibly discarded. One man used a seal-a-meal for his son's special treat trying to meet sealed packaging requirement -- didn't work, was forced to discard. Technically, food has to be in original, sealed package. I have dietary restrictions and purchase small packages rather than risk having special food thrown away.

The main things they are looking for are agricultural and farm products(think customs form you fill out). If you are bringing in fruit or veggies or animal products such as meat or dairy(i have brought sealed beef jerky no problem). Best bet is to show them going through, as any fine that might be inposed is for not declaring stuff and purposely trying to sneak through. I've never had a problem bringing most snacks likes chips (half open bags)etc through. The only time they even wanted to inspect one of my snacks was a can of peanuts, but luckily that was still sealed.

We take food off in baggies.....usually trail mix, nuts, candy. Never had a problem.
I don't even remember anyone looking in my bag.
No fruit though

No issues if you are just visiting the ports as you will not be going through Customs ... enjoy!

No issues if you are just visiting the ports as you will not be going through Customs ... enjoy!

This is NOT correct at some ports. True that you don't go through customs, but some of the ports do have bag inspectors and sniffing dogs, etc. They are serious. Having said that, I agree with previous posters, they are mostly looking for fruits and nuts and meats, but technically they might confiscate any food that isn't factory sealed. Extra food doesn't have to go to waste. I'm sure others in your tour groups etc will be happy to munch once your son has had his fill. Might be nice for him to know that others like what he likes and that his mother is providing snacks for all!

Last edited:
As mentioned, to be assured you will be able to take it off the ship, it needs to be in factory sealed packaging. Otherwise, you could be forced to throw it away and possibly face a hefty fine. Some ports use dogs which will alert to food in bags. So while people are saying their bags were not searched when getting off the ship in port, it is possible there will be a dog there which could catch the food. I'd rather be safe than sorry in this situation.

As mentioned, to be assured you will be able to take it off the ship, it needs to be in factory sealed packaging.

This is not true. If its an allowed item, it doesn't necessarily need to be factory sealed(dependany on item). If its prohibited, even if its factory sealed it will be confiscated and destroyed. Its more about allowed vs probibited. Its always best to just declare it.

I had never heard of these, so I googled them out of curiosity. The regular size box is $2.50 at Wal-Mart, same price at Amazon. Sounds like a typical smallish cracker box, nothing too crazy in terms of packing, and you're likely to need more room than they take up for souvenirs! :) In the grand scheme of things, far, far more food will be wasted on board then a couple bucks worth of crackers at a couple ports. I don't think it's worth worrying about that, when the alternative is a food-related meltdown in port and no way to fix it. But like PP said, you can offer to other travel companions, or even to locals, not literally throw it away.

You will need to find someone who sells the single serve packs. If you’ve seen them in a commissary or vending machine that means they exist. I would check Costco or Sams club as those are the most likely places people who own vending machines etc are getting their products.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter