Taking a two month old

BabyPiglet

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

We will be taking our son (who will be almost 10 weeks old) at the end of November for his first trip. It was very last minute, so I'm scurrying to put together a plan. My husband and I will be going with my parents, so we will have some extra help. We will be going again next year, so we are fine with taking a slow and easy trip. We really just want to see the Christmas stuff! Either my husband and I plan on wearing him and taking our stroller as well.

Does anyone have any advice for taking an infant? I'm also looking for trip reports involving a baby. Since I'm sure this question gets asked a lot, can someone at least link me to a helpful thread? Having trouble when trying to use the search engine.

Thanks!

I haven't taken a baby that young, but I did take my younger son at only 4 months. Our older son (4 years old) was with us as well. We took it very easy. We were there for 5 days and only did a 1/2 day in the MK and a 1/2 day at Epcot. We spent a lot more time at the resorts and made sure to be back early enough at night that both of them went to bed pretty much 'on time', so no nighttime shows for us that trip. If we just had the baby, we probably would have done more- we needed to make sure that the 4 year old was rested and on schedule to avoid meltdowns!

Otherwise it was a great trip! We just had to keep reminding ourselves that this was not a rush rush rush trip and we would just have to catch it next time! We really enjoyed it and had no problems at all!

Use the baby care centers at each park! We never knew how awesome they were until we traveled with our 6 week old. A quite room with rocking chairs to nurse/feed baby. Huge changing areas that are more comfortable than ones in the bathrooms. They can help with any supplies you might run out of, and there is a small kitchen area where you can microwave and wash bottles. Plus, if you are traveling with other kids, a tv room to entertain them while you deal with baby. Although they weren't always a convenient location inside the park, they always seemed worth the walk.

Took our youngest at 5 weeks old. You will find yourself wanting to use the carrier almost exclusively if using Disney bus transportation. The deconstruction of the stroller was so annoying. One carries the baby and one carries a backpack of baby goods. The baby care centers are awesome. You can also strategically scoot into a 15+ minute show at nursing time, like Hall of Presidents and Carousel of Progress if you want to experience them with the rest of your family.

Definitely take a carrier or two. I found it helpful to switch between two types that had slightly different carries so that my back wasn't as sore. Also, I NEEDED a stroller. Not only to give me a break from wearing him, but to haul all of our stuff around. Take a lot of extra clothes, for baby and for you. The one and only blowout my son ever had while I was wearing him was at the MK. And of course I didn't have an extra shirt. As others mentioned, the baby care centers are great. I exclusively breast-fed my kids and just nursed wherever we happened to be when it was needed (sorry all of you nursing-in-public haters), and never ever had a problem. The baby care center wasn't always close when we needed it, which is why I mention that. Also we quickly discovered that the changing tables in the women's restrooms frequently had a line, but the ones in the men's restroom never ever did. So my husband did many of the diaper changes to save time. Have a great trip!

I'd also suggest asking your baby's doctor about bringing a baby that young to WDW during cold, flu and RSV season.
If you are going to go, the doctor might have some other suggestions to prevent infections.
Driving rather than taking the bus would probably expose the baby to less germs.

I agree that taking it easy (sounds like you're already going in with this approach) and utilizing the baby care centers is the best advice! Luckily, at that time of year, extreme heat should not be an issue, but do take baby out of the carrier sometimes to let you both "air out" and nurse/bottle frequently to stay hydrated.

Traveling to Disney with any young kids is an adventure and turns you into a bit of a pack mule with all the requisite "stuff", but I really enjoyed our trip when my son was 4 months. We rode so many rides together since all the shows and dark rides are fine with baby. Consider asking your doc about ear plugs for the baby - all the constant sounds can be a bit much!

Second the idea to bring a stroller even if you're wearing baby in a sling. Definitely a good place for the stuff, as well as an option for a sling break. I also experienced a diaper blow-out in MK that ruined my outfit, so I just had to clean up as best I could and put my light jacket over it. Bring a shirt for mom and dad!

I'd also suggest asking your baby's doctor about bringing a baby that young to WDW during cold, flu and RSV season.
If you are going to go, the doctor might have some other suggestions to prevent infections.
Driving rather than taking the bus would probably expose the baby to less germs.

I was thinking the same thing. We came back from our early December trip sick for the first time after a Disney trip. Our 3 year old caught strep and my husband and I both caught horrible upper respiratory infections. I remember thinking I was so glad DD was older!

Ah, yes, a previous post reminded me..... I took those ear protector headphones for the fireworks. We lost track of time and ended up in Fantasyland for Wishes - SO loud. Those headphones were essential.

This is what I was thinking too, Disney has so many germs due to so many people coming from all over. Especially during cold and flu season.

I've already discussed it with his pediatrician. We will be very cautious of germs and like I said, will be wearing him most of the time to help with that.

Thanks everyone for the advice! For those of you who took little babies, how many diapers did you bring?

We did this, he was the easiest of our kids on the trip. We wore him most of the time, he was in an Ergo with an infant insert and did just the same as he did at home, snoozed, ate and filled his pants. We obviously had to use a lot of baby swaps, and allow time in the baby centres for nursing/changing etc. but otherwise he was quite happy to be worn all day.

Great advice!

To be honest, when I go into the bathrooms and see mothers changing their babies directly on the plastic changing tables, I cringe. The babies are always touching the sides and then putting their hands in their mouths. Who knows how many babies and dirty poop diapers were laid on the hard surface. We took our 10 month old son but I always changed him in his stroller. I always sanitized the highchair or table in front of him as well.

Also check the Disney for Families forum here on the DIS. Lots of helpful information there!

To be honest, when I go into the bathrooms and see mothers changing their babies directly on the plastic changing tables, I cringe. The babies are always touching the sides and then putting their hands in their mouths. Who knows how many babies and dirty poop diapers were laid on the hard surface. We took our 10 month old son but I always changed him in his stroller. I always sanitized the highchair or table in front of him as well.
Agreed. Nor did I want my changing pad that matched my diaper bag getting germy. I took a bunch of those disposable pads (my midwife called them chux pads, others call them puppy pads - I ordered them from drugstore.com). I actually do this anywhere in public, and then just throw them away after the diaper change.

OP - I took a diaper per hour that we'd be gone, plus about 3 extra. And kept a stash in the car for emergencies (we drove everywhere). But I believe you can buy them in the baby care center if you get into a bind.

We took both of our boys as infants. My main advice is to scope out all of the places where you can get some quiet time with your baby away from the noise. Yes, the baby centers are great, but they are not conveniently located. There are plenty of places around the World to settle in and relax.

We also traveled with grandparents to help, and the "down" time described above was split out between us - always 2 with the baby at a time (just in case).

Good luck, and congratulations on your new addition!

We took our younger son when he was 10 weeks. I was glad I nursed him so we didn't have to deal with washing bottles. He did not like being worn though and we were glad we had a stroller. It was a bummer not being able to wear him while waiting in lines.

I've already discussed it with his pediatrician. We will be very cautious of germs and like I said, will be wearing him most of the time to help with that.

Thanks everyone for the advice! For those of you who took little babies, how many diapers did you bring?

I don't remember quite how many, but no need to drastically overestimate. Go for just a wee bit over what you think based on usage at home. You can buy extras onsite and, while expensive, it's not like you're planning to buy your whole supply that way. A few good options for bringing them if you're flying:
1) pack diapers, wipes, bottles and other consumables in a separate bag that becomes your souvenir purchases bag because it will be empty by the time you're done.
2) ship a box with all your consumables in it to be waiting for you upon arrival so you don't have to fly with it
3) place an order with garden grocer for delivery to your r hotel for baby needs plus bottled water, sodas, breakfast items

On the germ problem - don't worry too much! The big problem comes from us touching everything, which a 10 week old won't do. Just wash YOUR hands a ton. Have fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter