Table Service Restaurants for 1st Timers

HDDR, Tusker House (for the characters) and Sci Fi would be my picks.
Definitely Tusker House. Our children are grown and my husband adores the old movie clips (we're old) but whenever we sit in the cars and there are children in the other seats, they are bored out of their minds and think it's dumb. We constantly overhear conversations. Tusker is fun....or at least it used to be when the actual main Disney characters totally interacted with everyone. I hear it's changed.

I would pursue menus, especially if you're headed here during summer months (turkey dinners are awesome. However they are NOT awesome when the heat index can and will reach 110+).

If you aren't opposed to eating outside the parks, Boma at AKL is awesome and we will drive over just to eat there. In parks our go-to is Sci-Fi (Hollywood Studios), Tusker House (AK), Spice Road (Epcot). Sadly there is nothing that interests us at MK so we hop on the monorail and choose something from one of those hotels.

We always like Boathouse. Dinner there last Summer and this Spring, enjoyed both times.

Topolino's too, but that's already your favorite as well!

It's been awhile (2019), but Hollywood Brown Derby was a nice break from the heat of the park.

I know some people don't think much of Cinderella's Royal Table, but with younger kids the experience of dining in the castle with the princesses was great. I always thought the meal was solid too. Pricey? Sure, but you have to consider the overall experience in our opinion and it was always worth it. Been awhile for this one too, 2019 was our last time here.

Definitely Tusker House. Our children are grown and my husband adores the old movie clips (we're old) but whenever we sit in the cars and there are children in the other seats, they are bored out of their minds and think it's dumb. We constantly overhear conversations. Tusker is fun....or at least it used to be when the actual main Disney characters totally interacted with everyone. I hear it's changed.
We had lots of interaction with Mickey, Donald, and Goofy a couple weeks ago. I can't remember if Daisy was there. They each came around about 3 times. I was surprised they came by so often. They weren't doing the congo line thing anymore, though, which was sad to see. It's been years since we have been, so maybe they got ride of that a long time ago.

Edited to Add: Checked my pics. Yes, also Daisy.

Last edited:
Tusker House at AK for food and theme

Liberty Tree at MK for food

Sci Fi at HS is fun for the atmosphere but never thought the food was great. I'd probably just do appetizers / dessert if I went here for the theme.

We've had fun at 50s Prime Time Diner before, but you have to be ok with the interaction. Might not be for everybody.

I actually had a really lovely meal at Coral Reef in Epcot our last trip. The crab soup was amazing.

We also had a great time at La Hacienda. The food was very good except for the chips which were a little stale, but everything else was amazing. We had a window seat to watch the fireworks which was a highlight of the trip I'm glad I did.

We love eating in the ice cave at T-Rex in Disney Springs. The food is just ok, but it was always great for my picky eaters who preferred the menu there to most places at Disney. I really just like the atmosphere. It's such a fun place to eat.

Really enjoyed Cape May for breakfast, come to think of it all my recent TS experiences have been at breakfast. We like to spend the time in the parks, especially as first timers.

Steakhouse 71 is great for both breakfast and dinner. Citrico's is awesome. Rosa Mexicano at the Dolphin. Trottoria Al Forno at the Boardwalk.

Magic Kingdom: Be Our Guest or quick service. Maybe leave and go to 1900 Park Fare

Epcot: Garden Grill

Studios: Woody's Roundup BBQ or 50's Primetime

Animal Kingdom: Tusker House

Other: Sanaa, Jaleo, Whispering Canyon Cafe

I was mostly avoiding signature restaurants, but for something fancier, Flying Fish or Jiko

We had lots of interaction with Mickey, Donald, and Goofy a couple weeks ago. I can't remember if Daisy was there. They each came around about 3 times. I was surprised they came by so often. They weren't doing the congo line thing anymore, though, which was sad to see. It's been years since we have been, so maybe they got ride of that a long time ago.

Edited to Add: Checked my pics. Yes, also Daisy.
I remember it being our most favorite character experience. And we didn’t even have small children (grown up).

I remember it being our most favorite character experience. And we didn’t even have small children (grown up).
Yes, I have to admit to doing this more than once without kids. I just really love the food and the ceiling decor!

Tusker House at AK for food and theme

Liberty Tree at MK for food

Sci Fi at HS is fun for the atmosphere but never thought the food was great. I'd probably just do appetizers / dessert if I went here for the theme.

We've had fun at 50s Prime Time Diner before, but you have to be ok with the interaction. Might not be for everybody.

I actually had a really lovely meal at Coral Reef in Epcot our last trip. The crab soup was amazing.

We also had a great time at La Hacienda. The food was very good except for the chips which were a little stale, but everything else was amazing. We had a window seat to watch the fireworks which was a highlight of the trip I'm glad I did.

We love eating in the ice cave at T-Rex in Disney Springs. The food is just ok, but it was always great for my picky eaters who preferred the menu there to most places at Disney. I really just like the atmosphere. It's such a fun place to eat.
X2, aligns with our pix and experience to a T.

MK - BOG, Liberty Tree Tavern, Tony’s.
Epcot - Space 220, Coral Reef, Chefs de France, Tutto Italia.
HS - 50’s Prime Time Cafe and Hollywood Brown Derby.
AK - Rainforest Cafe.
DS - The Boathouse.
AKL - Boma breakfast and dinner.
WL - Whispering Canyon Cafe breakfast.
YC - Ale & Compass breakfast.

EP- Space 220 for the uniques experience (we also really enjoyed the food) or San Angel Inn and sit by the railing to see the ride pass by

AK- Tusker House if you want the characters or Yak & Yeti (our fave)

HS- Round Up Rodeo (lots of decent food and cute ambiance) or Docking Bay 7 (good food and fun atmosphere)

MK- CRT or BoG for experience of eating in a castle

HDDR- kids would love and adults get beer and wine included
Garden Grill- good character interaction and set price. The restaurant rotates.
Crystal Palace- characters, location, and lots of choices.

Although good, I would avoid signatures with the kids. Too expensive and no wow for them.

HDDR- kids would love and adults get beer and wine included
Garden Grill- good character interaction and set price. The restaurant rotates.
Crystal Palace- characters, location, and lots of choices.

Although good, I would avoid signatures with the kids. Too expensive and no wow for them.
I’ll politely disagree with this part of your post.
My traveling children regularly ate at signatures and enjoyed it without ever consuming a chicken nugget.
I believe if children are introduced to adult food immediately after “toddlerhood”, life becomes easier for the family as a whole.
As for the cost, as a whole food adherent, I think you pay one way or the other- inexpensive highly processed food now, higher medical costs later.

I’ll politely disagree with this part of your post.
My traveling children regularly ate at signatures and enjoyed it without ever consuming a chicken nugget.
I believe if children are introduced to adult food immediately after “toddlerhood”, life becomes easier for the family as a whole.
As for the cost, as a whole food adherent, I think you pay one way or the other- inexpensive highly processed food now, higher medical costs later.
Agreed. Those who think "filet" is Good Eatin' Like a Rich Person, and whose favorite WDW restaurant is Homecomin' don't expect much from their kids, and the kids don't let them down. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter