T-REX in Downtown Disney

karinbelle

DIS Veteran
Just finished dinner at this DTD Landry's restaurant. The atmosphere is really cool, and my kids enjoyed the dinosaurs. We were seated quickly. The manager checked on us.

However, for me, the dining selections are pitiful for the price. The food was mediocre at best. The "queso" tasted like velvetta. Everything is overpriced. For a family of 5, the bill was over $100 before tip and no one had steak. Burgers, chicken nuggets, lasagna ... Drinks never refilled.

Well, we can check this one off the list. If we ever go back, it will be just for drinks and maybe an appetizer so that we can enjoy the atmosphere.

To me for a family of five for $100 is pretty good in or near a theme park such as Disney World. It does stink your service was lacking and did not enjoy the food. We have eaten there several times and enjoyed the food and had great service.

On our last visit I had the Layers of Earth Lasagna that was actually better than I expected at a chain restaurant. My wife had the Mammoth Mushroom Ravioli that was also very good.

The price is what it is. You have to remember, this is the same place that charges $2.75 for filtered Atlanta tap water (Dasani) So for an average of $20 per person to eat (to me) isn't that bad at all.

Thank you for your input. We have been to Disney numerous times, and my intention with the post was to inform others who had not been to T-REX with a recent review.

We only tried this restaurant because Raise.com had Landry's GCs at a discounted price, and a friend has had better experience here than found at Rainforest Cafe.

Pixie dust.

We ate here for the first time last week. I had no desire to go there, but my younger DS wanted to go to the Rainforest Cafe near us a couple of months ago and I made a deal with him that if we didn't go (not really a fan), that we'd try T-Rex in Downtown Disney. Well, he held me to it. Not impressed. Wasn't the worst thing ever, but it was super loud and the food wasn't very good. On the bright side, our service was fine.

When I went to T. rex, I thought pretty well the entire opposite. I had the Neanderthal New York Strip, and it was the best steak I remember having. I did have different food, however I found it quite well, though the restaurant may be differently-staffed at different times.

It's one of those "been there done that" types of restaurants. It is loud and the food was average. My kids have no desire to go back so we probably won't.

Pitiful selection? Yep. Agree.
Mediocre food? Yep. Agree
Overpriced? Yep. Agree.
Atmosphere "really cool?" This is where the OP and my family start to part ways. I have a 6 year old bored by it.
Seated quickly? Unfortunately, we were not.
Visited by manager? Hell, our server rarely came and orders were messed up.

But then, it nearly 20 years, I don't think I've ever had a satisfying meal at any Rainforest Cafe either.

Guess it's all a matter of perspective. We had dinner there a couple years ago, at my son's request. Wasn't expecting much at all. Have been to Rainforest near us at home and was kind of meh about it. But I was very impressed with T-Rex!! The service we had there was the absolute best we had in our full week at Disney. Server couldn't have been more attentive, interacted with the kids, kept checking on us. No wait at all past our ADR time. Food wasn't gourmet but I've certainly had much worse--even at Disney! I got a chicken salad sandwich which was actually really good. We were on dining plan, so didn't have to pay the check. But I always check out the prices anyway. Didn't strike me as any more expensive than anywhere else at Disney. Seemed to be on par with most places. And I thought the menu had a very large variety of things. I really don't understand the criticism of selections there. I mean the menu is similar to what you'd get any in any sort of chain restaurant--Friday's, Applebees, Chilis, etc. You can get anything from sandwiches to burgers to pasta to seafood. What else do you want?

I'll agree it's loud in there. But it's a DINOSAUR restaurant! If you go in expecting a quiet, laid back dining experience, you're going to be horribly disappointed. If you go in expecting loud meteor showers, you'll be right on the money!

We love T-Rex. We don't expect amazing food from a place geared towards kids, but the food was good, as good as anything at the parks. The price was fine too. But the atmosphere is awesome if you have a kid that likes dinosaurs. It's not something I would eat at everyday, but a novelty for vacation. Dh loved the ribs he got there.

My son loves dinosaurs so there is a good chance we will try T-rex on our next trip. We have a nearby Rainforest Cafe and we really enjoy it. Dd and I love the nachos and get them each time. Dh tries different things and like whatever he gets. My son is usually not with us as we stop when we are out shopping.

Just finished dinner at this DTD Landry's restaurant. The atmosphere is really cool, and my kids enjoyed the dinosaurs. We were seated quickly. The manager checked on us.

However, for me, the dining selections are pitiful for the price. The food was mediocre at best. The "queso" tasted like velvetta. Everything is overpriced. For a family of 5, the bill was over $100 before tip and no one had steak. Burgers, chicken nuggets, lasagna ... Drinks never refilled.

Well, we can check this one off the list. If we ever go back, it will be just for drinks and maybe an appetizer so that we can enjoy the atmosphere.

We thought the food was "good". and *loved* the atmosphere. My problem with this place is that we often travel in a big group. and *unlike* Rainforest Cafe ( and all other Disney Venues ), trying to book our 15-18 people parties, I got transferred to "group sales" and had to go through obtaining a contract and minimum meal sales and all sorts of hoops. We did it once, and we DID have a good time. But I'm not doing that again. ( as a contrast, I have been able to book the same crowd at Rainforest cafe, over the phone in 5 minutes, no problem ).

Unless they change that, we're not going back unless we're with a small party.

Our tab was around $100 for 3 of us, so I think you did pretty well :) Overall, we thought it was fun to look around, but there was nothing to ever make us come back. Too long a wait for check in, too loud, overpriced and slow service.

I enjoy Rainforest and T-Rex. We got to one or the other every trip.....and I have one near me too.

We actually had a great experience at TRex- I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying it. We were seated early, our waiter was excellent- he kept drinks filled, joked around with DH, entertained the kids- way more than I'd expect. The food wasn't amazing but it was good and we thought the prices were fair considering it's a themed restaurant next to amusement parks. DS3 is obsessed with dinosaurs and he LOVED it. We had fun and would totally go there again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter