Switching resorts and maintaining FastPass+?

Nxsteven

Earning My Ears
Hi all. We are currently booked over at Pop Century but I'm considering switching to Art of Animation. We are currently 34 days out and all of our FastPasses are booked. We booked room-only resort reservations and purchased our park tickets via separate online third parties and linked everything manually in MDE.

If I cancel Pop Century in favor of Art of Animation, are my FP is jeopardy?

Thanks!!

Are you sure they would stay in place, I thought they would cancel FP if someone cancelled resort stays due to people abusing the system? Maybe OP should make new reservation before cancelling old reservation??

Always safer to rebook first - but if you can't for some reason, do we also have any firm data on if you switch resorts, how long after you cancel you have to rebook before they get cancelled?

I remember reading on DIS you have 24 hours after a resort reservation is cancelled to link a new one. At least for Disney Springs, it takes 24-48 hours to be able to link the reservation to MDE.

Is there a particular reason you would cancel rather than "modify" the existing reservation? I suggest "modifying" your current POP reservation to change it to AoA if that is at all possible, rather than a complete cancel and rebook.

Enjoy your vacation!

The safest thing to do is to modify your resort (you can do this online), but if you need to cancel, book the new room first and then cancel the original. I did this yesterday, no problems.

Just modify your reservation. We did this at about the same time out as you currently are. We modified and everything is still there. If you cancel I don't have any experience and cannot help you with that.

I encountered this last month, I moved from a room at boardwalk inn to the boardwalk villas. For whatever reason, the website would only let me modify my resort but would not apply the discounted rate. So I booked a new resort reservation at BWV and then cancelled my old reservation at BWI. This was a package that had tickets associated with it. I had no issues and even spoke to a cast member that reassured me my FP+ would be fine since it's only changing the resort and the FP+ are linked to the tickets and remaining on disney property. My trip at this point was about 50 days out.

Hi all. We are currently booked over at Pop Century but I'm considering switching to Art of Animation. We are currently 34 days out and all of our FastPasses are booked. We booked room-only resort reservations and purchased our park tickets via separate online third parties and linked everything manually in MDE.

Thanks!!
I switched my reservation Pop to AKL a week before my trip last month and they all stayed in place. I didn't cancel my reservation, but I went and did a change to my original reservation. You can go and change what room you have, what deal/discount you have, and even resorts among those. It was super easy and the only thing extra I did was contact DME to get new luggage tags (which they sent overnight to me).

Are you sure they would stay in place, I thought they would cancel FP if someone cancelled resort stays due to people abusing the system? Maybe OP should make new reservation before cancelling old reservation??
Yes, if you cancel and never rebook something. That's what they stopped. They don't care at all if you cancel and then rebook a new room. Just do it right away, not days or weeks later.

Is there a particular reason you would cancel rather than "modify" the existing reservation? I suggest "modifying" your current POP reservation to change it to AoA if that is at all possible, rather than a complete cancel and rebook.

Enjoy your vacation!
The safest thing to do is to modify your resort (you can do this online), but if you need to cancel, book the new room first and then cancel the original. I did this yesterday, no problems.
I switched my reservation Pop to AKL a week before my trip last month and they all stayed in place. I didn't cancel my reservation, but I went and did a change to my original reservation. You can go and change what room you have, what deal/discount you have, and even resorts among those. It was super easy and the only thing extra I did was contact DME to get new luggage tags (which they sent overnight to me).
Just to point out, not all reservations can be modified online. Encountered many different instances where it didn't work for one reason or another. Even when the link worked sometimes you go in and it says you have to call. Seeing how calling Disney can be as much fun as a root canal (LOL) I think it's much easier to cancel and rebook myself. When the modify doesn't work.

Nxsteven, did you switch, and how did it end up?

We're in a similar boat--AP discount came out for our exact same room, but my husband has the AP (we're upgrading an old ticket for me when we get onsite) so we had to book a new reservation under him... and I want to cancel the existing reservation (the non-AP discount) under me... but I don't want to lose our FPs!

Nxsteven, did you switch, and how did it end up?

We're in a similar boat--AP discount came out for our exact same room, but my husband has the AP (we're upgrading an old ticket for me when we get onsite) so we had to book a new reservation under him... and I want to cancel the existing reservation (the non-AP discount) under me... but I don't want to lose our FPs!
As long as you have A resort reservation linked to your account you won't lose FP. They are only lost if all reservations are canceled.

As long as you have A resort reservation linked to your account you won't lose FP. They are only lost if all reservations are canceled.
Merci! The CM on the phone when I went to do the switch told me I’d lose them and so I told her to keep both reservations while I figured it out. Glad to know it was a misinformed CM!

Update, canceled the original online and the FP are still there hopefully they will be in a few days. :)

Last edited:
Though as odd as it is, my FP associated with a canceled reservation are still there 3 days later.
I have a stay that starts on 8/27
I booked a continuing stay starting 8/24 while waiting on the GE preview dates to be announced, just in case I could add on the stay on the 27th
I booked FP for the stay on the 27th and then booked 1 days worth for the 24th, never did book the 25th and 26th.
When they announced the GE dates I moved the stay for the 24th (using modify reservation) to the 16th-18th instead.
This was on Wednesday. On Thursday I got an email that the FP for the 24th stood to be canceled if I didn't link a new reservation.
They are still there. I'll cancel them myself sometime between now and then so they can be used by someone but I'm leaving them for now to see how long they do stay. I don't know if the other reservations before and after that date are confusing MDE or what. But I for sure don't have a stay for the 24th

Though as odd as it is, my FP associated with a canceled reservation are still there 3 days later.
I have a stay that starts on 8/27
I booked a continuing stay starting 8/24 while waiting on the GE preview dates to be announced, just in case I could add on the stay on the 27th
I booked FP for the stay on the 27th and then booked 1 days worth for the 24th, never did book the 25th and 26th.
When they announced the GE dates I moved the stay for the 24th (using modify reservation) to the 16th-18th instead.
This was on Wednesday. On Thursday I got an email that the FP for the 24th stood to be canceled if I didn't link a new reservation.
They are still there. I'll cancel them myself sometime between now and then so they can be used by someone but I'm leaving them for now to see how long they do stay. I don't know if the other reservations before and after that date are confusing MDE or what. But I for sure don't have a stay for the 24th

I'm so curious about this too. Such a weird system they have.

Quick note to say that those pesky FP on 8/24 are there. LOL
I can only guess at this point, they are not going to be deleted by Disney or by their automated system. Will give them another couple of weeks and delete them myself. Just as a test.
Never fret, they aren't hard to book or highly sought after FP. I'm not keeping something someone would be after out of anyone's hands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter