• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Swimming with the dolphins when pregnant in Cozumel?

uncgsweetz16

Powered by Disney
Hi Everyone!

DH and I have this booked but I will be 20 weeks by the time we set sail. I am assuming Disney won't let me but was wondering if anyone knew for sure. Thanks so much in advance and have a magical day!

:thanks:

From what I know--you don't swim with dolphins while you are pregnant. Ever.

Something about them being extremely attracted to you--which could be a safety problem.

I will google and see what I find.

A preliminary google found a dolphin experience in cozumel that explicitly states they do not let pregnant women participate.

ETA: from what I have found--many dolphin encounters around the world do not permit this. From what little commentary I can find, it is b/c the dolphins are more interested in pregnant women (They can tell if you are male or female and if you are pregnant or not) and want to play more with you and ignore other folks--plus they can get too playful and it could present a dangerous situation for you.)

As for the biology of why this happens--I yield to other folks who may know.

When DH and I swam with the Dolphins in Jamaica, one of the first questions asked is if any of the woman were pregnant.

It is a major no no. As another PP stated, it has something to do with the dolphins being extremely attracted to a pregnant woman. They can somehow sense it.

In addition, there are diseases that can be passed from animals to humans; these are classified as zoonoses. I have no idea if you could get one from the dolphins, but it seems like swimming with them is not going to happen regardless.

Sorry...it would be fun! But, it's always a great excuse to book another cruise for after you deliver. :woohoo:

actually dolphins love pregnant women and are very gentle with them...
but these places don't permit it for insurance reasons...

Thanks everyone for your help! I figured as much but just wanted to make sure! Have a magical day and pixie dust to you for taking the time to offer some help!!

:wizard: :wizard:

I just got off the Magic yesterday...I am 17 weeks pregnant with my 4th child and was able to swim with the dolphin in Anguilla BWI (St Maarten day). However, Disney was not aware of my pregnancy (I am still wearing my size 6's with a Bella Band).....we booked directly with Dolphin Discovery so that my 5 year old could participate in the Dolphin Encounter with myself and my 8 yr old and my 9 yr old and DH could do the Royal Swim. Nobody noticed that I was pregnant....just looked like I like to eat!

We had no idea but this was the way to do it!!!! All of the RCCL and Disney excursions had been booked in the morning and afternoon slots which left the 1:30 time open with nobody but us. The whole DVD is just our family and my DH and DS9 were able to do each of the swims TWICE instead of the standard once. We still had to get there on our own...but it was worth it!!!!! We felt bad when others had noticed and asked us how we got the "private swim" and what did it cost?

Nobody noticed that I was pregnant....just looked like I like to eat!

didn't the dolphins notice?
were you actually in the water swimming with them?...usually if a pregnant woman gets into the water with them and actually swims, they will act very differently than they do around others...
it's very interesting to see...

I think my wife was around 18-19 weeks pregnant when we last swam with the dolphins in Cuba. The dolphins themselves were extremely gentle (but they always are) and she had a great time.

The trainers could obviously see that she was pregnant and they spoke about how the dolphins would know that she was. The trainer said that the dolphins would be very careful with her and that they would probably try to rub up against her. He was right and a couple of them did.

We had more fun than the first time we swam with them.

If they let you, you will have a great time.

I did not notice any special treatment by the dolphins...they were quite friendly with all 5 of us. The trainer did give them lots of treats so they were doing everything for all of us.

It was pretty cool.

Probably won't be an issue much longer. Most places are moving to ban the dolphin encounters. The ban in Hawaii goes into effect January 1. I suspect other parts of the world will eventurally folo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter