Sweet Tomatoes and Souplantation permanently closing down

I will note that I've never been to a Souplantation location before. I can't say I've even seen one. What was available in Northern California was Sweet Tomatoes. I remember when their biggest competitor was Fresh Choice.

I'm wondering how the buffet experience will be after this. I've seen a lot of all you can eat places come and go including independents and large chains. If Vegas comes back I'm not sure if they'll reopen the buffets quickly.

Yeah, they may be regretting the new layouts for awhile, but they'll have to figure out something that prevents the guests from touching anything at the buffets that another guest has touched.

I loved them and was saddened when they went out of business here 3 years ago. It makes me wonder if they were hanging on by a thread to begin with?

We would eat at the one just outside of WDW. DH and I enjoyed it as we miss Fresh Choice which we use to have in CA years ago.

:scratchin That's an interesting point and one I hadn't though of, although there's no reason to believe the virus is food-borne. I wonder how this will affect the cruse ships that are theoretically planning to sail again in late summer? (Not that I actually believe that will happen.)

On the cruises I've been on (although granted it's been several years), the first 48 hours or so, crew members had to serve the food at the buffets to reduce norovirus transmission. I'd imagine it would be the same re: covid-19 and that they would just do it the entire trip.

This is the beginning of Coronavirus gift card debacle.

So many places are going to go under leaving their script worthless.

From the email I just received:
For gift card inquiries, refund options are limited at this time. You may be able to dispute the purchase with your bank or credit card company. Otherwise, there may be an alternative option available through the court in the future.

I know I have $400 or so in Regal Cinemas script. I hope they make it.

I loved them and was saddened when they went out of business here 3 years ago. It makes me wonder if they were hanging on by a thread to begin with?

Depends on the location. Part of their problem is attracting customers who don't go crazy. I used to go to their location in San Jose, California. It was always packed for lunch. However, I'm guessing that it was a tech savvy crowd there where most of the people were using coupons.

It's hard enough now to be a restaurant, but a buffet? The virus isn't passed through cooked food (as far as we know), but all those people handling serving utensils, breathing on your food, etc.? I think people are going to avoid buffets like the... OK I was gonna say "like the plague" but I guess it's not really funny anymore, is it? :(:scared::sad2:

Sweet Tomatoes in this area had really gone down hill over the past couple of years. I won't miss it.

:confused3That will be awkward to the point of unfeasible on all those ships that have renovated over the years and gone to island-type stations instead of the cafeteria-type lines. Oh well, but the time I think ships will actually be sailing again, maybe it won't be much of an issue.

I was on a cruise in early March when Carnival, overnight, implemented changes in response to COVID-19. This was about a week before they shut down entirely. They still had the traditional buffet lines, but a couple stations, too and it worked, albeit a bit awkwardly - unclear where the line was, etc. I imagine they would have to put a bit more structure in place before they can begin sailing again, like you said.

The changes I saw I believe will be permanent, or indefinite, anyway: no more self-service at the buffet, no communal condiments (salt/pepper, etc) in the dining rooms, sanitized menus after every use (or a move to disposable) and mandatory hand sanitizer before entering the dining areas.

I will miss Souplantation. They filed for bankruptcy several years ago, so I'm not surprised, but sad.

Last edited:
This makes me very sad. I've loved Sweet Tomatoes for years and years. My daughter is a vegetarian and it was the perfect place for all of us to eat. However, I understand why a buffet restaurant would not be able to continue.

Now, I have to see if I can find a recipe for Joan's Broccoli Salad which was my favorite thing on the buffet ...

This is the beginning of Coronavirus gift card debacle.

So many places are going to go under leaving their script worthless.

From the email I just received:

I know I have $400 or so in Regal Cinemas script. I hope they make it.
They're basically saying to sue them in bankruptcy court.

statement-to-guests_3_Mech.jpg

I don't see how buffet only places survive this. It's never been a great idea from a public health perspective and in the age of corona, it's super bad.

That's too bad. I feel sorry for the employees.

I wonder what will happen to places like Boma. 😢

That's too bad. I feel sorry for the employees.

I wonder what will happen to places like Boma. 😢
I would imagine a switch to cafeteria style or to family style delivery to the table. The same for all buffets in the near future.

They're basically saying to sue them in bankruptcy court.

statement-to-guests_3_Mech.jpg

I don’t ever think I’ve seen anything so blunt from a company before. “Just dispute it or maybe the bankruptcy court will make us pay”.

I feel awful for the employees.

I don’t ever think I’ve seen anything so blunt from a company before. “Just dispute it or maybe the bankruptcy court will make us pay”.

I feel awful for the employees.

Maybe I overstated it. I believe bankruptcy courts deal with distributing assets to creditors. We'll need to see what happens though, although it certainly sounds like they plan on a total liquidation. Not sure what assets they really have outside of equipment and cash on hand.

I will note that I've never been to a Souplantation location before. I can't say I've even seen one. What was available in Northern California was Sweet Tomatoes. I remember when their biggest competitor was Fresh Choice.

I'm wondering how the buffet experience will be after this. I've seen a lot of all you can eat places come and go including independents and large chains. If Vegas comes back I'm not sure if they'll reopen the buffets quickly.
I think Vegas might go with more pre portioned containers a-la-the wicked spoon. Maybe some things will be served by employees. Caesars is remodling the Bacchinal while it is down. So they are planning to open back up.

I think Vegas might go with more pre portioned containers a-la-the wicked spoon. Maybe some things will be served by employees. Caesars is remodling the Bacchinal while it is down. So they are planning to open back up.
View attachment 493732

Haven't been to Bacchanal. I think I could have gone there when we did the 24 hour buffet deal, but with an upcharge. We did go to Wicked Spoon for Thanksgiving 2013. There was maybe a three hour line, but they let us skip the line because we had friends who already had a table. Seriously - that was the best buffet I've ever had. It better be at $50 each.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest