Swan/Dolphin - Disney ??

Mrs Dazzle

<font color=009900>Florida-mad (well, mad full sto
I posted a thread yesterday asking people to convince me it would be worthwhile staying on site. The Swan and Dolphin seemed to both get huge thumbs up, but could someone explain exactly how these compare to a 'real' Disney Resort.

On looking through the holiday brochures to decide if we go with Virgin again (which we are!), I noticed that some brochures quote that although Swan & Dolphin are booked by Disney, they are run be other hotel groups and therefore not Disney hotels.

So - do you still get the length of stay pass (please could someone explain exactly what you get for these before I make the final decision - and convince DH it's the right thing to do and switch to on-site).

One of the brochures even went so far as to say you don't get the facility to have your shopping sent to your room.

It's the little things - I understand in Disney hotels you get Disney logo'd toiletries (is this true), these refillable mugs you all lovingly talk about etc. Would this still be the same in Swan/Dolphin.

Oh help - I'm just sooooo confused!!!

Thanks all, once again

We styed at Dolphin 2 years ago, courteousy of Priceline. We were looking for a few nights on the cheap before staying in the Boardwalk. We have stayed in many properties in WDW, both moderate and Deluxe. I have to say firstly that the Dolphin was excellent value for money. It is a huge hotel - the rooms are the same size as disney moderates (CBR, POR etc). We faxed a room request, we asked for a view of either Epcot or MGM. We got a fabulous view of MGM. We bought our park tickets there (not UMP), the resort has the same transportation bus as Beach/Yacht Club and Boardwalk Inn. The boat rides to Epcot and MGM are excellent (you can also walk to both). The pools there are great. There is an excellent cafeteria on the ground floor. There is a shop there selling disney merchandise etc. There is a laundry room there.

You obviously don't have the theming that disney owned hotels have but as far as location and value for money - this takes some beating.

I've rambled a bit, sorry!!

Hi Mrs D! :)

I have not stayed at the Dolphin or Swan, but will be doing so in May :) :) :)

What I know I can answer is that you do not get Disney Logo'd Toiletries :(

However - I believe that you can now buy a Refillable Mug to use in certain areas of the
Hotel.

Here is a link to some fantastic info about the Swan and Dolphin Hotels that is here on the Dis, that might help you to decide :)

Swan & Dolphin FAQ from the Resorts Board

Let us know what you decide :)

Hi :wave:

We stayed at the Dolphin on our first ever trip in May 99 and it was fabulous! On our second trip in Nov 2000 we stayed in Disney's Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans riverside) and didn't enjoy it half as much as the Dolphin.

The Dolphin is a DELUXE resort and it shows! When you walk in the foyer is amazing, with the tented ceiling and beautiful fountain, sofas all around it, and a pianist playing in the evenings, it is a lovely hotel. The best thing about the Dolphin are the views, when we stayed at DXL we had a view of railings - no contest to the view at the Dolphin, we could see the fireworks from Epcot, the Epcot ball and the Mickey MGM ears, you can't get better than that. It's so great in the morning, they have floor to ceiling windows, just opening the curtains to see the lake, and the boats setting up for the mornings. You can get a boat to MGM and Epcot, it is all part of the fun. The swimming pool is brilliant, with slide, waterfall, hot tubs, a beach and a play area on the sand. You can hire a swan boat to glide around, and there is also a gym and beauty salon if you need them!

You CAN get your shopping delivered back to your room, you CAN now get refillable mugs, and believe me there is no shortage of atmosphere. You don't get the Mickey soap but you do get lots of lovely toiletries arranged in a 'shell'. They have a Disney shop and a great kids club if you have children.

You can include the length of stay pass in your package with Virgin, we did that first time round, but have found it cheaper to book the Dolphin independently, buy a Disney Club Card which gets us half price rooms, and also buy Annual Passes which work out better value than the length of stay pass if you are staying 8 nights or more.

We are going back this Christmas/New Year and I can't wait! :D

If you need any more info just let me know and I'll be happy to help!

We stayed for one night in the Dolphin on our last trip, and I can only echo that it is a <b>fabulous</b> hotel in a great location. We had a fantastic room overlooking Epcot, and sat on our balcony watching Illuminations - pure indulgence ;)

However........ purely from personal choice, and having said all that in glowing terms about the Dolphin, I would still prefer to stay in a Disney resort for the theming. Horses for courses, as they say!

Mrs D - have a look at Deb Wills' Resort Photo Gallery. There are photos of all the resorts (including the Swan and Dolphin) including the lobbies, pools, rooms, etc., and it might help you to get a better feel for them than you do from the limited number of pictures in the holiday brochures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter