SW price drop!!!

focusondisney

DIS Veteran
So I booked our return flights to Buffalo for May 13th on Feb 22nd. I had been watching them for weeks. They only went up in price & our preferred 6 pm nonstop actually sold out of WGA fares. So I booked us on the 9 pm nonstop for $290, way more than we ever pay. Then all the flights that day showed WGA fares as unavailable. But of course, I continued to check several times a day in hopes of catching a price drop.

I checked this morning, nothing had changed, WGA still unavailable. Checked again around noon, no change. Like a crazy person I checked again about 20 minutes ago. Aaaannnndddd..... WGA available for all flights!!! And our preferred 6 pm departure....... $105!!!!! Now have $187 credit for our December trip!!!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

Might want to check your May flights if you are flying to/from Buffalo!!

Last edited:
Checked after I read this and mine is stuck at the same price since opening day. I think this is the lowest it will go.

Checked after I read this and mine is stuck at the same price since opening day. I think this is the lowest it will go.

When are you flying? Don't give up hope! I thought my flights would go down some, but I never expected them to go down by almost 2/3rds. I have family going the end of April, their flights went down today too. Keep checking!

My flights went down today as well. Early May from RSW to CMH dropped from $250 last time I checked to $109. I booked at $144. Still another savings of $35.

When are you flying? Don't give up hope! I thought my flights would go down some, but I never expected them to go down by almost 2/3rds. I have family going the end of April, their flights went down today too. Keep checking!

I'll keep on checking :) I have been flying SW a lot for the last few years and although I check quite often, my flights never seem to go down much. Probably because I typically book off peak flights that are already at the lowest prices. I tend to fly Saturdays or Mon/Tues and do a lot of late night flights.

Still, always worth checking!

I'll keep on checking :) I have been flying SW a lot for the last few years and although I check quite often, my flights never seem to go down much. Probably because I typically book off peak flights that are already at the lowest prices. I tend to fly Saturdays or Mon/Tues and do a lot of late night flights.

Still, always worth checking!

Sounds like you are already booking at the best possible prices. :thumbsup2 I can't wait til DH & I are retired so we can travel on Tuesdays & when deals pop up, instead of having to plan so far out due to work schedules. Only 5 more years!

How does using the credit work? I booked for 5 people and it went down $62 each. If I use the credit but only 3 of us fly will it be $300 or $180? And since I booked for all of us with just one confirmation number would I just put that number in travel funds and it'll take care of each person?

How does using the credit work? I booked for 5 people and it went down $62 each. If I use the credit but only 3 of us fly will it be $300 or $180? And since I booked for all of us with just one confirmation number would I just put that number in travel funds and it'll take care of each person?

You can only use the credit for the people who's names were on the ticket. We are in the same situation right now. Our flights in July went down so my MIL and SIL (along with DH, the kids, and myself), each have a $51 credit. When I went to book our flights for our October trip, since it's only DH, kids, and myself going, we only could use our credits. MIL and SIL still have their credit to use. If they don't travel within the next year, they loose it.

How do you go about getting the credit? I didn't use a travel agent. Do I just call SW directly? Is there a specific number?

You can call them or use the change flight option on the website to change the flight. To use the credit, when you go to to buy the tickets, there is a spot to apply travel funds. If you have a credit, you put your conformation number in along with the name. If it is several people on the same conformation number that have a credit, it will apply every one's credit at once.

One of my flights dropped today. I was originally booked on the last flight of the day from ISP-MCO. I paid $130 for the flight. All of the other flights for the day were over $200. Yesterday I saw that an afternoon flight dropped to $163. I decided to pay the extra $33 per person to switch the flight. Of course this morning when I checked it had dropped to $130 :headache:. So I could have switched without paying anything extra. We each have $33 credit now but I don't think we'll get to use it.

We are going mid May (MKE-MCO). Originally booked in Dec and started out at $167 each way. With this latest sale we're down to $104 NS each way. This is very close to what we paid last year around the same time frame. Booking with points (which is what we did) it went down from 9,695 to 6,011. This put over 7,000 points back in my RR account so I'm really happy about it!

You can only use the credit for the people who's names were on the ticket. We are in the same situation right now. Our flights in July went down so my MIL and SIL (along with DH, the kids, and myself), each have a $51 credit. When I went to book our flights for our October trip, since it's only DH, kids, and myself going, we only could use our credits. MIL and SIL still have their credit to use. If they don't travel within the next year, they loose it.

You can call them or use the change flight option on the website to change the flight. To use the credit, when you go to to buy the tickets, there is a spot to apply travel funds. If you have a credit, you put your conformation number in along with the name. If it is several people on the same conformation number that have a credit, it will apply every one's credit at once.

Thanks! I figured it would only be for the people going, and wouldn't be difficult. Wasn't sure though since none of us have rapid rewards, only 3 of 5 were flying, and we had one confirmation for all.

Thanks! I figured it would only be for the people going, and wouldn't be difficult. Wasn't sure though since none of us have rapid rewards, only 3 of 5 were flying, and we had one confirmation for all.

I would suggest setting up a Rapid Rewards account for each traveler (why not - its free anyway). That said, you don't need a RR account for the travel credit.

if you have a travel credit, you MUST keep that confirmation number (still think its wacky that its tied to the confirmation number and not my Rapid Rewards account). Its easiest if you keep track of exactly how much each person paid.

For example, I book a flight in May 2016 and end up getting a travel credit several months later because my flight prices drop. My notes will show something like:
Conf #: F6Y7FG
DH - $32 credit, expires April 2017
myself - $32 credit, expires April 2017

Travel credits can ONLY be used for that one person. When you book your next flight, it will ask you if you want to apply travel funds. Say I am ONLY booking a flight for myself, not DH. If I enter the confirmation #F6Y7FG and my name and try to apply $64 in credits, it will tell me I can only apply a max of $32. If I am booking a flight for both DH and I, I have to apply our travel funds separately. So I would apply my travel credit, then I would enter his travel credit and it will deduct $64 from our total bill.

I would suggest setting up a Rapid Rewards account for each traveler (why not - its free anyway). That said, you don't need a RR account for the travel credit.

if you have a travel credit, you MUST keep that confirmation number (still think its wacky that its tied to the confirmation number and not my Rapid Rewards account). Its easiest if you keep track of exactly how much each person paid.

For example, I book a flight in May 2016 and end up getting a travel credit several months later because my flight prices drop. My notes will show something like:
Conf #: F6Y7FG
DH - $32 credit, expires April 2017
myself - $32 credit, expires April 2017

Travel credits can ONLY be used for that one person. When you book your next flight, it will ask you if you want to apply travel funds. Say I am ONLY booking a flight for myself, not DH. If I enter the confirmation #F6Y7FG and my name and try to apply $64 in credits, it will tell me I can only apply a max of $32. If I am booking a flight for both DH and I, I have to apply our travel funds separately. So I would apply my travel credit, then I would enter his travel credit and it will deduct $64 from our total bill.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll keep a note of my number and credit, good idea. I also wondered how they knew who would travel, so now I know I'll have to apply 3 different names for credits.

paying $86 each way Pittsburgh to Orlando in September... started out $134 each way (NON Stop of course) Used many RR points and did get 8 FREE flights using RR points. Only paying for 2 flights

One of my flights dropped today. I was originally booked on the last flight of the day from ISP-MCO. I paid $130 for the flight. All of the other flights for the day were over $200. Yesterday I saw that an afternoon flight dropped to $163. I decided to pay the extra $33 per person to switch the flight. Of course this morning when I checked it had dropped to $130 :headache:. So I could have switched without paying anything extra. We each have $33 credit now but I don't think we'll get to use it.

I don't know what time you booked yesterday, but I thought the law changed & you are allowed to cancel & get a refund within 24 hours after you book. If you are within 24 hours of booking, it might be worth a call & see if you can get the $33 refunded instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter