Suppose my mom comes for a few days to 'nanny' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1 Disney will let you stay at the Wilderness Lodge. You just need to plan on getting 2 rooms in order for your family to fit.

#2 The fire code is not just based on room size. Other things such as stairs vs elevators come in to play.

#3 Not everyone loves the deluxe resorts more than the values. I have had better vacations staying at the All Stars than staying at the Beach Club.

1.Yup. We thought about that. Too much money.

2.I know other things come into play, but still, look at comparisons. What's the difference between Wilderness Lodge and Contemporary? The Tower has just as many rooms on just as many floors. Same thing with Yacht Club.

3.I agree. In fact, I've always preferred my stays at the All Stars more than the Polynesian or Old Key West. But we've had great experiences at the Wilderness Lodge. It's just a shame it would cost us an arm and a leg to all stay there.

I don't get the picking on Disney from people here about the not having hotels that sleep 5. Disney has MORE hotels that allow 5 in a room than any other vacation spot I've been to...and we like to travel.

You have the YC/BC, GF, POLY, CR, BWI-that's A LOT of hotels to choose from. Than you have the POR trundle rooms and the family suites as well.

Try going to Aruba, or Myrtle Beach SC, or Las Vegas, or just about anywhere with 5 and it's not easy. We have had to get 2 hotel rooms at places and have had to pay extra $$ for a cot at others. At Disney we know we never have a problem. One room at the YC this May is going to be perfect for us. :goodvibes

I don't get the picking on Disney from people here about the not having hotels that sleep 5. Disney has MORE hotels that allow 5 in a room than any other vacation spot I've been to...and we like to travel.

You have the YC/BC, GF, POLY, CR, BWI-that's A LOT of hotels to choose from. Than you have the POR trundle rooms and the family suites as well.

Yeah, I know. I'm one who does it, but I agree - They give you options.

What I WISH they would do, is make it more feasable to stay in the resort you want to stay in. Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge are 2 very popular resorts, but can't accomidate 6 people in a standard room. What would be great is if Disney had a special deal when booking 2 rooms.

I've seen people do a variation of what you're suggesting but they had two rooms. One room for the GP's and another for the Mom, Dad, and 5 kids. The Mom Dad, and 5 kids stayed in one room (at POP :scared1:) and the GP's stayed in another. The kids slept in sleeping bags. The Dad explained to me that they had booked two rooms and split the kids up on the reservation between rooms.

I do know that for hotels and resorts, when you build the resort you have to apply to the zoning board and that on that request, along with the blueprints, etc you have to state occupancy for the resort. Sort of like building a home, and then specifying whether it's to be a single family or multi family unit. If a resort is zoned to have 5, then 5 is what it can have. DVC resorts are the same thing. Certain types of rooms are zoned for 4, 5, or even 8. The newer DVC's have a 1 bedroom where you can sleep 5 to a room.

To the OP, you could try it, but it might not work out well for you. EMH's are tied to your room key, and it might be tough to get tickets for your Mom, etc if she's just tagging along in the room. Why not either skip Mom as nanny and just limit yourselves to going back to the resort when the 4 year old gets pooped. The 17 year old would be fine on their own. Good luck and happy planning! :goodvibes

Try going to Aruba, or Myrtle Beach SC, or Las Vegas, or just about anywhere with 5 and it's not easy. We have had to get 2 hotel rooms at places and have had to pay extra $$ for a cot at others. At Disney we know we never have a problem. One room at the YC this May is going to be perfect for us. :goodvibes

right, they do have quite a few resorts to choose from that fit 5 to a room. Not many of them if you're on a budget though. If you can't afford to stay at a deluxe, your options are more limited.

Oh I guess we are not alowed to make jokes on this site. Or for that fact about Disney. I thought these boards were supposed to be fun and informative, but it seems if you have any diagreement people start attacking what you say.

Yes Disney does have lots of options for families of 5 but not in the moderates unless I want to book 2 rooms. I can't stay at the Carribean Beach unless I have 2 rooms. So that is not really saving me money. I don't complain about it, I follow the rules, and I go when I have the money to go, I don't "sneak" people in the room or lie about my kids age. Many people do it, and get away with it. Does that bother me, not really, I worry about my life and my family. I don't really care what anybody else does. And believe me, if Disney thought this was such a problem they would have people there to patrol it. They are still making money on that "extra" people that may have been illegally staying in a room.

I think that instead of people taking any negavtive comments or disagreements about Disney, they should lighten up and not take it as a personal attack. It is suppose to be a Discussion board.

I really don't get the picking on people here...

I think that instead of people taking any negavtive comments or disagreements about Disney, they should lighten up and not take it as a personal attack. It is suppose to be a Discussion board.

I read through this thread...and I have to agree with you here

It seems like more and more this is happening. I asked a question the other day regarding purchasing DVC...I had a poster started to lecture me on my finances and told me since I'm questioning somthing why are you buying if you can't afford it...children's education is more important...blah blah. LOL....she doesn't know my finances...and the response had nothing to do with my question.

I'm not saying don't stipulate the rules...and what the consequences will be if caught......and that by doing this you would be going against "Disney's rules".....but the personal attacks...gosh.

And the comment about "being too crowded in the food court...." Disney does allow you to buy food at all food courts....you don't have to be staying at the resort.

Regarding the fire codes....this is the real concern with this. God forbid there was a fire at night....and everyone needed to evacuate. The hotel would know if all people staying there were accounted for....and if anyone was missing. This would be the most important thing I would be concerned with.

Whatever you personally decide OP...hope you have a great trip.

1.Yup. We thought about that. Too much money.

2.I know other things come into play, but still, look at comparisons. What's the difference between Wilderness Lodge and Contemporary? The Tower has just as many rooms on just as many floors. Same thing with Yacht Club.

3.I agree. In fact, I've always preferred my stays at the All Stars more than the Polynesian or Old Key West. But we've had great experiences at the Wilderness Lodge. It's just a shame it would cost us an arm and a leg to all stay there.

Fire codes are based on getting people out safely in a short amount of time. So they calculate corridor widths, number of stairs, width of stairs, etc to get all the people out of the building. It has nothing to do with the size of the room. So it doesn't matter if one room has 750 sq ft and another has 375 sq ft. It just depends on the number of exits to get out.

Larger families just need more money to vacation. It's just a fact of life.

wdisneyaholic said:
Oh I guess we are not alowed to make jokes on this site. Or for that fact about Disney. I thought these boards were supposed to be fun and informative, but it seems if you have any diagreement people start attacking what you say.
Nothing wrong with making jokes. Jokes are, by definition, funny. Since Disney already HAS numerous options for families/parties of five (or more), stating that they should build a resort for just families of five just has no humor. Plus, it neglects to address the needs of families of six, seven, eight, or more.

Regarding the fire codes....this is the real concern with this. God forbid there was a fire at night....and everyone needed to evacuate. The hotel would know if all people staying there were accounted for....and if anyone was missing. This would be the most important thing I would be concerned with
And of particular concern would be that family described on page two - the one who has seven people sleeping in one room (because they made legitimate reservations, assigning some of the five children to the grandparents' room). In an emergency, there's a good chance that not all those people would be able to get out of the room, what with tripping over each other.

Yes Disney does have lots of options for families of 5 but not in the moderates unless I want to book 2 rooms. I can't stay at the Carribean Beach unless I have 2 rooms. So that is not really saving me money. I don't complain about it, I follow the rules, and I go when I have the money to go, I don't "sneak" people in the room or lie about my kids age. Many people do it, and get away with it. Does that bother me, not really, I worry about my life and my family. I don't really care what anybody else does. And believe me, if Disney thought this was such a problem they would have people there to patrol it. They are still making money on that "extra" people that may have been illegally staying in a room.

I don't know if you were refering to me or not...I honestly just wanted to point out that Disney does have a lot more hotels with rooms that sleep 5 than most places. For instance we would like to take our kids to Ireland and Scotland in a couple years. Well, it's 2 rooms everywhere unless I leave a kid at home...just kidding! It just seems like most of the hotel and cruise industry is set up for no more than a family of 4. Only a WDW do we have so many hotel options for our family of 5. And yes, I realize they don't have many options at the moderate level. I was just trying to compare WDW to other vacation destinations for families of 5.

:wave:

When guests wish WDW offered more rooms for families of 5+, I think it is b/c it is a family destination and so it would seem to make sense that more rooms for families would be available.

When the first resorts were built this was a non-issue - the rooms easily fit a family of 5 and the cabins more.

When Disney built the moderates to offer a less costly resort, it left out families larger than 4 (the trundle came later, but only works for families with young children). Would have been nice had moderates been built to allow 5 with a rollaway. ::yes::

When the values came along, Disney said it was to give larger families an option of 2 affordable rooms (no longer so affordable at rack rate). Then the family suites - more of those would be helpful, with some at moderates.

Threads like this become a reminder to many who wish Disney had better options for families - folks are just venting, but such threads tend to become heated.

WDW is family destination. We've also traveled a good deal and do not expect hotels to cater to families unless it is a family destination. In Europe hotel rooms can barely fit 2, never mind 5.

Hopefully, Disney has a plan in the works. :)

Minnie&Nana, you explained it perfectly! That is exactly what I was unable to say.

I think 2 rooms for people that have 3 children of a young age would be very difficult. Will they make sure we have connecting rooms? What happens if they do not have any left at that time, do I need to worry about that when I am going on vacation? Take for example going to the AllStars, my kids are 9 and under, so we technically could fit into 1 room at the Allstars. Yes I know you can only have 4. Which only leaves the options of getting 2 rooms or getting the family suite. Well since because of mine and hubby's jobs, we can only travel to Disney in the summer or peak holiday times. So then the "value" hotel does not become a "value" for my family. Pricing out 2 rooms or a family suite costs become like going to a moderate. Which has a better atmosphere than the value. So, yes I agree there are many options for larger families, heck if money were no option, then I would book suites at the Deluxes everytime. Since one of the reasons I think people are on these boards is not just to learn new things about Disney, some new tips they never knew, but also to save money.

I just really bothers me how people start attacking others because they don't have the same view or opinion as them. Take a look at some the other posts on this site, its pretty sad. Disney is a great place to go, if I could have only one place to vacation for the rest of my life I would go there. But it is not perfect, and its still a business. They want to make money, I don't think they care if they are making the money on the legal or illegal person in the room. They are still making money.

I will repeat it again, I do not get the attacks on this board. Eveyone has their own opinions and their own feelings on Disney. That doesn't mean everyone else is wrong.

Let's try to stay on topic on this.:)

lisa-upnorth,

If you think it's ok to sneak your mom in, then do so. BUT Be prepared to be asked to leave if you are caught. I have seen it done at the AS Movies.

We are a family of 5 & would be petrified to sneak anyone in for fear of being asked to leave. It would be embarrasing to say the least.

I would book POR or book another room for your mom at the FL resident rate. It's vacation, I could not enjoy myself & feeling like someone was watching me. Just my 2 cents.

Hi,

Family of :):):):):):):) 7! here!

Although, this doesn't help with the cost... I wish Disney would guarantee connecting rooms for larger families.

When making reservations, it could be done on a "first come, first served" guarantee, with priority given to parents and their children. At the time of check-in, if available, they could also be given to friends or extended family members wishing to have them.

We have had vacations with and without connecting rooms, (we managed) but we are a family on a family vacation and would like to stay together. The Family-Suites are not for us, as we want to sleep in beds, not on pull-outs, and the cabins only offer 1 bath... not convenient with 3 girls with lots of hair!

100% of the guests are not going to be 100% happy, 100% of the time...it just isn't going to happen.
For the vast majority, the rooms are set up fine. Yes, there are those who would prefer more options for families of 5 and more. But, the thing you have to keep in mind is this...as soon as you start adding more beds, and more footage, to a room(s), the cost is going to go up. As it is, the Family Suites are on a par with the moderates.
There is no way that Disney is going to provide rooms, at value prices, for families that need 3-4 beds...that just isn't reasonable.
And as the previous poster said, the Family Suites don't get it done for them because they want to sleep in beds, not fold-outs...so, there is the need for 3-4 beds total.

No one is going to argue that going to WDW is expensive..it is, hugely so. But if you have 4 kiddos, you are just going to have to figure out the best way to accomodate your family, for as little as possible. This will mean that you will most likely have to use a villa (very expensive unless you rent points from an owner) or get two rooms somewhere...that is just the cost of doing business when you have more than 2 kids.
It would be nice if Disney would guarentee connecting rooms if you have more than 4 going...I don't care if there are two adults, all adults or only one adult in the group. It should be the same thing as a particular view....standard, preferred, connecting. Really shouldn't be all that difficult. More expensive? Probably. But, if you reserve two rooms at a value, at $99 each, it's going to be 'close' to what you are paying for a moderate room..just one. Maybe a bit more, but at least you have 4 beds, two bathrooms, two tv's, double storage. Just makes more sense.
Now, if Disney would just get on the ball and finish up POP and make those decaying buildings into a facility that will easily handle larger families!!!

Let's try to stay on topic on this.:)

lisa-upnorth,

If you think it's ok to sneak your mom in, then do so. BUT Be prepared to be asked to leave if you are caught. I have seen it done at the AS Movies.

We are a family of 5 & would be petrified to sneak anyone in for fear of being asked to leave. It would be embarrasing to say the least.

I would book POR or book another room for your mom at the FL resident rate. It's vacation, I could not enjoy myself & feeling like someone was watching me. Just my 2 cents.

I've not seen anyone asked to leave, myself, but, I wouldn't risk it. Grandmothers are very special. The time they spend with grandchildren is precious. I would want to make sure she had a comfortable room. Privacy and space for the family, a little privacy for Grandma, too. :flower3:

Morning all:surfweb:

Talk to grandma yesterday and she doesn't think she will amke it. Too bad but we will manage.I cannot wait to go!!!! I have already started adding things into the luggage!I have it in the guest bedroom and as I think of something, I throw it in!Got a nice fan/spritzer thing at walmart the other day and thru it in! I am in the Disney zone!
:lovestruc Now, I want you ladies to start playing nice:lovestruc

Hope you all have fabulous times at the mouse house!

I wouldn't try, and sneak an extra person in the room because after all the money it cost to go to Disney, I wouldn't want to take the risk of being kicked out. I know Disney does have some options for families of 5, but not for the family of 5 on a tight budget. Not everyone can throw down an extra couple of grand for a room at the BC or YC. For some people spending that money is just not an option, so I can understand why they would try to sneak the 5th person into the room. Imagine saving for years to go to disney, you are told you will need two rooms, or upgrade to a different resort, and it is going to cost an addition 1000 bucks, and now the vacation is out of your reach. Probably frusterating for most people in that situation. Five people, two adults, a teenager, and a little one would be cramped in a value room, the beds are only full size. I think a 3 year old, 5 year old, and 7 year old could be compfertable sleeping together in a full size bed, but rules are rules. To me it is not worth getting caught. I don't think Disney would even know unless another guest complained, and beleive me, there may be a person in the room next to you that sees the extra person, and calls the front desk asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter