Supermarket rewards rebate through PayPal

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
Wondering if anyone has tried this before. I just went to my local supermarket (Safeway) and had a couple of rewards offers that were "rebates". The offers have to be selected first through their app, and they were listed in a section of my "clipped" offers. I've seen these before where once an offer is redeemed (automatically at the register) it drops off where I can't search for the offer and no longer see it in my list of "clipped" offers. Usually it's an immediate discount, but this one wasn't.

However, this one is listed as a rebate to an associated PayPal account. I've never set up this particular rewards account for PayPal and I don't believe there's a way to specify that. It says that it will look at the same email address associated with my rewards account and see if it's associated with a PayPal account, and barring that they will send an email prompting the user to set up an account - I suppose with the requirement that they use that same email address. I do use the same email address for the rewards account and my (little used) PayPal account.

Just wondering if anyone has tried something like this - especially through Safeway or perhaps one of the associated supermarkets (like Vons). It seems a bit more complicated than it has to be if there's a PayPal rebate. I know that mail-in rebates were often too much of a hassle to do all the stuff, and sometimes the could advertise them but then hope that someone wouldn't go through the trouble of mailing everything in, or maybe failing to cash the check.

Wondering if anyone has tried this before. I just went to my local supermarket (Safeway) and had a couple of rewards offers that were "rebates". The offers have to be selected first through their app, and they were listed in a section of my "clipped" offers. I've seen these before where once an offer is redeemed (automatically at the register) it drops off where I can't search for the offer and no longer see it in my list of "clipped" offers. Usually it's an immediate discount, but this one wasn't.

However, this one is listed as a rebate to an associated PayPal account. I've never set up this particular rewards account for PayPal and I don't believe there's a way to specify that. It says that it will look at the same email address associated with my rewards account and see if it's associated with a PayPal account, and barring that they will send an email prompting the user to set up an account - I suppose with the requirement that they use that same email address. I do use the same email address for the rewards account and my (little used) PayPal account.

Just wondering if anyone has tried something like this - especially through Safeway or perhaps one of the associated supermarkets (like Vons). It seems a bit more complicated than it has to be if there's a PayPal rebate. I know that mail-in rebates were often too much of a hassle to do all the stuff, and sometimes the could advertise them but then hope that someone wouldn't go through the trouble of mailing everything in, or maybe failing to cash the check.
I had a rebate a couple of years ago at Vons that went to my (dormant) PayPal account.

This year I was renewing a membership on another forum I'm on and when I got to the payment page, my $12 was still in my PayPal account and I could apply it to the membership renewal.

I could have cashed out the PayPal account years ago, but I would have lost some of the money for doing so.

Seems like a strange arrangement with PayPay since everyone doesn't use it. For some online sites when making purchases I have seen a PayPal option, but then there is alway the regular credit cards as well. I gave up a number of years ago on any of those mail-in rebate offers. Most seemed like a game to find something wrong with your application, like you didn't circle the item on the receipt or the bar code was wrong..............even when it wasn't. I like the types of rebates most stores now offer where you get the reduced price at the time of purchase.

Seems like a strange arrangement with PayPay since everyone doesn't use it. For some online sites when making purchases I have seen a PayPal option, but then there is alway the regular credit cards as well. I gave up a number of years ago on any of those mail-in rebate offers. Most seemed like a game to find something wrong with your application, like you didn't circle the item on the receipt or the bar code was wrong..............even when it wasn't. I like the types of rebates most stores now offer where you get the reduced price at the time of purchase.

I don't get it, but there is no other option for this rebate other than receiving it via PayPal. This isn't mine, but it's an example of one. And the only ones I see are for alcoholic beverages. I wouldn't even complain if I didn't get the rebate since there was already an excellent sale price. The rebate would would be in addition to the sale price.

Coors_Coupon.png

It sounds like they have a scheme going on with PayPal to get more people to join. Then they have things like your email address so they can sell it to others who will bombard you with useless ads................no thanks !!!

Are you talking about the coupons.com app?

No. A Safeway supermarket in Northern California. I showed a screenshot of one of the rebate offers from 2020.

The other thing that does sometimes get me is when I check out the ads online. They're usually regional. I'm not sure why, but my default store for Safeway when I'm using my home internet is a store in Oakland, California. That's fine for the weekly ad since it's the same regional ad. But a few times it would default to a location in Colorado, and their ad was different. Maybe once I went to a store looking for a certain deal that wasn't there.

I look up the ad for Sprouts, and online the default is always Store #2 in Scottsdale, Arizona. Not sure why since there is a Store #1, but that's what it does.

I could have cashed out the PayPal account years ago, but I would have lost some of the money for doing so.

It's been a while, but I think there might be a way to deposit to a checking or savings account for free. I remember over a decade ago I had to respond to little micro deposits. They'd deposit something like 3 cents then 5 cents to the account, and the verification would consist of entering the amounts. At that point there was full access to deposit from my PayPal balance to my bank account. I think PayPal generally only makes money through transaction fees from sellers.

i've seen this on the safeway ads as well. i'm not interested in though b/c i don't have a paypal account and don't care to set one up in large part b/c when i had to deal with a fraudulent issue on my bank card a few months back i learned the biggest number of fraudulent charges they were handling across the board involved the fraudsters using paypal.

Eh, sounds like almost as much of a hassle as those old mail in rebates. If it’s not an instant discount at the register I’m not interested.

i've seen this on the safeway ads as well. i'm not interested in though b/c i don't have a paypal account and don't care to set one up in large part b/c when i had to deal with a fraudulent issue on my bank card a few months back i learned the biggest number of fraudulent charges they were handling across the board involved the fraudsters using paypal.
This is why I closed my PayPal account many years ago and will never use them again. Had a fraudulent charge. Had PayPal remove it. Then a few days later they allowed it again, same charge. Immediately called them to have them close my account. Which was a pain in the rear. Had to sign and fax or mail in documents. They required less to open the account then they did to close it.

Got a message, so it looks good. No amount, and I’m not sure if I qualified for one or two rebates. It came from Neptune Retail Solutions. Now it says I opted in so I guess I don’t need to do this again if I get a future rebate.

So now my PayPal account has $5. I found my paper receipt for that purchase and there are two identical mentions that "Your Digital Rebate is Under Review". It was a "limit 2" mix and match deal for 12 packs of adult beverages for $12.99 (wasn't actually on the shelf tag but I saw the weekly ad), plus a $5 rebate. But the details were scarce on the rebates other than I saw shelf tags mentioning $5 rebates through PayPal, but not whether the rebates are limited to 1 total or a rebate per item since they're from different manufacturers. But the receipt mentions rebates twice, so maybe there's another $5 coming.

So now my PayPal account has $5. I found my paper receipt for that purchase and there are two identical mentions that "Your Digital Rebate is Under Review". It was a "limit 2" mix and match deal for 12 packs of adult beverages for $12.99 (wasn't actually on the shelf tag but I saw the weekly ad), plus a $5 rebate. But the details were scarce on the rebates other than I saw shelf tags mentioning $5 rebates through PayPal, but not whether the rebates are limited to 1 total or a rebate per item since they're from different manufacturers. But the receipt mentions rebates twice, so maybe there's another $5 coming.

Follow up. Only $5 was forthcoming. I ended up spending most of it McDonald’s through their app. I would have cleaned it out if I knew some way to just expend the balance.

I found another $5 rebate and got a message that the rebate is pending.

If you link a bank account you can cash it out to your account. Over the 4th of July weekend my local Kroger subsidiary was offering Anheuser Busch products for $3.99/24 after $15 online rebate. I bought a case of Budweiser, had the rebate sent to my paypal and had it in my bank two days later.

If you link a bank account you can cash it out to your account. Over the 4th of July weekend my local Kroger subsidiary was offering Anheuser Busch products for $3.99/24 after $15 online rebate. I bought a case of Budweiser, had the rebate sent to my paypal and had it in my bank two days later.

I probably wouldn’t. I don’t think this one is linked to a credit card or a bank account. I’ve been using it for small purchases through the McDonald’s app.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter