Super frustrating experience yesterday

The other thing working against WDW is that pre-COVID they had gotten so used to a huge influx of college program CMs every few months. Those kids would come in eager to do a good job, one because they actively sought out getting into that program with Disney and two because many of them hoped to get good reviews so they could turn it into a full-time job later. I swear there were some days that 75% of the CMs I saw around property were CP CMs! Since that program was put on hold for so long, all those positions need to be filled by minimum-wage "regular" CMs. Disney is competing with Sea World, Universal, etc. for that talent pool, and that's only for people who really want to work in the theme park business. To everyone else, working at Disney is "just a job" like working anyplace else, and Disney has fallen to that same level of not even trying to hold a higher standard. It's got to be hard for the long-tenured true believers (not those who are burned out but stuck in their position), as eventually the incessant mediocrity surrounding them will wear them down too...

We just returned from 3 days at DL park and while we had a great time there was definitely some magic missing. We encountered at least 3 downright RUDE cast members. My husband had on a birthday pin and was told happy birthday a grand total of ONE time. It used to be 30 times a day. We used my daughters DAS which meant I had to go to the kiosks to get return times. The cast members working them were fine but they definitely weren't as friendly as they used to be. Before they would ask where you're from, how your day was going...they'd just chat with you while waiting for their little scanner to load. This time... no chatting at all. Just "you can return to Indian Jones at 2:30."

I love Disney. I'll always love Disney. But if you're going to keep increasing prices things should be getting more magical, not less. 🤣

Hey all - we're still in a pandemic. The overall mood of the country has changed and people interactions as a whole with each other has changed.

Take a look this next week and observe this at your local grocery store, customer service desk, pharmacy or airport.

Yes, we expect Disney to deliver above the rest. I still believe they do compared to the rest of industry and overall service delivered in today's environment.

Just perhaps, if we approach our CMs with a smile and enthusiastic greeting to them before our ask is made -- then that Disney magic can be optimized and pixie dust maximized.

Hey all - we're still in a pandemic. The overall mood of the country has changed and people interactions as a whole with each other has changed.
I respectfully disagree. Working in hospitality and being called back from furlough, we still are expected to provide a high level of service and I'm thankful to be working again. To be honest I'm sick of the "well it's a pandemic" excuse. I have been nice to many CM's and sadly have had many rude experiences since reopening. Far greater than any positive ones. Might seem like first world problems but many little things add up to a poor visit. Few examples I can think of over the past few months;

*Scanned into DCA, changed mind and went to DL- CM at DL turnstile said "what's wrong with you? you just went to CA Adventure" (if you park hop too quickly sometimes the tickets show error- but it was after 1pm and was open for hopping, they literally have to tap one more button.)

*Friend had small Stitch keychain in bag, security said "what's that" friend said "oh it's my Stitch keychain" security said "I didn't ask for his name" and rolled his eyes.

*Parking booth CM comment "another Magic Keyholder huh?" as she scanned my barcode. That was her greeting, welcoming me to the park.

Although my local McDonald's and Starbucks both said "good morning" and "have a good day" this week. Maybe they can start to run Disney training. :) I didn't even have to give them $1,400 for a yearly pass or $200 a day- sarcastic but you get my point.

Last edited:
Not an excuse, just reality.

Same reality that the local interactions have changed and if you believe only Disney has had a decline in service during this time -- sure, have more of that Kool-Aid.

Just suggesting that if one starts with interaction with a little honey instead vinegar and snarky comments back, things may have better outcomes.

Same reality that the local interactions have changed and if you believe only Disney has had a decline in service during this time -- sure, have more of that Kool-Aid.

Just suggesting that if one starts with interaction with a little honey instead vinegar and snarky comments back, things may have better outcomes.

I was friendly 100% of the time. I started every interaction with "hello, how are you? Could I please have a return time for....".

I still didn't get the same kind of responses I used to get. I used to get lots of chatting about how my day was going, what was my favorite part, ect. Most of the CMs were still fine. They just weren't that next level friendly I've come to expect from Disney. It's not my job to make the interaction great...that's their job. It just felt like maybe there were so many new people that they just hadn't had the same level of training and that they were maybe a little desperate for employees so they hired people who wouldn't have made the cut before. We did experience 2 or 3 downright RUDE cast members. That was shocking to me.

I still had a great time. I just hope as time goes on they get a little bit of the lost magic back. Because I definitely felt it.

It’s not necessarily about CM‘s being less friendly (although there is some of that). The real problem that I have experienced way too frequently lately are CM’s that have not been properly trained for their job. They don’t know what to do, are confused, seem to have no idea where to go for answers, or are giving out inaccurate information.

It’s disconcerting when you call the front desk of the Grand Californian to ask what time the pool opens, and the person that answers the phone says, clearly unsure and guessing, “uhhhhhh, like… I think 8 maybe…” Friendliness has nothing to do with it (by the way, he was wrong).

On the same trip I had a problem scanning into Disneyland. Would not read my Key. The CM at the gate was plenty friendly, but she could not do anything. She requested a lead, but no lead came. I was very friendly. I told her waiting was not a problem and I knew none of this was her fault. But she was clearly stressed and flustered because she did not know what to do and she did not seem to understand why no lead was coming to help her. She eventually started calling out to leads that were passing by attempting to get someone to come over. Most ignored her. One lead that walked by looked over and literally threw her palm up at the front gate CM in a dismissive “don’t bother me“ gesture. Again, friendliness has nothing to do with it. These are training and management issues.

These are just two small examples from the other day. I know nothing is ever perfect all the time, but there are just way too many of these things happening too frequently. And together they take a toll on the quality of the experience, especially where misinformation is concerned.

I think it's a combination of multiple things and as a lifelong customer service job holder up until about 3 years ago I can tell you that a huge part of it is that the workforce now is completely different.
We are seeing the same issues at my job , and I'm in professional staff but also law enforcement. Specifically to Disney I still hold the belief that people at times have unrealistic expectations or sometimes compare previous experiences to a changing world and environment.

If someone has never worked for their life , meaning for their actual living day to day barely breaking even sometimes having to choose between taking the bus or walking five miles to work so you can keep the electricity on in retail or big box customer service and hospitality you really have no idea how physically and mentally exhausting it is. Have you tried smiling for 12 hours a day , expected to be nothing but oozing cheer and joy while you know you might be homeless tomorrow or if you can make that ramen last 3 days versus one. I'm using my own real life examples just to share some perspective is all and acknowledge that everyone has struggles , and I try to be even more understanding now. I have personally seen by far more rude guests than CM , but could just be very lucky. I also smile a ton by nature , and make small talk asking how their day is , but that's just my natural personality and my way of hiding my crippling depression and anxiety.

Now to the nitty gritty : ALL employers are facing massive shortages and the pool of applicants has dwindled. Part of the issue we face here as well is that we are so short staffed we rush people through training in areas that shouldn't even be happening. For as many people that hate the reservation system , I feel it plays an important role to try and balance staffing with guests and while not perfect do feel the experience would be even worse if not for it. I for one love it but that's another subject entirely.
The hardest time of year is upon anyone working with the public - the holidays. Given the state of things people are looking for more and because prices have increased the expected value isn't often meeting the pricepoint which creates this huge circle of discontent. Holidays are always stressful but many are looking for something they knew and expect the same what they've come to know and love. Unfortunately the entire world has changed , for the better or worse and the best thing I tell people who are going to Disney is comparing things to how they were is a fastrack to disappointment.
However only each individual can decide if Disney makes it magical or the people - I think it's both and always encourage people to email Disney about any issues or concerns as I have ALWAYS gotten emails and calls back.

If someone has never worked for their life , meaning for their actual living day to day barely breaking even sometimes having to choose between taking the bus or walking five miles to work so you can keep the electricity on in retail or big box customer service and hospitality you really have no idea how physically and mentally exhausting it is.

❤❤❤

This exactly. Going to Disney parks is something that people who are financially stable can afford. The majority of park visitors are in a very different financial situation to the CM's.

Take a look this next week and observe this at your local grocery store, customer service desk, pharmacy or airport.

Yes, we expect Disney to deliver above the rest. I still believe they do compared to the rest of industry and overall service delivered in today's environment.

Just perhaps, if we approach our CMs with a smile and enthusiastic greeting to them before our ask is made -- then that Disney magic can be optimized and pixie dust maximized.
You assume I ask rudely for some reason? I am the nicest person when I ask CM’s for something. I know they are busy and stressed and dealing with crowds at all day. I am not coming at them with snark. And no, I don’t expect Disney level service at the grocery store or airport, not even a comparison, but I will tell you my grocery store and pharmacy and other places I frequent don’t feel like they’ve quit caring. It’s not a pandemic thing. It’s a lack of training. And when you pay a premium to attend Disneyland, you expect a premium service in return.

It’s not necessarily about CM‘s being less friendly (although there is some of that). The real problem that I have experienced way too frequently lately are CM’s that have not been properly trained for their job. They don’t know what to do, are confused, seem to have no idea where to go for answers, or are giving out inaccurate information.

It’s disconcerting when you call the front desk of the Grand Californian to ask what time the pool opens, and the person that answers the phone says, clearly unsure and guessing, “uhhhhhh, like… I think 8 maybe…” Friendliness has nothing to do with it (by the way, he was wrong).

On the same trip I had a problem scanning into Disneyland. Would not read my Key. The CM at the gate was plenty friendly, but she could not do anything. She requested a lead, but no lead came. I was very friendly. I told her waiting was not a problem and I knew none of this was her fault. But she was clearly stressed and flustered because she did not know what to do and she did not seem to understand why no lead was coming to help her. She eventually started calling out to leads that were passing by attempting to get someone to come over. Most ignored her. One lead that walked by looked over and literally threw her palm up at the front gate CM in a dismissive “don’t bother me“ gesture. Again, friendliness has nothing to do with it. These are training and management issues.

These are just two small examples from the other day. I know nothing is ever perfect all the time, but there are just way too many of these things happening too frequently. And together they take a toll on the quality of the experience, especially where misinformation is concerned.
Thank you! You get my point. It’s about training from the top. It appears not to be the priority it once was and it affects guest experience.

So, does anyone know when the castle lights up? Tree lighting 5:30 Small world 5:15, Castle no time listed…
Well I never did find out! Lol we just left. Speaking of voting with our wallets, had we known what time it would be we may have stayed and shopped or snacked to fill the time because it was crowded and we were tired.

True about the training (or lack thereof). It's hard to replace good CMs from precovid. Those folk have moved on and everyone has been on a hiring spree to staff up. There's absolutely a learning curve and most of the new CMs are learning by trial-by-fire. Certainly not an excuse, just reality of what the current state of affairs we are in.

We use DAS and interact with CMs constantly throughout the day and are DVC members. Yes, there's a been a palpable downturn in service. It's still better than our visits to other theme parks, and most corporate stores -- even our SD zoo.

As others have pointed out, holidays is only going to get more crowded with out-of-towners entering the mix with longer dwell times in the parks.

If one is waiting for staffing and training to catch up to pre-covid levels, best to defer until Spring/Summer 2022.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter