SunPass

chrisd596

DIS Veteran
I'm sure this has been discussed, let me know your thoughts:

I was in the Tampa area and rented a car. Had $10 in coins to cover any tolls.

Didn't encounter and tolls, but was sent a bill for 3 tolls and a $30 administration fee.

I called and eventually resolved this.

However, since I go to Florida from NJ at least 3 times a year, it seems this type of video toll issue is going to continue to come up. (No toll plaza to pay)

I don't want to rent a "sunpass." Someone mentioned a temporary sunpass, but I believe they have restrictions, like good for only a month, etc.

What I want to do is to purchase a sunpass online, and then bring that down to Florida with me.

It's a shame the easy passes up north aren't good down south.

To me, it seems Florida is making a ton of money off vacationers who don't have a sunpass, don't even know they are going through a "toll video" area.

***Can a sunpass be purchased by someone in the north and be used when we visit Florida? Has anyone done this??

Thanks for the help.

Chris

I own a Sunpass just for our travel to Florida. You can order it online from sunpass.com. You can preload any amount and you input your car info.

We rent a car, so I just add the rental car while my DH is loading the car. You have to walk over by the airport terminal because cell service is awful in the garage.

Works perfect. Just remember to remove it from the rental car and remove the car from your account.

That's just the information I was looking for. Thanks

I did see online that there are 2 differenct sunpasses... one's $19.99 and the other one is smaller and is $5?

What's the difference between the two?

Plus is there a monthly charge for the sunpass?

Thanks again

Ah, from the sunpass site, they say the Mini can only be used in one rental car, after removing it, it will no longer work.

So I will need to purchase the $20...

In the online application I need to add a vehicle, so I guess I just add one of my cars, even though I wont be driving in Florida in my car.

And then when I get my car rental, add the car rental info and then remove that when we're done. Does that sound right?

Final question, I hope:

With a rental car, how do u temporally attach the transponder??

The biggest problem for me is remembering to remove my transponder. There's a lot going on in my head the last day so its not easy to remember. I've left a couple in rental cars.

From a KY resident who always drives - we buy the $5 Sunpass at the FL Welcome Center and activate it in the parking lot. We always drive the big family SUV when we go to FL, so it's usually good for at least 2 trips. Just know, it doesn't work with a temp tag from another state, which kind of stunk on our last trip. I had just traded my old SUV for a new one and the plate arrived while we were in FL. Had to do the change thing, and we were lucky enough not to go through any tolls that we couldn't pay in coins.

The cheaper one is a sticker that only works if it's been physically adhered to the windshield, so I don't recommend it for a rental car. They will charge you to remove it, and you don't want to be scraping it off at the airport rental car return.

Note if you are driving, even if you plan to stay off toll roads, I75 had a big accident on our return last trip and we re-routed. Had to re-enter a toll road with no attendant and it took an amazing amoutn of time for some cars to scrape up enough coins to go through. I almost went to the gate to pay for the cars ahead of us just to get back on the road.

I have the suction cup SunPass. The worst part is updating the license plate number in the app with no cell signal in the concrete parking garage!

I got a Sunpass about 4 years ago. I go to WDW about 3 times a year, I love the convenience. I was hit with violations, and I knew I paid. I had a roll of quarters. I must have pulled out too fast. No way to prove it, it was just maddening because I went to so much trouble to bring the roll of quarters.

I just got the transponder with suction cups to use for our upcoming April trip. It took almost 2 weeks to arrive here in NH. I read about someone hanging ribbon to help remind them to remove it; I'm going to try that.

I have a window sticker transponder (not from FL but another state). I simply use tape to adhere it to the windshield and it works fine and I remove it when I turn in the car.

This. We also bought the small window sticker one. We just let it sit on the dashboard and it was fine. We didn't peel the sticker so that we could remove it. I'm sure if you just used scotch tape to tape it to the windshield, rather than peeling it, that would work fine too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter