sun block in beds?

Rafiki Rafiki Rafiki

<font color=peach>I took matters into my own hands
I'm not exactly sure what it's called--but it's that black stuff that you put down in the beds to keep the grass from growing.

Sarah and I are starting her first flower bed, and I've taken all the grass out of the area where I want the bed.

Only thing is, we're planting seeds. Do I put roundup on the area to kill any remaining grass and then wait to plant the seeds, or do I put the seeds in the ground and keep the black stuff off until they've sprouted, taking the chance that some of the grass could grow back?

Help me out here. I'm no gardening expert. I have two wisteria bushes and 5 daylillies in the area that I found on clearance last year. They're doing fine, and I don't want to kill them. But DH wants me to make the bed there because he doesn't want to weed-eat around them. It's too much trouble.

Thanks.

I know what you are talking about Raf. It's like black plastic sheets. I've had no experience with them but I would think you should lay that out first and then punch the holes where you want to seed. I would NOT use Roundup. When you punch the holes in to seed, I would try my best to make sure that area is free of any remaining grass.

That's my opinion but I am interested in hearing others, especially someone who has used this type of weed control. I am actually thinking about using this myself in my area behind the pool. Either that or that Lasagna thing with cardboard mentioned in an earlier thread. Good luck.

Just my humble opinion on this subject.
I find that landscape fabric *(that is what we call it)* is overrated and ends up being a royal PIA. If you must...I would definately not use the plastic fabric, as it doesn't *Breathe* and will cause drainage problems. Use the black woven fabric that allows for drainage and air to get through.
When I make a new bed, I usually put down a layer of newspaper, and cover that with the new soil. The newspaper will kill off the grass, and eventually decompose into the soil.

Just another idea for you.

I agree with the newpaper. It's cheap, does the job and is totally bio-degradable.

I haven't ever used newspaper before. Maybe I'll do that. I just have the landscape fabric left from my beds in the front.

I bought this planting mix at the nursery today that says to mix 1 pt. soil plus 2 parts mix; then plant seads and put root expander over it. I'm guessing I should remove as many of the remaning grass blades if I can...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter