Summer Solo Birthday Trip (accidentally SWGE opening week) 8/26/19-8/29/19

choirbird

Mouseketeer
Hello Disboards!

I'm extremely lucky and not only just posted a thread about my April trip (in 6 days!), but was able to book a trip for my 31st birthday (August 28). My Darling Boyfriend is along for spring break, but can't take as much time off as I can (nor is he quite as obsessed) so I'm going SOLO. The first weekend of my April trip will be solo as a sort of trial - if I completely hate it I suppose I can cancel...

I'll definitely be changing and updating my plans frequently, especially in response to next week's trip, but here are the rough details:
  • I'm 30, turning 31 on 8/28
  • This will be my 3rd trip to Disney, all within just over a year (first trip was 8/25-9/1, for 30th birthday, and was immediately hooked).
  • I'd never been to WDW as a child and have never been to a different Disney park (yet)
  • My flight arrives at 2:30 Monday 8/26 so I should have enough time for a short evening in the parks. I need to leave by 6 on Saturday 8/31 to make my departing flight.
I was psyched to book the Sun & Fun deal and be able to stay at a moderate resort for the first time, at CBR. I was a dummy and booked 1 fewer day than I actually need, so once I return and can view AP deals I will either call and see if I can add another day (currently it would double the price so NOPE) or possibly add just one day at POFQ as an excuse to see a different resort! Why not? (Aside from the hassle of moving stuff just for one day...)

My FP day is June 26, 2019 - just about a week after school ends. I'll make separate posts for FPs and ADRs, I think.

Who else will be "home" that week?

Last edited:
Dining & Park Plans!

I will definitely be tweaking these as I go along, but as it stands now:

Monday 8/26: dinner at Le Cellier
Tuesday 8/27: Breakfast at The Plaza (8:05)
Wednesday 8/28: dinner at Victoria & Albert's (7:15) - birthday
Thursday 8/29: dinner at Sebastian's Bistro (8:00)
Friday 8/30: Breakfast at CRT
Saturday 8/31: Nothing planned yet for departure day.

I haven't decided yet whether to go all in with Galaxy's Edge or to avoid it as much as possible. If I avoid it, I'll probably plan to do DHS Monday evening or Tuesday AM, since there isn't too much that I feel like I need to do there. Food and Wine starts on Thursday so I'll probably be in Epcot later in the week.

This will definitely require many edits as time goes on!

Hi there,

I will be "home" Aug 20 -27th. It's been over 3 years since my last visit and I am really excited to see all the new things. I am expecting some serious heat and just purchased a sun hat yesterday. I usually go in October and didn't really worry about the sun. This time will be a whole new experience. I hope you enjoy your solo try-out. I really like sharing Disney with my sister but when we can't go together, solo works for me.

Looking forward to your report.

Following along. My daughters, my Mom and I will be at POP 8/26-9/1. This week will be so fun with the atmosphere of Food and Wine opening and...oh yeah, Galaxy's Edge! haha
After your recent solo/couple trip, what new things are you most looking forward to doing?

Following along. My daughters, my Mom and I will be at POP 8/26-9/1. This week will be so fun with the atmosphere of Food and Wine opening and...oh yeah, Galaxy's Edge! haha
After your recent solo/couple trip, what new things are you most looking forward to doing?

Very exciting! I have to think about that...

I really enjoyed doing some relaxing things outside of the parks on my most recent trip - boat ride, mini golf, The Void, searching for Hidden Mickeys, etc. I did the Keys to the Kingdom tour and explored some of the other resorts. I also enjoyed taking in some of the theming that I didn't notice on my first trip.

I'm looking forward to trying entirely new restaurants (will definitely keep updating my list and changing it) and possibly do another tour.

Hello everyone!

It's been a few months, and I've updated my plans for my solo birthday trip. I enjoyed being solo for a couple days on my April trip but did get a little lonely, so I decided to break it up and only go for a few days at a time but seriously consider returning in November or later in the winter to enjoy the weather more.

I modified my plans - I'll still be staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort, arriving Monday 8/26 and now departing Thursday 8/29. My flight leaves pretty late at night so I still have the option of attempting SWGE opening day if I'm feeling fiesty, or going to F&W opening day if I'm feeling less fiesty.

I decided to do a couple special things for my birthday - and also to relieve the stress of FPs because it's a short trip.

Monday (Arrival Day): My flight leaves at 11:30 so I hope to leave my apartment no later than 9:00. I'll need to drop my dog off at day care around 8.
If all goes according to plan, my flight lands at about 2:15 so I should be able to get to my hotel by 4:00, drop off the bags, and spend the evening in Magic Kingdom, which is open until 10. I have FastPasses for Big Thunder (4:40), Pirates (5:55), and SDMT (7:20) because those are some of my favorite rides. BTMRR and SDMT are happening on Tuesday as well, but they're my favorites so I wanted to try and sneak them in. It'll be OK if I can't get to these but we'll see!

*dinner at MK TBA*
*early breakfast TBA*

Tuesday 8/27: I will be taking the Ultimate Day of Thrills VIP Tour! This tour includes Big Thunder, Splash, Space, SDMT, and Haunted Mansion at MK, Soarin' and lunch at Epcot, and SDD, TSM, RNRC, TOT and Star Tours at HS. I've never ridden RNRC or TOT and Space hurt my back last time, but I'm going to give myself the option of challenging myself or sitting them out if I get scared. I hope I meet some fun people on the tour, too, and maybe that will help me feel less lonely. I couldn't get a FP for SDD so this works out too. I'm very curious what the crowd levels will be two days before Star Wars!

*mystery QS lunch as part of the tour*

The trip meets at 8:30 at the Liberty Square ticket booth, so I'll be leaving the hotel by 7:00, maybe earlier. (If it's anything like my last trip, I was up at 5 just out of excitement!) It lasts 7 hours, so I will be finished at 3:30. We were told to wear sneakers (no sandals) and sunscreen! I did something crazy and booked FPs at Animal Kingdom, so I'll be doing 4 parks in one day :-O and will ride DINOSAUR (5:30), Safaris (6:40), and FOP (7:55). This was the ONLY time and day I could find a FOP FP, so I guess it worked out. Animal Kingdom is open until 9:30 that day.

I'd like to go to Nomad Lounge and ask for the recipe for my favorite drink, which is the Leaping Lizard. I feel silly but I don't know what the fruit is that they put on it!

*dinner at AK TBA*
* birthday breakfast TBA*

Wednesday 8/28: It's my birthday!

I have FPs at AK again, but they're mostly place holders (NRJ 9:15, Safaris 10:15, DINOSAUR 11:20). I might cancel them and just hang out after my super insane day. I won't be that disappointed if I don't get to ride NRJ on this trip.

I also might try to get a ride on the Skyliner since I believe this is the day it officially opens, and I'll be staying at Caribbean Beach!

*birthday lunch TBA*

I have another thing I've never done before - a reservation at Senses Spa at the Grand Floridian at 2:00. I'll be getting the Citrus Grove massage :D I think I'll need one after my 4 parks in one day challenge. They told me to bring a swimsuit for the whirlpool and steam room, so I plan to arrive before 1:30 so I can fill out paperwork and chill out. The appointment time is late enough that I can sneak in park time if I "need" it.

I have a couple of hours to relax, maybe listen to the Grand Floridian Orchestra (since I didn't get to do that on my last trip), and then at 5:30 I will check in at the Contemporary for my Highway in the Sky dinner tour. This is the tour where you eat and drink something at each resort around the monorail, and then watch Happily Ever After from the roof of the Contemporary! I love HEA and I'm happy to get to see it on my birthday. I hope I can meet people on this tour, too!

Thursday 8/29: This is the day when everything happens...AK has EMH at 7:00, so I theoretically *could* rope drop FOP at 7, then head to Epcot at 8 for that EMH, and then hang out for F&W. MK also opens at 7. I'm 80% sure that I'll just hang out at Epcot and try to get in all the Food & Wine goodness from 8-2ish, before leaving for my flight from the resort at 4:00.

There is always the remote possibility that I could be struck by a bolt of FOMO lightning and decide to try to get to Hollywood Studios at 4:30 in the morning to see Star Wars, who knows...

I'll get home after midnight, sleep for as long as I can, and pick up my doggie from daycare on Friday!

---

Reactions: DLo

Hello Disboards!

I'm extremely lucky and not only just posted a thread about my April trip (in 6 days!), but was able to book a trip for my 31st birthday (August 28). My Darling Boyfriend is along for spring break, but can't take as much time off as I can (nor is he quite as obsessed) so I'm going SOLO. The first weekend of my April trip will be solo as a sort of trial - if I completely hate it I suppose I can cancel...

I'll definitely be changing and updating my plans frequently, especially in response to next week's trip, but here are the rough details:
  • I'm 30, turning 31 on 8/28
  • This will be my 3rd trip to Disney, all within just over a year (first trip was 8/25-9/1, for 30th birthday, and was immediately hooked).
  • I'd never been to WDW as a child and have never been to a different Disney park (yet)
  • My flight arrives at 2:30 Monday 8/26 so I should have enough time for a short evening in the parks. I need to leave by 6 on Saturday 8/31 to make my departing flight.
I was psyched to book the Sun & Fun deal and be able to stay at a moderate resort for the first time, at CBR. I was a dummy and booked 1 fewer day than I actually need, so once I return and can view AP deals I will either call and see if I can add another day (currently it would double the price so NOPE) or possibly add just one day at POFQ as an excuse to see a different resort! Why not? (Aside from the hassle of moving stuff just for one day...)

My FP day is June 26, 2019 - just about a week after school ends. I'll make separate posts for FPs and ADRs, I think.

Who else will be "home" that week?
I'll be there for my solo trip that week too!
Your modified plans are still jammed back and sounds awesome. Every trip I tell myself I will do some new things and take it slow, but the rides keep calling me.

Last edited:
I'll be there for my solo trip that week too!
Your modified plans are still jammed back and sounds awesome. Every trip I tell myself I will do some new things and take it slow, but the rides keep calling me.

Awesome! What do you have planned? Are you going to brave SWGE?

I hear you on the rides, for sure, but I think I’ll be able to hit all my favorites at least once.

Awesome! What do you have planned? Are you going to brave SWGE?

I hear you on the rides, for sure, but I think I’ll be able to hit all my favorites at least once.

I plan on staying as far away from SWGE as possible.lol I'm excited F&W starts while I'm there though. I have some wine tasting and culinary demonstrations booked.

I never wrote an update! Let's see what I can remember (I'm reminiscing, missing WDW, hope to return this summer)

Monday: my flight landed just after 2:00, and by 3:11 I had dropped my bags at CBR and was in another Lyft to the Contemporary! I didn't check a bag, and ordered a Lyft pickup at the airport from the AirTrain. Next time, I'll specify door 32 because it's closer than 20, but I made it fine. I got to see Pop and AOA on the way to CBR. Old Port Royale is gorgeous but I didn't do more than use the restroom. I considered using the check-in line, but it was long, so I headed to MK!

I got to ride People Mover and Jungle Cruise (55 mins posted, actual wait time 45), BTMRR and was able to modify my Pirates FP for 5:20 and hop in at 5:16. Waited about 10 mins in the A/C. The sky looked scary so I headed into Mickey's Philharmagic and when I came out, it was POURING. I headed to Village Haus to escape the storm. I wandered up to the balcony - it was very crowded inside - to get a view of the downpour! I bought a poncho, which was surprisingly nice quality, and made my way out of the park. I decided to walk to the Contemporary rather than try to brave transportation (crowds were fleeing) and ended up at The Wave. I had the "Bacon and Eggs" which was delicious.

My room was nice, but for solo trips I don't see much point in staying anywhere except a Value. I'd like to try Pop - I've only stayed at ASM but it's completely fine for me and I'd rather spend my money on other things! The skyliner wasn't open yet, and I hoped it might be, but it was cool to see them testing it.

Tuesday: I woke up at 6:20, surprised it was still dark, got ready in 20 minutes, and made the short walk to Old Port Royale. My room was located close to a bridge so it was fairly easy. I had some avocado toast and OJ, and boarded the MK bus at 7:13, made a couple other stops and parked at MK at 7:37. I had a short wait before the park opened at 7:45. I grabbed some coffee and waited at the rope before the tour guides brought us back at 8:20. Once signing in, we had some time before the tour began at 9, so I bought a visor from the Emporium. It turned out to be a good combination with my poncho.

I got my birthday button and met a family at the rope (we were early, and taking nice pics in the park before open) who were only in WDW for one day! They were doing other Orlando things but splurged on this tour for their daughter - they didn't really like rides!!! I ended up riding with her for most things and telling them trivia and background stuff when they asked. I convinced them to go on SDMT, Star Tours, Haunted Mansion, and Soarin' but they refused to ride anything more "intense".

It was definitely fun for a solo trip to have CMs to talk with, and it was cool to see some of the Epcot backstage areas, like where they store festival booths, and some of the France construction. SDD was down briefly but they just switched up the order and I was happy to ride everything on the list - even TOT, which I didn't love, but I'm glad to have experienced, and RNRC, which I liked more than I expected and would do again.

Lunch was at Sunshine Seasons, which I'm glad to have experienced as well, but nothing outstanding. We could get pretty much whatever we wanted and it counted as part of the tour, which was cool. They had roped off a little dining area for us.

I took a Lyft to DAK and rode Everest twice!! (Single rider rocks) and had so much fun! I did Safaris and FOP (amazing!) and hit up Dinosaur before leaving the park. 15 unique rides - twice on Everest - not bad for one day!

Wednesday: I didn't take detailed notes on this day, and I admit I don't remember everything! I might have gone to Epcot? I can't remember what I ate for breakfast...BUT I did really enjoy the Senses Spa experience and Citrus Grove massage. Very high quality and relaxing, and a huge change from my fast-paced touring. The Highway in the Sky Tour was okay - I met a nice woman who was also on a solo trip. HEA was almost rained out and Tink didn't fly, but it was sorta cool to watch from far away. Up close is more my style.

Thursday: I avoided DHS and instead hit up DAK for super early hours and rode FOP three times in a row!! I think I did Everest again and NRJ, then went to MK and did most of the greats, finishing my day at Epcot for F&W. I ran into Josh and Taylor, two of my favorite Disney YouTubers, and got a quick picture with them!

Note to self: take notes next time :) anyway I can't wait to go back! I'm hoping to go this summer, although I'm also saving up to go to Tokyo in 2022 and working on buying a house in 2023, so I may need to hold off or keep things cheap this time :)

Reactions: DLo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter