Summer dining review with plenty of pics

Thanks for more reviews! Im still loving the gluten free info. On a side note- Mc'ds fries are cooked in gluten containing oil, some people never get sick from it at all, but I just thought I would throw it out there incase your niece's family was unaware. Not trying to step on anyone's toes!

Thanks for more reviews! Im still loving the gluten free info. On a side note- Mc'ds fries are cooked in gluten containing oil, some people never get sick from it at all, but I just thought I would throw it out there incase your niece's family was unaware. Not trying to step on anyone's toes!

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the McDonald's info? When my niece was diagnosed, the nutritionist at Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh told them that the McDonald's fries were one of the few treats that celiac kids could keep on their diet.

Also, I'm a high school teacher and several of my kids work there. I asked them if they had one dedicated fryer just for the french fries and they said yes. They knew exactly what I was talking about when I talked about gluten (for once!). I asked them if Mcnuggets or anything ever get into the french fry grease and they said no but they have to drain and clean the fryer immediately if it does. They also said that they will not get in trouble for accidentally contaminatingthe grease but will be fired if they do not report that they did it.

They did add that some smaller McDonalds like the ones inside Wal-Marts sometimes use the same fryer because of limited space. You just have to ask.

This is a serious issue though and I'd like to get the right answer.

My niece does get sick if she even gets any gluten but she was fine after eating the fries.

Let me know where you got your info so I can check it further.

Thanks

That's so funny, my DH and I order the exact same thing at Earl! (Although I get the beef and blue, and he gets the 1762)

I wish there was one near my house, I think I would eat there all of the time!

Awesome reviews too. I love the pictures, so thank you :)

I am just loving your report!! :woohoo: Can't wait for the rest! :cool1:

Here is a Fry link for you

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11326937/

and here is another http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/38082.php

I was able to do a search and find a ton of links, those are just the first two that popped up. Please dont take offense, Im certainly not telling you to override what the doctors told your niece, I was just bringing it up out of concern. She may not actually be getting sick from it, but it could be causing damage on the inside. I know that when McDonalds first announced it, people were FURIOUS. Its not the fries themselves, or the cross contamination issue, its the fact that the oil has flavoring in it that contains wheat. The McDonald's website does list that the fries contain wheat.

Nice reviews and pics!

I showed my son your pics from WCC and he said he wanted to try eating there. So, I called to see if I could change one of our reservations, but no luck. The only time they had open was 9:10 p.m. and by that time, we would be pretty much ready to go to bed. Waaaay too late for a dinner for us.:sad1:

I just love your reviews and pictures! Thanks for taking the time to write and post the photos.

Here is a Fry link for you

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11326937/

and here is another http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/38082.php

I was able to do a search and find a ton of links, those are just the first two that popped up. Please dont take offense, Im certainly not telling you to override what the doctors told your niece, I was just bringing it up out of concern. She may not actually be getting sick from it, but it could be causing damage on the inside. I know that when McDonalds first announced it, people were FURIOUS. Its not the fries themselves, or the cross contamination issue, its the fact that the oil has flavoring in it that contains wheat. The McDonald's website does list that the fries contain wheat.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely forward this to her parents.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely forward this to her parents.

I wasnt sure that the links would work, but Im glad they did. I hope I didnt come off as being Mrs. know it all, I was just concerned.

Your dining reviews are great! Great pics!!!

Day 7 ( Liberty Inn & Chef Mickey’s)

Lunch: Liberty Inn. For our last full day we all kind of split up. My wife, daughter and I went to the World Showcase so my daughter could complete her Kid Cot project and get the picture. My mom, dad and Niece went to Typhoon Lagoon and my brother went to Disney Quest.

After getting half way through we stopped at the Liberty Inn for lunch. In case you didn’t notice we are creatures of habit and like to eat at places we know and trust. We have eaten here every time and wanted to keep the streak in going.

We arrived at about 12:00 which was a little late considering our Chef Mickey’s ADR was for 5:10, but we were surprised to find the place relatively empty. I think this is one of the reasons we like it here… NOBODY seems to know it exists. We went right up to the cashier and ordered our meals.

I had the double bacon burger. Now, some folks might say “it was just a burger” but like I said at the beginning… that’s what I ordered and wanted! As usual, it was very good and the fixin’s bar made it even better.

100_1317.jpg

Keep in mind that the fixin’s here were not as good as Cosmic Ray’s but there were still onions, lettuce, pickles, tomato, etc. There was just no mushrooms, etc.

My wife went with her staple of chicken strips.
100_1314.jpg

There was BBQ sauce and honey mustard also. She liked them and our daughter even mooched some.

Our daughter shocked the house by asking for yes… PB&J. She did manage to eat most of it. Just a note that most places offer the crustable (sp?) brand PB&J. She liked it along with all her sides.
100_1315.jpg

I can’t stress how much we like this counter service stop. Other than a place called “Mr. Kamel’s” in the AK a few years back, this is one of the beat places to grab a quick meal. Mr. Kamels used to have awesome burgers. It is still there but didn’t have the burgers! As a bonus, a formation of soldiers in colonial garb came out and performed as we were eating. It just solidified our opinion of this place.

Dinner: Chef Mickey’s. OK, I know this place has received some less than flattering reviews but we booked it mostly because the kids could meet the big wigs. We had a 5:10 ADR and were seated fairly quickly as the place was empty as we arrived.

Here’s my plate
100_1388.jpg

Here’s my brother’s plate
100_1387.jpg

And my wife’s plate
100_1389.jpg

My daughter’s kid’s plate
100_1386.jpg

And my dessert
100_1402.jpg

And not to leave out my wife’s dessert
100_1403.jpg

Let me start by saying that we actually found the food here to be very good. They had a very plentiful salad bar, ravioli, prime rib, chicken, pasta, salmon, kielbasa and kraut (my favorite) just to name a few. There was a ton of food and all kinds of selections. We all agreed that this was a very good option. I have nothing bad to say about Disney’s end of things.

In fact we all noticed that the chef that talked to my mom and niece about her allergy was out wiping things off and keeping them clean. It was kind of inspirational to see someone take so much pride in his work. As cheesy as it sounds, I think I’m going to remember that chef when I go back to my high school teaching job this fall and try to take that kind of pride in my work. Most chefs would just let his underlings do the “dirty work” but he was out there first-hand and I think he should be recognized for that.

Now for the bad part. This place showed me a side of humanity that I really didn’t want to see in the arguably “happiest place on Earth.” Because we were one of the 1st groups there, people started rushing the buffet as they arrives as if this was the last food left on the planet! Kids went up with no adult supervision and the food was flying! C’mon people, if your son or daughter is incapable of taking a spoon of mashed potatoes and putting it on their plate without slopping it over all the other food items HELP THEM. GO BACK IN A MINUTE OR TWO TO GET YOUR FOOD! IT WILL STILL BE THERE. No wonder the poor chef had to come out and clean.

Even the adults got into the act. Some lady cut right in front of my wife with her father claiming he was “too old to wait in line.” He wasn’t too old to stand there for several minutes and scream at the poor guy carving the prime rib until he got a piece he wanted. The behavior by people here was just embarrassing and it made the food line even longer than it needed to be. Now I know what it feels like to be surrounded by great white sharks! Scratch that off the “to do list”… been there done that!

I think that getting a 6:00-6:30 reservation may work better because that initial rush would be over. It was just pure greed at the beginning.

Having said all this, we really did like the place. Maybe we just hit it on a good day food-wise, but the character interaction and everything on the Disney end of things was fantastic. We were not rushed at all, like all the other character meals. We all agreed that we would go here again; we would just tweak the time a little. The desserts are out of this world also just in case that’s your kind of thing!

Last meal and final thoughts still to come!

I wasnt sure that the links would work, but Im glad they did. I hope I didnt come off as being Mrs. know it all, I was just concerned.

Your dining reviews are great! Great pics!!!

You didn't. You live with the allergy so you would know much more than me. The longer I live, the more I realize that hospitals and doctors don't know everything. You really do have to check and learn on your own.

Saving my niece from health problems due to the fries made the time to do this worth the while.

Thanks

just wanted to tell you how much i enjoyed your reviews! you chose many of the same places we are thinking about for our trip in may, so im glad to see what you think of them!

You didn't. You live with the allergy so you would know much more than me. The longer I live, the more I realize that hospitals and doctors don't know everything. You really do have to check and learn on your own.

Saving my niece from health problems due to the fries made the time to do this worth the while.

Thanks

Just thought I would add that Wendy's does have gluten free menu if you have one by you. They are pretty educated in that kind of thing. The menu is on the website.

Best dining reviews I have read. Great job! Thanks so much!

Just wanted to let you know that I have been enjoying your reviews.:thumbsup2 We are eating at many of the same places in a few weeks and your pics are getting me all excited!:banana:

Were the raviolis at Chef Mickey's "Mickey" shaped? It sort of looks like they are, but I can't tell for sure. It would be cute if they were!

Yummy, Yummy, Yummy....can't wait to see more! I leave in 4 days and am eating at a few places that you chose, can't wait!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter