• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Summer Bay Review

rdevine10

All our dreams can come true, if we have the coura
We stayed in a 1 bedroom condo at Summer Bay the week of May 10, through skyauction.

Overall I was really happy with our stay there! We were in building 402, which was right near the kids pool, a short walk to the water park and the playground. The kids pool (zero entry with the umbrella shower was literally a step outside our ground floor unit). Pool wasnt super busy, but there were other people. It WAS heated, and quite warm (think bathwater warm!). Decent pool, my 2 girls loved it. Hot tub was REALLY REALLY hot! There was a lot of leaves and such floating in the pool, but to be fair, it was SUPER windy, and Im sure that was part of the problem.

We played mini golf a few times. Kids (at least 5 and under) are free. Make sure you specify say 2 adults and 2 kids (aged X and X), becuase the sales lady each time said 4 adults, that will be $20, even though the 5 year old was standing with 3 adults, once age corrected, she would adjust the price (and my 5 year does not look like an adult, btw!).

The waterpark was pretty cool. Its sun faded in colors comapred to the pictures, but, still enjoyable. My kids didnt really like it all that much. There were some older kids (boys) that were somewhat roughhousing on it, and acutally knocked my 5 year old over, at which point she told me she wanted to leave and go back to the other pool. (which could theoretically happen anywhere) It was open from 10 am to 5 pm daily, so if you were at the parks all day each day, it might be tough to make it there.

Our unit was nice, I was happy with it. We ended up with a corner unit that had a king bed (as opposed to queen, which it was supposed to have)! The bedroom had a nice sized TV, closet and acess to the bathroom. It also had a slider to our patio (with table & chairs).

The living room had a sleeper sofa (not sure of the size, we didnt use it)- (we brought a pack n play for the 2 year old a a toddler princess airbed for the 5 year old, which easily fit on the floor of the bedroom with the king bed). Tv in the living room was good. It had a DVD player as well. There was a cleaning supply closet too. Only complaint (and its small) was the coffee table had a lip on it, making it not comfortable to put your feet up on, according to DH!)

Dining area was decent. 1 bench seat and 2 chairs. Then the kitchen. Newer applinaces. Good stove, microhood, fridge and dishwasher. Enough plates, glasses, silverware for 4. And, starter package of soap, etc.

Bathroom was big. Tub/shower combo- tub did have jets in it, which we didnt use. Laundry access is in the bathroom closet. Stackable washer and dryer. Came with enough for 1 wash I think.

Location was a little more remote, but I wouldnt hestitate to stay here again. Id give this resort a solid 3 to 3 1/2 stars.

And, just as a quick note, I enoyed staying here MORE than I did the Animal Kingdom Lodge (where we spent the last 2 night of our vacation). As a mom, I really appreciated the space, kitchen & washer & dryer in room MORE! :)

If you have any questions, Id be happy to help. Also, Id post pictures, but I dont know what the dis guidlines are and if photobucket works here!

Sounds like you had a good time. What did the waterpark consist of? Slides, those things that dump water on you? How long did it take to get to Disney property? Please post the photos if you have a chance.

The waterpark area was a yellow tube slide that emptys into water thats about 1 to 1 1/2 feet in depth. Think playground slide style. There were lots of water splash features- falling water, buckets of water, splinker type things. I didnt get a picture of the whole park itself, and the few I did, I really dont want to post, as my kids are in them (I dont like to post pics of my kids on the internet).

But I got a few of our room, please ingore the mess, I meant to take them before we had "settled" in.

Here is the kitchen:

DSC04343.jpg

The view from the kitchen into the dining area and living room

DSC04344.jpg

The view from the living room into the dining area, with the kitchen behind it

DSC04345.jpg

The living room

DSC04346.jpg

The shower/tub combo

DSC04347.jpg

And the bathroom sink area (again, ingore the mess please, this was right before we were getting ready to check out!)

DSC04348.jpg

I have more pics of the pool, but nothing that isnt already on trip advisor, etc. (And they had my kids in it, so Id rather not post).

Also worth noting, they did not have a clothes line area in the tub/shower to hang wet bathings suits, which was a bummer, but, we got a littl creative and things were able to dry!

Hope these help someone else!

Also, it was about 4 miles to Sherbeth road area, where you are about 5 min from the Animal Kingdom. Maybe 20 min to Magic Kingdom- we didnt go to Disney when we stayed here- we went to SeaWorld (which was 20 min or so away). Traffic wasnt too bad on 192 around this resort, but gets a lot more congested closer to i4.

Restaurants closest were:

Houilans
McDonalds
Some random chinese foods and an Indian place

Publix was next door... you could walk, but it would be a hike in my opinion.

Also, we never used the lake area or main pool at the resort- since we liked the close kiddie pool.

Also, this is a gated resort- we saw lots of families and retired people. I wouldnt recommned it to singles.

I think thats all I can think of right now!

We stayed in a 1 bedroom condo at Summer Bay the week of May 10, through skyauction.

Overall I was really happy with our stay there! We were in building 402, which was right near the kids pool, a short walk to the water park and the playground. The kids pool (zero entry with the umbrella shower was literally a step outside our ground floor unit). Pool wasnt super busy, but there were other people. It WAS heated, and quite warm (think bathwater warm!). Decent pool, my 2 girls loved it. Hot tub was REALLY REALLY hot! There was a lot of leaves and such floating in the pool, but to be fair, it was SUPER windy, and Im sure that was part of the problem.

We played mini golf a few times. Kids (at least 5 and under) are free. Make sure you specify say 2 adults and 2 kids (aged X and X), becuase the sales lady each time said 4 adults, that will be $20, even though the 5 year old was standing with 3 adults, once age corrected, she would adjust the price (and my 5 year does not look like an adult, btw!).

The waterpark was pretty cool. Its sun faded in colors comapred to the pictures, but, still enjoyable. My kids didnt really like it all that much. There were some older kids (boys) that were somewhat roughhousing on it, and acutally knocked my 5 year old over, at which point she told me she wanted to leave and go back to the other pool. (which could theoretically happen anywhere) It was open from 10 am to 5 pm daily, so if you were at the parks all day each day, it might be tough to make it there.

Our unit was nice, I was happy with it. We ended up with a corner unit that had a king bed (as opposed to queen, which it was supposed to have)! The bedroom had a nice sized TV, closet and acess to the bathroom. It also had a slider to our patio (with table & chairs).

The living room had a sleeper sofa (not sure of the size, we didnt use it)- (we brought a pack n play for the 2 year old a a toddler princess airbed for the 5 year old, which easily fit on the floor of the bedroom with the king bed). Tv in the living room was good. It had a DVD player as well. There was a cleaning supply closet too. Only complaint (and its small) was the coffee table had a lip on it, making it not comfortable to put your feet up on, according to DH!)

Dining area was decent. 1 bench seat and 2 chairs. Then the kitchen. Newer applinaces. Good stove, microhood, fridge and dishwasher. Enough plates, glasses, silverware for 4. And, starter package of soap, etc.

Bathroom was big. Tub/shower combo- tub did have jets in it, which we didnt use. Laundry access is in the bathroom closet. Stackable washer and dryer. Came with enough for 1 wash I think.

Location was a little more remote, but I wouldnt hestitate to stay here again. Id give this resort a solid 3 to 3 1/2 stars.

And, just as a quick note, I enoyed staying here MORE than I did the Animal Kingdom Lodge (where we spent the last 2 night of our vacation). As a mom, I really appreciated the space, kitchen & washer & dryer in room MORE! :)

If you have any questions, Id be happy to help. Also, Id post pictures, but I dont know what the dis guidlines are and if photobucket works here!

I had heard it was owned by Westlake and wonder if they bug you like when you stay at Westlake Condos. How did you rent this. Could you do it without a timeshare tour?

Im not sure if they are owned by the same group. We rented it as an RCI overstock on Skyauction.com

Paid $198 total for 7 nights :thumbsup2

It did not require a tour for this booking. They did call the 1st night to ask if we wanted a free breakfast (and tour) and I firmly said no thank you. I was expecting them to call again, but they didnt the rest of the stay. Pleasantly suprised :)

I would not expcet them to be this cheap in the summer months though- early May was the last part of off season for them, the resort was not full.

HTH

We just back from a great stay at Summer Bay Resort. Our party of ten had a 2 bedroom condo and a three bedroom condo (actually a 1 and 2 bedroom lockout). The units were all clean and well furnished. I only had a couple minor issues with the resort, #1 the beds and pillows are not very comfortable. We ended up getting $5 pillows at Wal-Mart and then donated them to the resort. #2 the people singing Kareoke at the clubhouse pool were terrible, each time we tried to sit at that particular pool we got chased away by the people who sang worse than the worst contestant on American Idol. Fortunately the resort had many other pool options including a kids interactive water area, which was only open until 5pm. The overall facility is great and I will not hesitate to stay there again. You did have a 15 minute drive to get to the MK and 20+ minutes to get to DHS and Epcot, but the quality of the facility was worth the drive.
By the way, there is a Publix on property, and a super Wal-Mart about a mile away on RT27, plus plenty of dining options.

We are considering Summer Bay through our RCI exchange. I've read some pro's and con's. Did anyone use the shuttle busses to Disney? It was highlighted as a free feature in our RCI resort amenities. Was this true for you?? Thanks :thumbsup2

We stayed in a 2 bdrm almost 2 years ago. We LOVED it!!! It was clean, beautiful and just plain wonderful:goodvibes

We also got a call the first night asking us if we wanted to come to breakfast for the timeshare presentation, and we did and got free tix to Arabian Nights. It took us over 4 hours :eek:

The pool and kiddie water play area were great and we would love to stay there again. We got Silver Lake resort next month, hopefully it will be almost or as nice.

We did not use the shuttle service. The schedule was very limited and would not allow for you to come back in the afternoon for a break then head back again in the evening. We used the rental car, plus we bought the AAA diamond parking passes on e-bay. The passes helped at each parking lot except Hollywood Studios. That lot really seemed messed up. I guess ultimately we did park closer than we would have without the pass, but it sure didn't feel like it. I still have the two passes available, they are good for the rest of the calendar year. Let me know if you would like to buy one cheap.

I see on RCI redemption boards, Summer Bay and also Villas at Summer Bay. Can anyone tell me the difference? I also have read that the Inn at Summer Bay is better avoided. TIA Grammy

I am not sure what the difference is between the Villas and the Condos. The Villas are located on the toward the front of the resort and the Condos are just behind them.

Based on my research, the condos are newer and more roomy than the villas (2 bedroom). We stayed in a condo, but they were close to the villas, which honestly from the outside looked rather similar.

We did not use the shuttle service.... and if staying ofsite find it much more worthwhile to rent a car. HTH!

Just back from a week at Summer Bay. I traded a week with RCI. I had read some yucky reviews on other sites and what I learned is there is quite a difference from the older units and the newer ones. Upon making my reservation I asked for a "recently renovated" room, I figured it was my best shot of getting something nice. When I got there the guy checking me in looked at me like I had nine heads and then he called a manager...done. Our room was quite nice...clean, stocked and spacious. Building 404, room 306. However, there were some things that bugged me a bit. There was no place to hang wet towels and not nearly enough counter space in the bathroom. And what is with timeshare resorts and the empty salt and pepper shakers?!...fill them or get rid of them, nobody is buying salt and pepper to fill them...sorry, just a pet peeve of mine :goodvibes My DD loved the water playground, but it was only open till 6pm. Although there were people around, it never felt crowded. The drive to WDW was brutal!!! There was so much traffic back and forth, except when we left early to get to the parks for opening. It was a nice place to stay but next time I will find a place on the International Dr. side, the traffic is much better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter