Summer Bay resort recent stays?

Has anyone stayed here recently that can give their opinions on the place? I looked at reviews on Tripadvisor and saw some not very flattering pictures with cockroaches or some kinds of bugs on the floor or walls and frayed carpeting. Trying to do a early March trip (late planning I know) and not finding a whole lot for a decent price. Looked at VRBO which we used to book through all the time, but can't believe all the added fees!

Would love to hear opinions!!!!

Just booked for march 1-8. What building do I wish to have, which do I want to avoid?

I think we stayed in 403?? It was right across from the clubhouse. We loved it

I am booked in August......really need a renovated room with my son having asthma. Also the smoking is awful to hear, can't stand that smell.

We rolled the dice recently and enjoyed our stay. The resort is huge. The oldest buildings are in the 200 block. The 300 block are the houses. 400 units are newer high rises and 500 units are the newest.

We got a two bedroom in the 100 block. They are three story walk ups. The other person at the checkin counter was willing to pay an extra $400 to get upgraded from that area so I was worried.

The unit was in the second oldest area but was very clean and nicely appointed. There was no jacuzzi tub and no official balconies. People were smoking just outside their doors in the hall. Sound transfer from the unit above was awful when a young child ran around the unit for hours in the morning.

I couldn’t believe it when a tv show on sinkholes we were watching in our unit talked about the Summer Bay sinkhole and showed pictures of our building (107). Turns out the unit just across the pond from us was the one that fell into the sinkhole. I neglected to tell my hubby about the sinkhole (my bad), so he was a bit surprised. The water park was built on the land where the old building stood.

We loved the free mini golf course. It is a long drive to the parks but at a cheap price, I would stay again.

We rolled the dice recently and enjoyed our stay.
We loved the free mini golf course. It is a long drive to the parks but at a cheap price, I would stay again.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Summer Bay is a second home / annual tradition for us. We love the 200-series buildings by the clubhouse. They're the oldest, but they've all had their ~20 year renovations over the past couple years and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

I don't really notice the ~20 minute Disney, ~30 minute SeaWorld, ~40 minute Universal drives when we go to the parks. It does add up on the clock, but we're not rope-droppers so it's just part of the vacation for us. We'll stop and grab breakfast somewhere on 192 or do some shopping usually. Everyone's different so all power to people who love the "bubble" and want to maximize their park time, but to us part of the vacation is not being in a rush.

<$1,000 for a week for a 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom condo with a really good pool and good onsite amenities helps too. The pizza is good. Big Kahuna's has some good options if you feel like a resort day and don't feel like heading out on 192. Love the Starbucks they added too.

We are booked using skyauction for 7 nights. The price was right at $270 and no extra fees.. I am glad to see good reviews for this property. I was also expecting the worst. Can we request a building? I really do need a screen balcony for morning coffee and prepare mentally for an exhausting day at the parks.

We are booked using skyauction for 7 nights. The price was right at $270 and no extra fees.. I am glad to see good reviews for this property. I was also expecting the worst. Can we request a building? I really do need a screen balcony for morning coffee and prepare mentally for an exhausting day at the parks.

Check your sky auction confirmation - if it says Villas of Summer Bay it’s the older units. If it says Summer Bay Resort it’s the newer units. We stayed in the building across from the Big Kahuna Pool (building 400?) last year and it was great. Large kitchen with plenty of room to move about, spacious master bedroom and great balcony overlooking the pond.

Check your sky auction confirmation - if it says Villas of Summer Bay it’s the older units. If it says Summer Bay Resort it’s the newer units. We stayed in the building across from the Big Kahuna Pool (building 400?) last year and it was great. Large kitchen with plenty of room to move about, spacious master bedroom and great balcony overlooking the pond.

You were right, we are in the older units, it does say Villas of Summer Bay. I sure hope it is not really bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter