Suggestions for a mini video recorder?

JenSop

DIS Veteran
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I'm looking at getting a mini video recorder and was hoping to get some suggestions. I've been reading reviews on the internet, but would love some first hand experience stories for using them at Disney!

Thanks!

Not sure if you're in the market for a new photo camera, but I would certainly give some of the new point and shoots that do video a look. One of the reasons I never pulled the trigger on one of the Flips (now discontinued) and others was the lack of zoom.

When I started looking at a compact point and shoot for my wife, I wanted to at least consider one that would shoot video. I ended up getting her a Canon SX210IS, which shoots 730p HD video and has a long optical zoom. The combination works very well and she doesn't have to carry around 2 pieces of equipment. In my opinion her camera out performs most of the flash type video cameras and it works great as a point and shoot for still shots.

The only adjustment we've made to her regular picture/video practices is adding a large card to her collection, so she can have one card dedicated to pictures and another dedicated to video. Not something you would have to do, but makes sure we've got things covered.

Well, I have advice on what NOT to buy. Don't buy a Flip even if it's being liquidated. I won a Flip MINO HD camera from CNN last fall. I was so happy .... and then I used it. Bleh ... there's no way to control the light so when I tried to tape a stage presentation with modest lighting, the video was overexposed. There is a zoom on it but it is extremely limiting. And boy, was it awkward to edit the videos or what? Just simple editing became a chore ... and I used to put all kinds of stuff on YouTube and I know how to use something as simple was Windows Moviemaker to Adobe Premiere. This camera records in a format that Moviemaker won't open so even a simple cut job requires me to use Premiere!!

The only way to charge is it plug it into a computer ... or buy their adapter for $$. The only way to get stuff off of the computer is by plugging it into the computer... so if you don't bring your laptop with you on your trip, you better not take too many videos.

Bah, it was worth the money I paid for it so don't waste your money or your precious time with it.

LOL ... wow, you think I really hate it? :rotfl: I actually went out and bought a tiny point and shoot with HD video capability and I like it better than this flipping FLIP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter