Suggestion: What about cruise lines besides DCL and RCL?

disneysteve

DIS meet junkie
I realize this is a Disney site and Disney podcast so I certainly understand why they talk so much about DCL. And they talk about RCL because the team has taken multiple RCL cruises. But it would be nice to occasionally hear about other cruise options. There are many other companies out there. Surely between them and all of the Dreams agents, there are folks who have cruised with Carnival, Celebrity, Holland America, Norwegian, etc. Maybe this could be a topic for the Dreams podcast. Do a summary of what each offers and how they all differ from one another. The recent Dreams podcast talked about how to book a DCL cruise but it would be educational to go back a step and talk about how to decide which cruise to take in the first place since there are so many choices. Personally, we've cruised 4 times, 3 on Carnival (which we loved) and 1 on Norwegian (which we didn't love). I'm sure I'm not the only one listening/watching who would be interested in learning more about what's out there.

They did also cover the river cruise they did ... but I agree a more general overview of cruising would good too

Though, I know they prefer to cover things they know well, or at least I understand that to be the philosophy for Dreams that they only sell/book things they know well so not sure if that covers cruises beyond DCL and RCL

They did also cover the river cruise they did ... but I agree a more general overview of cruising would good too

Though, I know they prefer to cover things they know well, or at least I understand that to be the philosophy for Dreams that they only sell/book things they know well so not sure if that covers cruises beyond DCL and RCL
Yes, now that ABD has a Viking cruise, they've covered that.

I agree that Dreams focuses on things that they are familiar with. Their website mentions Norwegian and Celebrity so they definitely sell those.

Yes, now that ABD has a Viking cruise, they've covered that.
The Viking River Cruise that the podcast folks went on was not an ABD trip. ABD has contracted with a different river cruise company for their trips.

I agree about the other cruise lines. I think it was smart of Dreams to start selling RCCL as so many people are either simply priced-out of DCL or even those who aren't and can still afford DCL, just don't see the value in the prices they are now charging. I know the overall attitude toward Carnival on the DIS is overwhelmingly negative (we have never sailed with them yet - we've done 4 DCL & 3 RCCL), however we are really intrigued by the their new ship about to debut - the Vista.

I realize this is a Disney site and Disney podcast so I certainly understand why they talk so much about DCL. And they talk about RCL because the team has taken multiple RCL cruises. But it would be nice to occasionally hear about other cruise options. There are many other companies out there. Surely between them and all of the Dreams agents, there are folks who have cruised with Carnival, Celebrity, Holland America, Norwegian, etc. Maybe this could be a topic for the Dreams podcast. Do a summary of what each offers and how they all differ from one another. The recent Dreams podcast talked about how to book a DCL cruise but it would be educational to go back a step and talk about how to decide which cruise to take in the first place since there are so many choices. Personally, we've cruised 4 times, 3 on Carnival (which we loved) and 1 on Norwegian (which we didn't love). I'm sure I'm not the only one listening/watching who would be interested in learning more about what's out there.

This sounds like it would make a great submission for a DIS article.

You should book a cruise and come back and report on it.

Yes, this would be interesting to hear about. Or maybe why choose the cruise lines they handle over other ones. We've only cruised once - on Carnival - and we loved it, so now we are hooked.

This sounds like it would make a great submission for a DIS article.

You should book a cruise and come back and report on it.
I'd be happy to! I would report on my NCL cruise but it was a few years ago now so too out of date.

Our next cruise is Podcast Cruise 6.0 so that won't help. Maybe next year, though.

The cruise critic forum which you can put on your phone or iPad is a good resource for learning about cruise lines. In addition to Disney we have done Celebrity which we disliked, princess which was nice and silver sea and crystal which we love but for adults only.

we've cruised 4 times, 3 on Carnival (which we loved)

We've only cruised once - on Carnival - and we loved it

I know the overall attitude toward Carnival on the DIS is overwhelmingly negative
It's unfortunate that Carnival maintains a bad reputation. I know that many years ago they were a party ship but that really hasn't been true for 15+ years. We really enjoyed our vacations on Carnival and we are very much not the party crowd. And our daughter loved their kids club.

The cruise critic forum which you can put on your phone or iPad is a good resource for learning about cruise lines.
Absolutely! It is the best place IMO to learn about cruises. And there are many DISers who post over there, too. I just think it would be nice to hear the podcast teams' thoughts on other cruises they've taken (if any).

The cruise critic forum which you can put on your phone or iPad is a good resource for learning about cruise lines. In addition to Disney we have done Celebrity which we disliked, princess which was nice and silver sea and crystal which we love but for adults only.
Yes, I recommended the Cruise Critic site here not long ago, as one I have used, recommended many times, and find VERY useful.

Over the years, I've taken 42 cruises on many different lines. Some do not exist any more. Each cruise line has a different feel. Each ship within each line has a different feel as well. Going on a 3 night Bahamas cruise is very different from a 12 night Trans-Canal cruise. Also keep in mind that cruise lines policies change over time. When I started cruising, I remember more choices in the buffets. I also remember the grand midnight buffets, which no longer exist.

Each line has a special place in my heart. I spent my 40th birthday on Princess. I cruised on Holland America Line with my parents.

Whenever anyone asks me what the best cruise line is, I always answer that it depends on them. What they prefer might not be what I prefer.

In case you'd like to know, here is my cruise history so far:

Admiral Cruises: Emerald Seas - 07/83
Carnival: Fantasy - 04/90 // Ecstasy - 12/93 and 12/95 and 05/01
Celebrity: Millennium - 12/05
Costa: Costa Magica - 12/05
Cunard: Cunard QM2 - Transatlantic - 10/07
Disney: Disney Wonder - Bahamas - 08/06 & 11/08 & 12/10 // Disney Magic - 3 Day - Bahamas 09/99 & 10/00 & 11/14 // Disney Fantasy - 12/12 // Disney Dream 01/13
Dolphin Cruises: Dolphin IV - Bahamas - 08/93
Holland America Line: Statendam - Alaska - 05/95 // Ryndam - Panama Canal - 04/96 // Veendam - W. Caribbean 02/99 // Zuiderdam - 08/03 and 09/04
Majesty Cruise Line: Royal Majesty - Bahamas - 04/93 and 04/94
NCL: Seaward - 02/92 // Leeward - 01/97 and 07/97 and 07/99 // Norwegian Sun - W Caribbean 08/02 and 03/03 // Norwegian Sky - 12/08 and 02/09
Princess: Island Princess - Alaska - 05/07 // Dawn Princess - Mexican Riviera - 04/08 // Crown Princess - 11/09 // Emerald Princess - 8 night E Caribbean - 12/15 (#42)
Royal Caribbean: Sovereign OTS - Bahamas - 12/97 // Enchantment OTS - W Caribbean - 08/01 // Liberty OTS - 11/11
Oasis OTS - Eastern Caribbean - 08/13 and 12/14 // Allure OTS - 12/13

The podcast cruise on the Oasis will be my 43rd cruise.

My parents are avid cruisers. We surprised them with their first cruise about 13 years ago as a 30th anniversary gift and they've been cruising multiple times per year ever since. DCL and Carnival are really the only major ones they haven't done. They recently (like a few weeks ago) cruised on Princess...Panama Canal cruise. They enjoyed it, said it's some of the best cruise food they've ever had, but they are in their 60s and they felt on the younger side. I know RCL is their fave and they've cruised them in both the Caribbean and Europe. I recall them liking Holland America, thinking Costa was interesting- for lack of a better term, weren't overly into their experiences on Celebrity or Norwegian. I know they are cruising Alaska next month, but I think that may be another RCL. I realize it's not first hand experience, but I think it's funny how one little cruise turned them into a couple of cruise junkies.

Over the years, I've taken 42 cruises on many different lines.

The podcast cruise on the Oasis will be my 43rd cruise.
That's an impressive list, Mike. I'm jealous. 6.0 will be our 5th cruise so we have a lot of catching up to do.
I think it's funny how one little cruise turned them into a couple of cruise junkies.
That's not unusual. I find that people either really love cruising or really hate it. I don't often find someone who says, "Yeh, it was okay. We had fun but I wouldn't rush to do it again."

That's not unusual. I find that people either really love cruising or really hate it. I don't often find someone who says, "Yeh, it was okay. We had fun but I wouldn't rush to do it again."

They are trying to turn us as well. They live quite close the the Ft. Lauderdale port and we're about 40 min away from the Galveston port, but at this point, I think they're willing to go out of Port Canaveral if I wind up deciding a first cruise needs to be DCL or at least a land/sea trip involving the parks.

They are trying to turn us as well. They live quite close the the Ft. Lauderdale port and we're about 40 min away from the Galveston port, but at this point, I think they're willing to go out of Port Canaveral if I wind up deciding a first cruise needs to be DCL or at least a land/sea trip involving the parks.
If we were close to a port, we'd be cruising all the time. The last minute deals can often be almost cheaper than staying home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter