Sugar Free Desserts

ANNABETH

Mouseketeer
Can anyone tell me which restaurants offer sugar free desserts and ice cream. I'm looking to find both sit down and counter service restaurants. I'm also wanting to know if POR or POFQ has anything. We're on the dining plan for our upcoming trip and my DH recently found out he has diabetes and he is bummed!

Thanks for your help.

I know when we went, DS was able to get sugar free desserts. If you go to allears, there are menus of TS that list sugar free desserts. Sorry, I can't remember which CS had them!

Hi Annabeth
There is a really comprehensive list of what is available at all food courts, quick service outlets and table service restaurants on the free to use website AllEars

http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm

Most, if not all, dining locations of any kind have a sugar free dessert option. They are sometimes yummier than the ones with sugar :rotfl:

You definitely won't find it a problem, although there may only be one sugar free dessert option at each sit down meal. I remember parfaits, cheesecakes, sorbets and brownies that were sugar free options I have tried in the past at WDW.

Hope this helps!

Miranda

All of them.

I would suggest going to the disABILITIES Forum and look at Post #3 of the disABILITIES FAQs. There is a large section in that post dealing with special dietary needs, as well as many related links. You can get directly to the disABILITIES FAQs by following the link in my signature.

This is a very common topic of discussion in the disABILITIES Forum.

Also remember sugar free does not necessarily mean carbohydrate free.

Denise in MI

I have found that a lot of sugar free desserts have as many carbs and affect my blood sugar just as much as a regular dessert. Since I love dessert, my meal strategy when eating out is to keep the meal itself as low carb as possible (meat and veggies, for instance, are my go-to meal) and then have a small piece of dessert or share a regular dessert with someone else. I am much more satisfied this way, and I stay within the carb ranges where my blood glucose levels are good. I'm also walking enough at Disney to keep my levels lower than they normally would be at home, so that's an added bonus.

Good luck to your DH! It is hard learning to eat differently, but it gets easier.

I have found that a lot of sugar free desserts have as many carbs and affect my blood sugar just as much as a regular dessert. Since I love dessert, my meal strategy when eating out is to keep the meal itself as low carb as possible (meat and veggies, for instance, are my go-to meal) and then have a small piece of dessert or share a regular dessert with someone else. I am much more satisfied this way, and I stay within the carb ranges where my blood glucose levels are good. I'm also walking enough at Disney to keep my levels lower than they normally would be at home, so that's an added bonus.

Good luck to your DH! It is hard learning to eat differently, but it gets easier.

I agree. Sugarfree does not automatically mean good for diabetics. In fact, often quite the opposite is true. Often when there is less sugar there is more fat, or there are sugar alcohols which cause undesirable gastrointestinal effects which can adversely affect your plans. The sugarfree varieties also may not taste as good as another recipe.

Since my diagnosis, the only sugarfree products I use are diet soda, sugarfree gelatin, and sugar substitutes for baking and in a cup of tea.

Has your DH met with a certified diabetes educator and nutritionist yet? If not, if you're the cook (and even if you're not) it's great if you can attend with him. Then you both can learn about portions, carb counting, meal and snack planning. You both can also learn about testing blood glucose levels to see how various foods affect your DH.

On our last trip, DH and I were able to share meals, even though he is a big eater, and still had plenty to eat. Have a great trip!

This is exactly my strategy as well. It works well for me, and I get to try the more unique desserts offered at Disney rather than just another crappy sugar-free brownie. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter