Sugar free desserts onboard....

ohiominnie

<font color=teal>It's interesting when you google
I know they serve them, but what are they like??

I'm on a recon mission for my mom as she was just diagnosed with type II diabetes and is now on a strict ADA diet. I'm sure that on the cruise she'll be able to "cheat" just a bit, but not every night.

I know the full octane desserts are just simply delicious, but what is everyone's take on the sugar free ones??

Thanks in advance

Hi OhioMinnie,

I don't know for sure about your questions on the ship's sugar-free desserts, but just finished up with three months of dealing with gestational diabetes and had a crash course on a serious anti-diabetes diet. I was surprised in the beginning when I was going after sugar-free foods, thinking I was going the right thing, and the diabetic dietician informed me that it was carbs I needed to avoide like the plague. I was able to eat regular ice cream and things like that, albeit in much smaller proportions, as long as I monitored the carb content, not the sugar. I had to check blood sugar four times a day and face the wrath of some scary OBs if my sugars were high, so I only ate the desserts that didn't shoot me off the charts, believe me! That said, I had already discovered some tasty sugar-free things so I still eat them now even though I'm back to normal. My guess is that if they're served on the ship, they're probably all great! I'm planning on trying them, along with some of the veggie entres, in December. Sorry to digress from your question. Best of luck to your mom - I'm sure it's stressful now, but diabetes is so much easier to live with today than years ago and she'll do great! (Easy for me to say when mine was so short-lived, I know.)

Our family cruised last Nov. Originally we had late seating but b/c I too have type II diabetes I sent in a medical request for the early seating. Lucky for us we were granted the early seating and when our server introduced himself for our 1st dinner...he already knew I had the disease.

Even though I was quite impressed with Disney’s efficiency with informing their servers….I was worried I wouldn’t be able to “cheat” ;) . I am HAPPY to report…1. The sugar free deserts were WONDERFUL. I never felt deprived at all. Our server still let me cheat …but tell your mom., she won’t want to waste the cheat on the desserts..instead have a BBC ( it is a frozen drink that tastes like a banana milk shake). Have a wonderful time !

Thanks flexsmom and mags!
I'll have to ask my mom about the carb thing. I'm guessing hers is different as they have her eating basically the way the food pyramid is (including breads)

mags, glad to hear you're doing well with diabetes. We have early seating--didn't even realize we'd need that when we booked--glad we have it now. By the way...WELCOME to the DIS!

My wife took the sugar free strawberry shortcake one night. The head server happen to come over and he wasn't too impressed with her selection. He asked if it could be made better and my wife replied "a bit of whipped cream would have been nice". He takes the plate, and 5 minutes later comes back with the strawberry shortcake with whipped cream and two other desserts as well.

I had a few of the sugar free desserts as I do a low-carb diet. Some are not bad but nothing like the real thing...oh well...at least its something sweet. My fave dessert that's low-carb, low-sugar would be a bowl of fresh strawberries and whipped cream made with real cream and sweetnlow to sweeten it.

I too live with a diabetic (type 1). Watch the carbs (pasta, bread, potatoes, etc)!! Some sugar-free desserts have sugar alcohols which can also effect blood sugar and give you an upset tummy. I am sure she knows to eat small frequent amounts and go easy of the sweets, but I think she can cheat a little, especially is she ups her activity (which lowers blood sugars). Watch the drinks on the ship. There are very few diet soda choices. We always pack some powdered, no sugar beverages. Good Luck and have a wonderful time.

My BIL is a diabetic & he will be cruising with us in Nov. He said last summer they cruised Princess & all they had for sugar free was Mousse. Choc/strawberry/vanilla- Princess' idea of variety.

Can anyone recall the types of sugar free desserts they have had on DCL, so I can report back to him he won't get "moussed" to death!

Do they serve sugar free ice cream, or sugar free fruit tarts/pies?

Thanks!

I'm a type 2 diabetic diagnosed almost 2 years ago. I have to watch carbs which is sometimes hard. If I have pasta forget the garlic bread but you get used to it. I haven't cruised yet and am also interested in the sugar free desserts.

I've taken to having natural yoghurt with fruit added for dessert. We don't eat out a lot because a lot of restaurants serve a lot of carbs with a meal. I do plan on cheating a little on the cruise and that should be ok because I also plan to be doing exercise as well. We have early seating as well because I find that I can't go that length of time without eating (lunch to dinner) and although I know that I can snack in between that might mean that I will eat too much overall.

It's been somewhat of a lifestyle change but since it runs in my family (grandfather, aunt and brother all have it) it wasn't a total shock.

Good luck and have fun.

Barb~ LOL! He is a bit concerned about getting "moused" to death too! They have no kids, but trust our penchant for quality. As this will be #3 for us, they figure it's got to be good if we keep going back.

Maybe they'll have a sugar free Mickey Mouse Mousse! :earsboy:

Can anyone list the different varieties of sugar free desserts they offer?

Thanks!

:cool:

I checked www.castawayclub.com for a list of sugar-free desserts & found the following variety: seasonal fruit with sugar-free cookies, pound cake with vanilla sauce & whipped topping, assorted sugar-free ice cream, fresh berries in jello with vanilla sauce, chocolate mousse, cheesecake, chocolate cheesecake & cocoa brownies. Now, the original question posed by ohiominnie was: "what do they taste like?" - & this still doesn't answer the question. But I'll bet that they're as good as sugar-free desserts can get!

I am also one of those that must monitor carb intake for health reasons. And in the process have discovered that the carb counting approach is the most current approach - as part of a balanced diet - for diabetics of all types.

Ohiominnie, if the dietician is still using the old exchange diet they are behind the times! She may want to ask about carb counting. As flexsmom noted you have to be careful - it isn't total avoidance it just feels like it at times! And be very very careful of those foods labeled sugar and fat free - in my label reading I've discovered that many of them are actually HIGHER in carbs than the "fully leaded" version!

Deb

minniecarousel~

Thanks so much! I think he'll be very happy with the choices! I agree that they'll probably be as good as sugar free can get!

Maybe they have "sugarfree" pixie dust to sprinkle on them!

:cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter