Studio Handicap room

Jaylie

DIS Veteran
I have four studios booked for November for SILs and BILs. It would be helpful if three of these could be handicapped accessible because there would be a big problem having to step up and into the tub/shower for three of these guests. I know you can get HC access. in a 1-bed, but not sure about a studio. I haven't requested it yet. Oh yea, these studios are booked at BWV.

There are definitely HA studios available at the BWV. Call MS asap and make sure that the rooms you need are blocked for you.

HA is not a request - there is a special group (not MS) that will actually block or pre-assign the HA rooms for you. Call now and tell MS what you need. The CM will get you to the special group.

I called today and they said none were available. Do you know how many HC accessible studios they have at BWV. We are 8 people (4 couples) and I asked for three HC rooms. I wondered if the person I spoke to thought it didn't seem likely that we would really need three HC rooms. Do you think if these guests had doctor notes that it would make any difference? The issue is climbing into the shower/tub, so want a walk-in shower.

I called today and they said none were available. Do you know how many HC accessible studios they have at BWV. We are 8 people (4 couples) and I asked for three HC rooms. I wondered if the person I spoke to thought it didn't seem likely that we would really need three HC rooms. Do you think if these guests had doctor notes that it would make any difference? The issue is climbing into the shower/tub, so want a walk-in shower.
It is likely they are all booked. From what I have read, there are only 29 handicapped accessible villas between one, two bedroom and Grand villas at BWV.
That does mesh with the number required by the ADA for the size of the resort. The requirement would be most of those villas would be handicapped accessible with grab bars in the tub, not with roll in showers.

When someone calls to book one, it is blocked for their reservation. Most people who need an accessible room call and arrange it as soon as possible and many of those reservations would have been made at the 7 or 11 month point. Having a doctor's letter won't help if the rooms are all blocked.

There are some other things you can do that might be helpful, even with a tub. You can request a tub bench for each room. That would allow the person some other ways to transfer into the tub, including sitting on the bench with the legs out of the tub and then swinging the legs into the tub while sitting on the bench. If the person needs a handheld shower head because they need to sit while showering, Engineering can install one on request.

I don't know exactly how many there are, I'm sure someone will know, but I doubt it is a large number and it is completely possible that they have all been already requested and blocked off for other guests.

I definitely know there is one that overlooks the clown pool that has a roll in shower unit. We got that one the first visit we made as DVC owners and did not need a HC unit. I had requested near pool and that is what we got. It was terrrible in that that shower was slanted so the water ended up at the other end of the bathroom near the toilet if you weren't directly over the drain with the hand held shower. It also had the solid walled balcony which I could never understand - how was someone in a wheelchair supposed to see anything - I always wondered why they assign those units unless they are specifically requested unless it was the absolute only one left. Hopefully you will be able to work things out and the idea of the shower bench is an excellent one. Hope you all have a great trip.

OP, the category you have booked may make a difference also. I think that 2047 may be the only BW view HA studio.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter