stuck in the last corral!

Michael Jordan

Earning My Ears
Argh! I forgot to submit a proof of time and now am stuck in the last corral for the marathon on Sunday. A few questions to help me make the best of it:
1--what time can I realistically expect to start? May as well sleep a little later Sunday :(
2--how crowded can I expect it to be throughout? My best marathon is a 3:26, I usually run a 3:45. I don't mind dodging people, but hate the thought of having to walk because I'm completely without options.
3--will I be alone in my forgetfulness? Will there be other slackers like me?
4--is there ANYTHING at all I can do to get out of it? Christmas miracle?

Not posting this because I begrudge those who want to go slow--I'm just frustrated with myself!

I don't think it will be as bad as you are imagining. The first few miles will be pretty crowded, particularly the first bend on the exit ramp toward MK and MK itself; but it should thin out as you get further into the race. Hopefully you can avoid frustration and avoid adding too much extra distance while weaving through people. Just look at it as an opportunity to run a negative split.

My buddy did the wine and dine relay a couple years ago. He's a 7-8 minute mile runner. At that point all relay runners start in the last corral. During the 5 miles he ran he passed several thousand people. From talking with him you are going to want to line up in the front of the corral. this should give you a little bit of time to run before you catch the corral in front of you. Be prepared to stop and walk or slow down. You'll have some places that open up where you'll be able to run, but you'll also have a lot places that are tight where you'll likely get stuck.

I'm in same boat. I am going to visit runner relations - worse they can say is no. I did see someone at W&D with a sticker for a changed corral, so I think it does happen. Make no mistake Barca33, the crowding will be bad. First few miles, Main street, cone alley, AK will all suck. Adding extra distance weaving in and out is not something I am looking forward to.

Get to the corral as early as you can. That corral will probably start around 630, and it will fill up fast with the people who are terrified of the balloon ladies. Weaving is something you'll probably have to do a lot of, but you should be able to cut down on it by running on the edge of the road. During the first few miles, I find you can usually run right on the edge and make a few quick steps into the grass to pass people, and that's easier than weaving all over the road to try to get around people. Just be careful where you step so you don't turn an ankle. Once on World Drive, the road is wide enough that you should be able to run a decent line without having to zig and zig a great deal. Leaving MK, you will probably be back to running on the edges again, either the grass side or the cone side. Both make it easy to pass people quickly.

I'm in same boat. I am going to visit runner relations - worse they can say is no. I did see someone at W&D with a sticker for a changed corral, so I think it does happen. Make no mistake Barca33, the crowding will be bad. First few miles, Main street, cone alley, AK will all suck. Adding extra distance weaving in and out is not something I am looking forward to.

They will say no, unless you have proof that you submitted a PoT and the estimated finish you were given on that page doesn't match your assigned corral.

And trust me, I don't want to have to deal with you trying to blow past, knocking through us slower runners - adding to your distance weaving in and out because we aren't going the speed you wish we were so you can get to a clear space to run because you couldn't be bothered to submit a PoT in the, oh, three months or so you were allowed to.

Last edited:
Thanks for assuming I will knock through slower runners. It used to be you submit your time at registration, but I don't know what happened. Trackshack maintains all the results anyway. Rundisney changed the way they did corral assignment and wasn't very good about notifying runners about the new process. I never received email about the opening of time submission and did not receive any reminders in those three months you speak of. Thanks for reminding why I haven't posted on these boards in years.
If rundisney is so concerned about safety, then this is the exact reason they should still be allowing corral changes. There are some runners you describe that missed the deadline and will knock into slower runners in front of them. They should allow them to switch and be in a corral that suits their pace.

Last edited:

I'm sorry you forgot to submit a proof of time, but blaming runDisney for not being good about notifying people is way off base. There's huge section on the rD web site for WDW Marathon Weekend that says, in part:

runDisney proof of time guidelines:

If you believe you will finish the Half Marathon in less than 3:15 hours or the Marathon in less than 6:30 hours, proof of time is required for start corral placement. Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge and Dopey Challenge participants should adhere to Full Marathon proof of time requirements and submit a 10Miler distance or longer.
  • If proof of time is not provided by October 6, 2015, data provided is incomplete or cannot be verified, you will be placed in the last start corral.
  • No corral changes will be made after October 6, 2015.

They will say no, unless you have proof that you submitted a PoT and the estimated finish you were given on that page doesn't match your assigned corral.

And trust me, I don't want to have to deal with you trying to blow past, knocking through us slower runners - adding to your distance weaving in and out because we aren't going the speed you wish we were so you can get to a clear space to run because you couldn't be bothered to submit a PoT in the, oh, three months or so you were allowed to.
I give makelab credit for trying to deal with this situation in an honest way. A lot of people simply corral jump, and aren't ashamed to admit it. I saw a fair amount of that going on at last year's marathon. And it wasn't just fast runners trying to get to the appropriate corral. I was in the E corral, and quickly caught up to the D corral. Passing a lot of these people, there was no way in hell a lot of them could have run the 1:50 half that got me into E. They belonged back in J or beyond.

So, yes, I was irritated at these slower runners forcing me to weave in and out because they couldn't be bothered to run from their assigned corral.

Thanks for assuming I will knock through slower runners. It used to be you submit your time at registration, but I don't know what happened. Trackshack maintains all the results anyway. Rundisney changed the way they did corral assignment and wasn't very good about notifying runners about the new process. I never received email about the opening of time submission and did not receive any reminders in those three months you speak of. Thanks for reminding why I haven't posted on these boards in years.
If rundisney is so concerned about safety, then this is the exact reason they should still be allowing corral changes. There are some runners you describe that missed the deadline and will knock into slower runners in front of them. They should allow them to switch and be in a corral that suits their pace.

They won't let you change at the expo now because apparently one reason is when they used to allow changes people were faking times to show them to move into a faster corral. If you can show proof of submitting the time then they will change it, otherwise your chances are very slim. I've read on the facebook groups I'm in other people forgetting to submit and being in P as well and are embracing it because it is what it is, so you won't be alone. As said above running on the edge will be easier to get around people, that's what I noticed this year at least, just don't manhandle people in front of you to get around them (yes it happened to me this year as a lady moved me to get around).

I've read on the facebook groups I'm in other people forgetting to submit and being in P as well and are embracing it because it is what it is, so you won't be alone.

I know someone who started in the last corral a few years ago right with the balloon ladies and made it his goal to pass as many people as he could before the finish. I think he donated a set amount of money to charity for each person that he passed. Not saying that's what the OP and makelab should do, but it is one way of embracing and making the most of it.

I know it's less than ideal and am certainly not envious of your position, was just trying to turn lemons into lemonade. I haven't run from the last corral since my first rD race and I belonged in the last corral at the time. I had forgotten about the clamoring for the front of the corral from some of the people who are afraid of the balloon ladies, that will probably make the wait for ~6:30 seem even longer. Like others have said, running on the edges can often minimize weaving particularly at the beginning. Good luck with runner relations, I know some are painting a grim picture but like you say the worst they can say is no.

I'm sorry you forgot to submit a proof of time, but blaming runDisney for not being good about notifying people is way off base. There's huge section on the rD web site for WDW Marathon Weekend that says, in part:

runDisney proof of time guidelines:

If you believe you will finish the Half Marathon in less than 3:15 hours or the Marathon in less than 6:30 hours, proof of time is required for start corral placement. Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge and Dopey Challenge participants should adhere to Full Marathon proof of time requirements and submit a 10Miler distance or longer.
  • If proof of time is not provided by October 6, 2015, data provided is incomplete or cannot be verified, you will be placed in the last start corral.
  • No corral changes will be made after October 6, 2015.
This. Seriously, not to be a jerk, but it amazes me that people will pay so much to sign up for these events, for the travel, etc. and won't read the website. :confused3 I feel the same way about people that complain that they don't do proxy bib pick-ups anymore (or whatever it used to be called), those who complain that there's no morning bib pick-up, the ones that say "I have to get up HOW EARLY?!" It's all right there on the website.

I started in Coral N in 2014. I know its not the last coral and I know more runners are put in the later Corals so its not total apples to apples, but I managed to hit my goal of coming in around my goal time (3:34). @FFigawi nailed it when he said you'll need to do a lot of weaving and you might have to drop to the side of the road early on to pass.

The main congestion spots I recall were making the turn from Epcot Center Drive to World Drive (around Mile 1.75), the portion of the course between TTC and the end of the Main Street (4-5.5) and then the portion of the course on Floridian Way after you exit MK near Splash Mountain (6-7). After that the only congested spot was entering the Speedway which is not going to be an issue this year.

I never had to walk and the interesting thing was because I was forced to run at slower paces during that first 8 or 9 miles I actually had a lot left over late in the race. It's like it forced me to run a smarter race.

Argh! I forgot to submit a proof of time and now am stuck in the last corral for the marathon on Sunday. A few questions to help me make the best of it:
1--what time can I realistically expect to start? May as well sleep a little later Sunday :(
2--how crowded can I expect it to be throughout? My best marathon is a 3:26, I usually run a 3:45. I don't mind dodging people, but hate the thought of having to walk because I'm completely without options.

Not posting this because I begrudge those who want to go slow--I'm just frustrated with myself!
I too will be in the last corral. Was planning to run under 4:00. Maybe will see you at the front of the corral? My son ran from the last corral 2 years ago and was still able to run under a 4:00 time. Basically he was doing a lot of ditch diving especially early on in the race. He started 1:05 after the start of the race.

Hello -- I also seem to have missed submitting PoT and am in Corral P. I will try to get there early and be near the front of the corral, but aside from that, I just plan to have the most fun with it that I can. I always hear the back of the pack runners are the most fun. And there are things this marathon offers that no other does and I will take advantage of that, which I wouldn't be doing if I were running for time. I will stop for photos or ride a roller coaster if I am so inclined. Wouldn't say no to a beer hand up in Epcot. :rotfl2:

Best of luck, I hope it turns out well for you.

Liz

There are some runners you describe that missed the deadline and will knock into slower runners in front of them.

Those people shouldn't be doing races with other people, IMO.

(same with people who dance wildly with arms flailing at their shoulder level (other peoples' face level) while going around a 180 degree curve, grr)

the ones that say "I have to get up HOW EARLY?!" It's all right there on the website.

FWIW the time of the races isn't on the registration form that I've noticed.

Definitely do not sleep in! This would totally add to the frustration of the morning, especially if you want to get to the front of your corral. It will be crowded, but there should be a few spots where you can try to make up some time. I would go into the race trying to do the best that you can, knowing that the results may not be as fast as you are used to. You may just have to chalk this one up to a learning experience, but I think it can still be an enjoyable one. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter