Struggling to get airline tickets

rabyoga

DIS Veteran
I'll try to keep this short: I'm trying to plan a fun family trip for my daughter's 21st birthday to Disney World. Here's the catch- my hubby and I live in New Mexico and my daughter's in Washington state. We want to use our credit card points to buy airline tickets. We (hubby and I) looked a few days ago and the points were fine. Now, the flights are twice as many points. We're thoroughly confused and frustrated! Any advice would be appreciated.

Just curious, when are you planning on traveling? If you're still about 3-4 months out, fares shouldn't jump like that, but they still can. Generally speaking, about 2 months out, fares spike, and they keep rising until the day of the trip, where either they'll be sold out, be sold at a very high refundable fare, or totally crash because the plane is still half empty.

Maybe you caught a fare sale when you first looked, and that sale had expired the second time. If there's still time to check, try a day or two later, or maybe a week.

The short of it is: airline fares bounce all the time. They want to get a person in every seat, but they want to charge the most that they can for it. If they charge $200 a seat, and the plane fills too fast, that's money lost, as they probably could've charged $300 a seat, and still filled it. But if they set the fare at $300 a seat, and the plane is only 60% full, that 40% empty cabin is lost money. So if a plane is selling seats too quickly, the prices will go up, with the airline thinking they'll make more. If a plane's seats are selling too slow, the prices will drop.

Other suggestions is to try to clear your compuer's cookies and cache, try a different device (a different laptop, maybe your phone on your cell network), or try going to the library. Anything to confuse the airline, and it *MIGHT* result in a lower fare. It might not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter