• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stroller thoughts for big kid

Cameo

DIS Veteran
We will have 6-y-o (58 lbs) and 3-y-o (38 lbs). I'm thinking that a double stroller will not be big enough for both. I may bring a stroller from home for the 3-y-o, but am wondering if renting a single for 6-y-o will even be big enough. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Saw pictures on wdwig and they didn't show a double stroller at Animal Kingdom. Do they have one?

Also, we will probably do minimal things at MGM. Is is worth it to rent a stroller for the 6-y-o there? (Of course, we'll have to see how she is holding up at the time.)

Any thoughts or past experiences with strollers and big kids is helpful.

Thanks!

For "big kids" I think a stroller is only called for at Epcot. At all of the other parks, the attractions are much closer together and it just seems annoying to keep parking the stroller. A 58 pound 6yo would have no real trouble sitting in half of the double stroller at Epcot. I wouldn't even want one for a 3 year old at the Magic Kingdom.

all the parks offer double strollers. There are just less of them available than the singles. My ds was 6 on our last trip in October, and surprised us by not wanting to sit in the stroller. We have a double one for the then 4 yo and 2.5 yo, and sometimes the 4 yo would want to walk, so I would offer the seat to the 6 yo and he would just say "no thanks" This was the same kid from a year before who couldn't walk 3 steps without complaining about being tired.

This year, we will be going in November, the kids will be 7, 5 and almost 4. We are planning on renting them this time, on an "as needed" basis. Getting on and off the busses was a pain with the double stroller. I think the kids will do fine. We just plan on slowing the pace down, and sitting often.

Oh, and you know what might help? Get you 6 yo in shape. I do not allow the older two to ride in a cart at the supermarket or department store. I tell them they need to "practice" walking, because they will be doing alot of it at Disney.

Your 6-year-old may surprise you by how far/long he can walk. We were at Dollywood (TN) yesterday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm and it was hot and humid. DD6 not only walked the whole day, she never complained!

Peggy

I would take a single for the 3 year old, but just wait and see for the 6 year old - when my dd was 3 she used the stroller a lot, but on our next trip I am not planning on taking one for her (she will be 6), if we need one on a very long day then we will rent one, or she will have a short ride in the baby's stroller, but she can walk quite a lot now, and I don't think she needs one available all the time.

Bev

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter