• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stroller rain cover?

HGD24

DIS Veteran
How important is a rain cover made specifically for your stroller? Are there other options that can be used ie: ponchos? We have a Peg Pliko P3 and I'm wondering if we should get the cover that is made for it or if we can use a generic cover or a poncho.

Last year we used a poncho that we bought from MK. It worked great for our Graco. This year I went ahead and bought an actual rain cover for the stroller and we'll see how it works out. I am still bringing along the poncho from last year, just in case ;)

Official rain covers are bulky when not in use.

For Tropical Storm Fay we used a poncho and a bungee cord to keep it in place, and it worked great!

My little input here...is your little one going to be in the stroller while it is raining? I would invest in the cover then. We got ours for $10 a Sears and it worked great, and Faith could ride inside and see out. If we had used a poncho, she would have been boxed in and unable to see out. She loved her little "house" away from the rain, and was happy to stay in there. She was MUCH drier than we were!!

I second what mom2faith said.

We have a Graco Duo Quatro that we take. I was really glad last year when I ran around to find the raincover specifically for Graco doubles.

The big thing is that the rain covers are designed to protect the entire stroller area and have holes for the handles to come out. they also have ventilation cut-outs. Most of them also come in their own little carry-bags, so that they roll up fairly small. Our double rain cover is about 8 inches by 4inches diameter in the bag - and the drawstring bag ties underneath the stroller, so we don't lose it.

The only problem we had was keeping our oldest inside the cover (2 at the time) - we hardly ever get rain where we live, so it was such a novelty to be in it!:banana:

Note: The Mickey ponchos have been clear since 9/11, so vision for the kids while covering with a poncho isn't an issue. If that works for you, then go for it! If it's summer when you are going, then the showers are so short, a poncho would work while you are in attractions. We were there in October, when it is a bit chillier with the rain.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! The Pliko rain cover zippers to the front edge of the canopy so it will only cover the part of the stroller where the baby sits.

51VntmUO1xL_SL500_AA280_1.jpg

We purchased the Protect A Bub raincovers. It has elastic for the bottom so it keeps little feet in, covers the whole stroller including the back where the cupholders and bag are and has a clear window. Last year we used Poncho's, but only when we'd park it somewhere to go in to eat/shop....if it was raining while we were out in the park we'd find a dry place to sit it out.

I plan on finding a stroller fan before our trip too, so they can have some air blowing on them while under the covers. Although, the Protect a Bub ones are fabric type....the only real 'plastic' component is the window....so I think it's going to be a LOT cooler than a plastic cover. I plan on taking some clips to secure it too, as it has ties and velcro (and then the elastic at the bottom). We'll see how it works :)

Oh and this cover folds up so tiny and comes in it's own drawstring bag with ventilation holes....so it can dry out. So it doesn't take up a lot of room at all, and I just toss it in the baskets underneath and the stroller still folds perfectly with it left in there.

We bought a generic rain cover last year, since we lost the one our Maclaren came with. It was a great $10 investment,as it rained 2 or 3 times during our 5 day stint. It was great for our DD as she could sit in and see out and not get wet. Many people were asking us where we got it. Ponchos are great for moms, dads and walking kids, but I think a rain stroller cover is the way to go for little ones who are riding.

We bought a generic rain cover last year, since we lost the one our Maclaren came with. It was a great $10 investment,as it rained 2 or 3 times during our 5 day stint. It was great for our DD as she could sit in and see out and not get wet. Many people were asking us where we got it. Ponchos are great for moms, dads and walking kids, but I think a rain stroller cover is the way to go for little ones who are riding.

NY Mom - where did you buy your generic rain cover?

I bought a $10 rain cover just last night at Babies R Us. Our stroller is on display and they let me 'try it on' before I bought it to make sure it would fit.

HTH

I bought a $10 rain cover just last night at Babies R Us. Our stroller is on display and they let me 'try it on' before I bought it to make sure it would fit.

HTH

Looks like we'll be off to BRU soon to try it out! Thanks!

HTH

We were able to do this at Sears for our $10 one too.

Also, Walmart has a generic one for $9, but it was always sold out when I was there. You may find it at your Walmart.

Good Luck!!

BTW - that cover made for your stroller is the silliest rain cover ever!! Of course you are going to want to cover more than just the baby!! Crazy designers were not parents in the rain ;)

BTW - that cover made for your stroller is the silliest rain cover ever!! Of course you are going to want to cover more than just the baby!! Crazy designers were not parents in the rain ;)

I agree - especially since it costs $35! I can't believe they charge that much for that little piece of plastic just because it zippers to the canopy!

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! The Pliko rain cover zippers to the front edge of the canopy so it will only cover the part of the stroller where the baby sits.

51VntmUO1xL_SL500_AA280_1.jpg

We have the Peg Perego A3 which uses the same cover as your Pliko. We bought the rain cover for it on ebay for $20. It worked great. One word of advice is to zip it on very slow and leave it on for the entire vacation. It bunches up really good so even when the stroller is folded up it doesn't get in the way. Not only was it nice to have it when our son was in the stroller, but it was also nice to use when we went on rides in case it started to rain when the stroller was parked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter