stroller or no?

we are taking our 4yo to disney in sept, would you have stroller for them or no?
Absolutely. We take our regular full size stroller for our kids through age 5...at 6 we sometimes rent one from Disney on certain days. There's no way I'd go to Disney with a 4 year old without a stroller at any time of year, but even more so in the summer and Sept. is still really hot at Disney. They're going to use it...take it.

Yes, definitely. We are going next week with our 4 year old and are bringing his regular stroller. The parks are huge and his little legs cant keep up with mom, Dad and his brothers. As others have pointed out, it's also nice to have someplace to put your stuff so you aren't always carrying it.

Personally yes; and my daughter will walk a full day at kings dominion in VA without a problem. I've found the difference is a full day at KD is like noon to 9, at WDW we go from as early as we can get ourselves up to when they kick us out. This is a much longer day and by the end of it I'd be carrying her and since DH does not like WDW and I end up going with my sister carrying around a 40+ lb child just isn't my idea of a good time or easy. Everyone's travel style is different though; so you may find you don't need one if you don't plan to go for a long day or will take afternoon breaks and leave early. I also like to bring my Bob stroller (if we fly I check it if we drive it is the most important piece of luggage that must fit). Since I own one I don't want to pay to rent; again personal preference.

A Stroller is a mobile HQ or Basecamp! Its a definite yes.... even if you don't have kids! haha ;o)

LOL! I agree! At 4 my DGD was a little peanut, and we had a stroller. She seldom used it on that trip...she spent the entire time perched on my DH arm like a little bird, he was positive someone would steal her! LOL!

I vote a solid (and unpopular) no. I have been at the park with two kids (from ages 1 - 26). We brought a stroller on one day and one day only (the year we had a 1 year old and a 6 year old). I almost ditched it in the park. It made everything so much more difficult. Maneuvering, parking, people wanting in, people wanting out - misery.

Before we had the younger one, we had been three times with my older daughter (she was 2, 3 and 4). She walked most of every day. We gave her a bag of skittles - as long as she was walking, she could be eating. We carried her every now and then - mostly after parades and fireworks. The younger one had more energy than all of us - she never complained about the walking.

We also do not bring a lot of stuff into the parks. Back then - a small backpack with a change of clothes for the kids and a diaper or two. That's it. I never feel that we are going off into an abyss - so I can buy something if I need it. Which - thinking back - I never needed to do except for food. I am not lugging lunch into the park. That is not my definition of a vacation.

Also - I think you experience the parks more with your kids if you are walking along, holding their hand and talking to them. Pushing them along in a stroller while they suck on a sippy cup in a crowd of people - I don't get.

What is all the stuff people are talking about taking to the parks? Why would you bring so much stuff you needed to put it in a stroller? It's not hiking or camping - it's a theme park. If armageddon happens while you are at the parks, they have gift shops to raid.

What is all the stuff people are talking about taking to the parks? Why would you bring so much stuff you needed to put it in a stroller? It's not hiking or camping - it's a theme park. If armageddon happens while you are at the parks, they have gift shops to raid.

If you have a stroller, why wouldn't you use it to help carry your stuff, no matter how much or how little stuff you have. If you're doing a full day in the parks, you may bring sunscreen, ponchos, snacks, autograph books for the kids, if they're very young you may have diapers/wipes. Why would you want to sling that stuff over your shoulder or on your back if you can have the stroller hold the weight of it for you? Our kids don't use strollers anymore, they're now 13, 9, 9 but we used strollers for them until not all that long ago. We're a bit different in that we don't eat in WDW restaurants, so we bring all of our food. The strollers were perfect for transporting all that stuff. Even today, we have a small umbrella stroller that's our "gear" stroller. We put our cooler in the seat that has all of our food and we hang our carry bag that has our ponchos, sunscreen, etc...over the back. We have to carry nothing on our shoulders or back. Often we'll leave it in stroller parking and come back to it when we need it, or if we do bring it with us, the kids love taking turns pushing it. Super easy.

I bring some healthy snacks, drinks for my child (I prefer her to have capri sun water which is a mix of juice and water), a couple of sodas, water bottle, princess dress, bathing suite for the splash area, night clothes because I changed her at the park, etc,). I admire people who take the ultralight approach to Disney but I fall into the "heavy camping category" but that is just how I like to do it. Mostly because getting to my car seems to be next to impossible so I don't want to be in a situation where I end up spending money I didn't plan on spending for something I could have brought (extra clothes for the once a quarter accident that may occur that day...)

I also like having a place for my child to nap and then sleep at the end of the night. Again everyone had their own styles some like a previous poster said they don't like a stroller and honestly unless my child is napping or sleeping she normally won't ride in it, but it's there for that and the backpack I don't carry when she is walking...

I'm another vote for team YES. You never know how handy it can be. If your child decides to walk most of the time, no harm done, just park it in stroller parking and know you have a "safety net" if you need it. You can always leave it in the room on the next park day if you feel you didn't get use out of it the first day out.

I did not take one when we went with 5 and 4 year olds, but I could just as easily see taking one. We weren't a stay-til-closing family anyway. Kids did fine, but were ready to leave about 5pm, which worked for us.

I'm going to say no as well. There are enough rest areas to chill with a snack if little legs are tired. We have gone only once with a stroller, and never again. From now on I rather baby wear for babies and tots 2 and under or take a mid day break with tots 3 and up. The stroller parking situation is not worth making my stroller a dumping ground. You can pick-up purchases at the front or have them sent to your room on property so I won't lug mine around. Add in the time locking your back wheels so your stroller doesn't get stolen,...yeah, no. My 3 year old always walks and we make a mid day break part of our park plan so he can rest.

Our kids didn't use them at age four but it depends on the child. My husband hated maneuvering strollers around crowds and refused to bring them. They were troopers and never whined or fussed but did fall asleep when we would see some of the shows
It's nice to have one stroller for many reasons (child can rest, place to leave cups, snacks, etc), but there are drawbacks too (finding a place to park, retrieving the stroller, slower going from point A to B, etc). If your child is good with walking a lot and you or your husband doesn't mind carrying your 4yr old then you can definitely make it through the park much quicker and easier without a stroller.

Also if you are not at the park all-day, then you may do the morning w/o a stroller and bring it for the afternoon/evening.

thank you everyone i am going to get a stroller and if he actually wants it, its there and if he doesn't at least he has the chance right?

i am going to get a stroller and if he actually wants it, its there and if he doesn't at least he has the chance right?

Yes! I think I have read every stroller thread and there are always pros and cons and people who feel strongly both ways. We will have 4 preschool grandkids with us next May (and their parents)...ages 13 months to 5 1/2. We definitely won't do an umbrella stroller. The cheap ones are hard to maneuver and the handles too low for my tall son and SIL. Plus the sun shade is not adequate on many umbrella strollers and that's one of the main reason the parents want a stroller....protection from the sun. The baby will be too big to wear for any length of time in the May heat and humidity. So our plan for now is to rent a double City Mini delivered to the resort for our whole trip. The baby will need it every day and one of the other kids can use the other side. Then if it's a particularly long or hot day...or a bigger park like Epcot, we'll rent a double stroller in the park day by day as needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter