Stroller for older kids

It isn't that hard. One trip, after she kept falling waaay behind, I got a stroller for my then 6 year old niece. It was either a stroller for her, or resigning the other 5 people to walking at a snail's pace. She wanted to walk slow and look at everything, not pay attention to where she was walking or anything else. Having her in a stroller made the trip enjoyable for everyone. And the Disney strollers are very easy to push.

But that's just one 6 year old. Add an 8 year old, doubling the weight, and see how much harder it is.

But that's just one 6 year old. Add an 8 year old, doubling the weight, and see how much harder it is.

Her 10 yr old sister, who was the same size, hopped in with her on occasion. She had some health issues at the time, hence her tiny size. Still not that hard to push them around.

On our last trip, my kids were 4 and 7. I rented a double stroller, which they shared with their cousin, who was 3. When cousin wasn't with us, my 7 year old was very happy to use the stroller. On this trip, my kids will be 7 and 10. I will be getting a stroller for my 7 year old, who has some special needs, but the question is whether I should get a double so that my oldest could also ride. Lucky for me, my oldest is very small for her age, so she can probably still fit. I asked her if she thought she would use it and she said she probably would sometimes if she had the option. The cost of the double vs the single is not that much more to rent from Kingdom, so I am leaning towards just getting the double. We stay offsite and drive, so folding it for the bus is not an issue.

The bigger question for us will be whether we ask for the "stroller as a wheelchair" sticker again for my youngest. It was super helpful last time, but I'm not sure if she will actually need it this time. We will probably try without and see how it goes first.

We are going on our first trip in June and have rented a double stroller from Kingdom strollers. Our kids will be 5 and 8 and are within the height/weight limits. I don't anticipate taking the stroller everywhere or my kids riding in it constantly. I know my kids and I think it will be a good idea to have it. Going to Disney is a really big deal for us and anything I can do to cut down on the misery of my children will make the trip more enjoyable for all of us! It may turn out that we don't need it as much as we think, but I won't regret getting it.

We are going in May and I will have a stroller for my 5 year old and 8 year old. I would rather have it and not need it versus not having one and being forced to carry/drag a tired little monster through the park at closing. We generally only do the parks at night and stay until they crash from the overload on mickey bars and pixie dust. Also, having the stroller is a life saver while waiting for the buses at the end of the night.

The sheer amount of things you carry when you have young kids (snacks, drinks, jackets, sucnscreen, etc.) make a stroller so nice to have on a day trip. Not to mention the actual child. My kids are petite, but they get heavy fast!

That a mid-day break and go back to your resort for a swim or a nap. Then head back out later in the afternoon or early evening. That way the kids won't get too tired out and will get to go to the pool which was always the draw for my son when he was younger.

The sheer amount of things you carry when you have young kids (snacks, drinks, jackets, sucnscreen, etc.) make a stroller so nice to have on a day trip. Not to mention the actual child. My kids are petite, but they get heavy fast!

LOL THIS^^ I already know I'll be carrying everything for my 5 y/o. She has yet to grasp the concept of - "you brought it, you carry it." Mom's the pack-mule. The stroller, even if just an umbrella one, will help to carry the sweater or the small bag of snacks and such.

Personally I loved having my son in the stroller. He would have still been in it at 9 if I didn't have heart surgery right before we left. I found wearing a backpack a little inconvenient getting on and off rides and sweaty when hot. so being able to throw it under the stroller was great. it gave me storage for ponchos, jackets, bottles of water and lunch. Also i didn't have to hear him whine. Our days are long and busy at Disney so he is often over tired also depending on time of year it can be extremely hot too for the kids who are often not hydrated enough and bodies are less efficient at regulating their body heat. Also when its really crowded I didn't have to worry about dragging him to keep up with me and I knew exactly where he was. flame away

This is just one topic that I think has everything to do with your experience. It seems moms who have had a stroller at Disney love it and don't want to give it up and people who have never had a stroller at Disney don't want one ;)
We've never had a stroller at Disney, in fact that was one of the (many) reasons we only brought our older two daughters on our first trip. It is also one of the reasons we are waiting on a trip with our entire family until our youngest is a minimum of 5 at this point. We just don't want another thing to have to worry about. We go on lots of trips with no stroller, my kids know they are expected to walk (I am not unreasonable, we do take breaks and none of us mind sitting and enjoying the scenery) and they know I am not their pack mule. If they want it, they will carry it. Not only do I not want another thing to worry about, but getting where we want at rope drop and after fireworks seems like a nightmare with a stroller...and on the buses, and getting into some of the restaurants, and just in general. It doesn't seem like something we would use at all...for us. If someone wants their 10 year old in a stroller, that is up to them (and the child at that point ;) ) but for us, not something I want to do.

Having a stroller does not bother me. Finding parking areas is easy and I'm not in such a hurry that I can't take the few minutes to park and retrieve the stroller. Our last trip, the kids were 6 & 9. At home we don't use a stroller any more, not for day trips to the zoo or local amusement parks either. We were at WDW 9 days and my 6 yo used it a lot. My 9 yo even sat in it a couple times, mostly while we weren't moving as a place to sit. We have a Chicco Echo. It folds nicely, has a basket, high handles, sunshade, and reclines. It fits older kids well, but both of mine are on the small side. When they were 8 & 5, we did two days at USO with the same stroller and my then 8 yo didn't sit in it once, but we found on the longer trip, there was more opportunity and it was much more tiring day after day. The stroller is great for carrying stuff too. One day, the 6 yo was sick, he ended up never leaving the room that day along with my DH, so we didn't take the stroller with us to HS. I didn't find myself thinking how great it was to be stroller free. We decided to take it and thought maybe they wouldn't use it and if that had been the case, we would have left it in the room.

We broke down and rented a stroller for a 7 yr, on our first trip. We have step counters we wear on our trip. We walk between 12 and 14 miles a day on our trips. We only walked 10 miles the day my husband came down with the flu. It's hard for 5-7 yr to keep up the pace all day. And it's sometimes easier to keep up with them if the park is super crowded.

Life's way too short to think about what other people think.

If you want a stroller, there are several that have larger weight limits. Hit google and find the one that works best for you.

We broke down and rented a stroller for a 7 yr, on our first trip. We have step counters we wear on our trip. We walk between 12 and 14 miles a day on our trips. We only walked 10 miles the day my husband came down with the flu. It's hard for 5-7 yr to keep up the pace all day. And it's sometimes easier to keep up with them if the park is super crowded.
Would it be a problem for you to slow down your pace during the day? Our son didn't use a stroller after he turned five. We just took a slower pace, went back to the resort around lunch for a nap or swim and then headed back to the parks for dinner and evening hours.

We are heading to Disney this December, my dd will be 5yrs. She hasn't been in a stroller for well over a year...just got to hard/heavy for me to push (I'm a single mum so no one to share pushing it with). We are regular visitors to Australia Zoo which is very big and she has had no problems spending all day walking around it but I am curious how she'll go at Disney. I will say I do miss having the stroller basket to put stuff in but have got used to just taking a backpack. If we take the stroller she will want to hop in it purely because it's there...at the moment I am leaning to not taking one...hmm

Would it be a problem for you to slow down your pace during the day? Our son didn't use a stroller after he turned five. We just took a slower pace, went back to the resort around lunch for a nap or swim and then headed back to the parks for dinner and evening hours.

I don't understand posts like this. They found something that worked for them. Slowing down worked for your family. That doesn't make it a better choice or the right choice for everyone.

I don't understand posts like this. They found something that worked for them. Slowing down worked for your family. That doesn't make it a better choice or the right choice for everyone.
Just a suggestion.

I have done "walk training" with my kids before each trip. Normally at home they are using bike/scooters/skates, so we were purposeful in using FEET for at least 1 mile each day for a few months prior to the trip. I think it really helps. Our first trip to DLR with 3 &5 yo kids, we used a stroller for the younger one each day, and the last day rented another single for the 5 yo. Never before would I have thought he would get in. He hadn't been in a stroller willingly since he was 2! But he was happy to do it that last day!

Next trip with 6/8 yo kids dh is excited to ditch the stroller, but I bet we will rent one for the end of the trip.

We are planning on renting one for our trip this September. DD will be almost 5 and usually does well if we are at the zoo all day or running errands, but personally I feel like this is a whole different ball game! I just want our family to enjoy ourselves. If that means DD takes a nap or rests in the stroller while DH and I just walk around, I'm cool with that. DH and I can switch off pushing. I had to giggle at the comment someone else posted about a place to store all their stuff - that's another reason I was so drawn to renting one! If we decide not to take it to the parks some days then I'm okay with that too. TETO!

My daughter is SOOOO spirited and energetic. She runs all day long, everywhere. She certainly is not lacking in stamina, and I know can outlast me. However, I will be using a stroller as well. I will park it maybe, do some rides and go back for it, but I know by the end of the night, she will be pooped! I'm going to do what's best for me and her. I'm sure not having to be worried about the stroller would be great, but I'd prefer her have it if she needs it. It will also help me corral her a bit. She's a RUNNER!!!! :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter