• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

stroller dilemma

Erikarate

married her prince
Our kids are 5 and 7, DS & DD, respectively. Both of their birthdays are in Sept., so when we're there in July, they'll be closer to 6 & 8.

My dilemma is this: should we bring the stroller? Our DD legs, last year were barely fitting, and I'm sure she'll have to hang them out, or my husband can rigg the thing, like extending the front foot plate so her feet don't drag (it's a double tandum stroller BTW). I should also mention that we do NOT use a stroller except at Disney. I didn't want anyone to think we infantize our big kids, lol.

I wonder if they can handle walking for long periods like my husband and I do? We also obviously walk faster, and although we try not to rush when we're at the parks, sometimes it's necessary (like making it ontime for a Fast Pass or a show, or the bus!). I wish I could say that our kids were troopers, but they tend to complain when they have to walk a lot.

Anyone else have any experience with kids who are at that borderline stroller age, at least for Disney?

Our DD's were 7,7 and 4 when we were there in Feb. Took our stroller for the youngest, and rented double strollers at the parks for the twins. In addition to helping with the "my knees are breaking" we didn't have to worry about them getting separated in the crowds.

My girls were 5 & 7 on our December 01 trip and we only rented a stroller for one (long) night at Epcot. I wouldn't worry about bringin one - you can just rent as needed. It was really great doing the parks without a stroller I must say, give it a try. We took things a bit slower as dd's were doing lots of looking around and checking out things we hadn't even noticed, it was nice. We all had our own fanny packs and I got the girls the water bottle straps - they loved those. To tell the truth we may have saved time not having the stroller as you don't have to go and get it after each ride. We always hit a park early in the morning and leave by 1 is for a pool/rest break, relaxing little legs makes a big difference. Then we hit another park for the evening and usually take it slower anyway.

Have a great trip.
TJ

Rent the stroller if needed. The ones they have at the parks accomadate bigger kids. I can't really find the exact words to describe them, but they are perfect for a bigger kid to hop in real quick. However I would wait and see if you really need them.

I'm afraid I might be overruled here. My husband is practically insisting that we bring our stroller. LOL. BTW, DH calls our stroller "the jalopy"- it's seen better days. I liken it more to a VW bus, with Disney stickers all over it. Well, we don't have to worry about anyone stealing it!!!

He doesn't want to pay the $12/day for the double stroller that we can't take out of the park. I guess I can't blame him. Also, we use the stroller to carry an endless amount of supplies like water bottles, extra clothes, autograph books, snacks, etc.

Thanks for your advice though, I will have the DH read your posts anyway. I suppose I can't complain...he's the one that usually pushes it...and it's HEAVY!!!

FWIW, we will be bringing our stroller for DD who is 6 1/2. Of course, she's a bit smaller than your average 6 yo, at 45" tall and 43 lbs., so that's a factor! She's good about keeping her feet up, and it will give her a chance to relax a bit in the relative shade. She does a lot of walking when possible, but with heavy crowds, we prefer the security of knowing exactly where she is! I'd rather have my own than rent one in the parks due to the design. JMHO.

Have a great time!
Berta

I am having the same problem. My daughter just turned 6 and my son is 4.5 we are leaving May 17th. My daughter will be able to stick it out but my son is lazy and moves slow. But this is his first time to Disney. I definetly don't want to rent. We don't use one at home but I have a small one I could take with us. I am the type that is always on the go rush rush. I guess I could just TRY to go with we are on vacation take it easy!

Hi Jill,

We don't use the stroller at home either, but it has been a life saver at such a large place like WDW. If bringing your own stroller isn't too much of a hassle, based on our experience when DD was 4 1/2, I'd tell you to bring it! We took her on her 1st trip at 4 1/2, and she needed the stroller...those little legs still get tuckered out, even tho the kids aren't babies by a long stretch! You can always leave it in the room if the kids want to try a day in the parks without it. (Our plan as of today...may change tomorrow!!:D ) On our trip last Christmas, she developed a sinus infection...having the stroller saved us from carrying her thru the MK from Fantasyland all the way back to the Contemporary! She was able to sleep all the way--priceless with a sick child!

Have a great trip!
Berta

I was there in January with my 6-soon-to-turn-7 year old daughter. A plus for us is that she is very slim so she doesn't weigh as much as your average 7 year old. She needed a stroller big time. At home, she's very active and has endless energy, but it's not the same as walking miles and miles and miles and miles....like at Disney. She's pretty tall too, but I had no problem having her sit in an umbrella stroller we took from home. It was a Godsend! I feel like we needed the stroller outside the parks just as much, if not more so, than inside the parks, so renting was not an option. I say do what will make both your child and you happy. Who cares if someone looks at you funny because such a "big" kid is in a stroller. It made our vacation much more enjoyable.

We're heading down again in November (she'll be 7 1/2 years old) and yes, I'm taking my old, "jalopy" umbrella stroller as long it still holds her weight.

Have a great time!

We're heading down again in November (she'll be 7 1/2 years old) and yes, I'm taking my old, "jalopy" umbrella stroller as long it still holds her weight.

Have a great time! [/B][/QUOTE]

Maybe we should collaborate in the design of a stroller for kids age 6-8!!!! ;)
I have visions of "Mickey Mouse" type material, a canopy, etc.... Anyone else want to join the design team????

Counting the days...(41 to be exact!!!)
Berta

We went last year with son 1 and daugther 6 and bought a double stroller just for the trip. It may sound crazy, but It cost less than the cost of renting for 12 days and we could use it outside the parks (which we really needed), and don't forget the water parks too. It was well worth it, and when we got home I sold it and since it was only used for 12 days I made more than half my money back. Anyway, my 6 dd could have never done it without the stroller. This year she is 7 and son is 2. I am only going to take 1 stroller this time and hope she can make it. We'll take breaks and I'll rent if it gets that bad. I think she can do it this time and it will be nice not having to deal with a big doule stroller. Oh yeah, another advantage to taking strollers is that you don't have to carry anything. I always get a stroller with a huge storage basket and in it I put the video camera, camera, bottled water, snacks, extra clothes etc. Can you imagine having to carry all that around with you all day. I say bring the stroller if that's what's works for you. Good Luck!

Thanks for everyones input. As I said DH definitely wants the stroller, and I am in on it too now.

LOL-RHarnish - I love the idea of designing a stroller for older kids....but we'd use it only 1xper year!!! Maybe Disney could come up with something???? just kidding.

I have a 5 year old DD, and still can't make up my mind on the stroller question. We stopped taking a stroller last year to theme parks (we go to Silver Dollar City, Branson a lot). She didn't need it hiking in the Smokies and WDW is flat? Any one else have input?

... and also more humid than most folks from further north are used to. Kids not used to that kind of heat will have a hard time with it. Your body does adjust eventually, but kids don't do it as easily as adults.

I've often thought that if I ever moved to the Orlando area, I'd open a shop to rent large strollers for WDW guests. There are some out there, they are designed for disabled kids, mostly.

I highly recommend a sit and stand stroller. We got a used one last year and it is wonderful! Look in thrift shops or ask around. It held my just turned 4 YO great and the back seat was perfect for my DD. She could sit or stand back there. She even fit in the actual stroller seat but looked a little cramped! I would tell anyone who is having another baby and needs a two seater to look into a sit and stand! the back seat is great for a kid 3 and over, who doesn't nap in a stroller anymore.

themeparkcomando, If she can do the hills at SDC in the heat of summer, Disney should be no problem! Disney is very flat compared to the Ozarks. The parks are bigger but just pace yourself and sit for the shows. We love the Table Rock Lake area too!:D Our boat gets to stay all year but we only get to visit on weekends!:D

My son is 5 1/2 and we are definately taking the stroller. We tested it the other day. He barely fits but the advantage to taking our own is that we can put a cooler in the basket below it for drinks and it reclines so he can fall asleep. I have seen so many kids heads bobbing around in the rentals because they can't recline...BUT....after this year when my son no longer fits in ours, we will rent. Nothing is worse than a child wanting to be carried when the parents are already tired. Take the stroller if the kids fit in it..otherwise rent. Well worth it.

Originally posted by Erikarate
Thanks for everyones input. As I said DH definitely wants the stroller, and I am in on it too now.

LOL-RHarnish - I love the idea of designing a stroller for older kids....but we'd use it only 1xper year!!! Maybe Disney could come up with something???? just kidding.

:D But, Erikarate, we want to get paid for our product, we don't want to pay Disney for it!!!
My goal is to make enough money so I can retire and live at our vacation condo in wdw 24/7/365. (as if....) Oh yeah, it wouldn't rain on us at WDW ever either! The canopy is just for providing shade for the little ones!

36 days and counting!!!!
Berta

I've often thought that if I ever moved to the Orlando area, I'd open a shop to rent large strollers for WDW guests. There are some out there, they are designed for disabled kids, mostly.

There is a place that I've been told rents large strollers made for special needs kids. It's called All about Kids.

Those strollers are nice, sort of like giant umbrella strollers or giant jogging strollers, but they hold someone up to 100 to 125 pounds. You better have a ton of money to start up your business though; those big strollers start at about $600. (Anything used mostly by people with disabilities is VERY expensive.)

In case you want to rent at the parks, Safari Steve (a MK CM) has posted that the WDW strollers come in several different sizes; the biggest will fit up to a small 12 year old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter