Stroller Conundrum

leeloom

Earning My Ears
I need stroller advice! :) My family has always lived within driving distance of Disney World, but we moved across the country last winter and will be flying to FL for the first time next month. We have a 5 year-old and a 2 year-old, and our older son is autistic and feels more comfortable in a stroller when he's in a crowd, so we need strollers for both children (he's big for his age but is just under 50 lbs, so he can still fit in bigger strollers).

I was planning to rent a BOB Duallie and have it delivered to our airbnb, but I started thinking that a stroller would be really handy in the airport to wrangle the boys and keep them contained (they can both be a handful, so we're expecting utter chaos in the airport). We own a BOB Duallie and I'm tempted to just bring that and gate check it. I know a lot of people have horror stories about checking strollers, but we did it once when our older son was an infant and had no issues. My husband thinks bringing the stroller will just be one more thing to deal with, though, so he's reluctant.

I know double strollers are kind of a pain to maneuver through Disney crowds, so I'm also considering bringing two single strollers from home (Uppababy Vista for the 5 year-old and a Mamas & Papas Armadillo for the 2 year-old). We have family in Fl who will be going with us to the parks, so we should have help most days with the two strollers. In the airports, though, it will just be my husband and me, so dealing with two strollers plus our carry on will be more of a pain.

We'll be driving to the parks everyday, so buses aren't an issue. This is our first time flying with our boys (save for a trip when our oldest was 3 months, so I don't count that), and we're trying to make it as stress-free as possible. We won't be checking any luggage (we'll just have carry on in backpacks and will be mailing anything extra to our family in FL to bring to us), but we will have the 2 year-old's convertible car seat that he'll be using on the plane (strapped to a cart so we don't have to lug it through the airport; if we end up taking two individual strollers, the Vista is super easy to push one-handed, so whichever parent is pushing that can pull the car seat cart behind).

I'm probably way overthinking all of this, but what would you do to make the trip as easy as possible?

I always took our double stroller when the kids needed it. It's no big deal to gate check and so much better to have a stroller in the airport than not! As far as a double stroller in the parks, I never noticed it as a problem. We had a big mountain buggy we took with us until girls were older then we took our double jeep stroller. Both worked fine.

Thank you! I think that bringing our double stroller will give me peace of mind for getting through the airport as painlessly as possible.

Just wanted to say that we have gate checked out stroller before and had no issues. Something else to consider is to get a carseat bag for your carseat you are bringing. DH or even I can wear it strapped to our backs so it frees up our hands to carry other things or push a stroller. You can buy the carseat bags on amazon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter