Stroller advice WWYD

galnar

Mouseketeer
Topic #99,542 on this subject. I have 5 kids, 8, 7, 7, 3, 3. I am bringing our Bumbleride double stroller for the little twins but am curious what you experts would do about the big kids. Bring an umbrella stroller so they can take turns in it? Rent an offsite double stroller? Rent one of the doubles at the park? I am concerned with lugging two double strollers on the bus; the Bumbleride itself is a force to be reckoned with. Thanks in advance!!!

There are a lot of big debates on this over on the family thread. IMO, the 8,7, and 7 are old enough to walk. Our kids have walked from ages 5 on up. We used to use a Maclaren Twin Triumph for the twins when they were younger ... a fold up umbrella stroller that is easier to deal with.

I have no idea what a bumbleride is, but is it big/strong enough for a 7 yr old to catch a short ride? I know lots of 3 year that want to walk at least some of the time. Maybe give the older kids coupon good for one or two 20 min ride per day. If they save the coupons, after a few days, turn them in for a mickey bar.

If you had two strollers, is the 8 yrs old going to complain? I think it would be hard to wrangle two stroller plus a flock of kids getting on a bus. If you decide on a stroller, you might need to stick with a disney only in the park one (but then the price.....:crazy2:)

Yes the Bumbleride can handle 110 lbs so it's big enough to hold any combo of my kids. TBH I'm more concerned about the 3 years old begging to walk than the 7 year olds being too tired to walk LOL

The bus issue is really the big one. I think I will forego the rental and just get one at the park if needed. Thanks for helping rationalize this! :)

Yes the Bumbleride can handle 110 lbs so it's big enough to hold any combo of my kids. TBH I'm more concerned about the 3 years old begging to walk than the 7 year olds being too tired to walk LOL

The bus issue is really the big one. I think I will forego the rental and just get one at the park if needed. Thanks for helping rationalize this! :)

I think I would rent at the parks. With your large Bumbleride, it seems pretty easy to swap seats between children when the younger ones want to walk or the older ones need a break.

I love my stroller and was loathe to give it up - called it my mobile command center. That said, the last time my youngest used it was at 6.5 and that was at MNSSHP. If it wasn’t midnight, I’m sure she would have been fine walking.

She complained this trip a little bit about walking (she’s 8) and I offered to rent her a stroller. She was mortified at the thought.

Moved this to the Disney for Families board.

My oldest is 8 and we’ll sometimes rent a stroller in the park, mainly Epcot and sometimes AK. We like the flexibility and convenience of making the call right there if needed based on our plan, weather, etc.

Ok, I'll preface this with that we are not big stroller people. I didn't buy one until my son was 2, and that was just for travel. However, I would say the older kids don't need a stroller. I know my little 6 and 8 year old can go all day with only a few breaks to rest their legs. You should be fine if you take adequate breaks.

I love my stroller and was loathe to give it up - called it my mobile command center.

When we went with DS, DDIL and two DGS, it not only held the boys, but about 25 pounds of water/ soda/ juice boxes. Saved us about $30 a day.

We did Wdw the first time when my son was 6.5. I brought the mclaren umbrella stroller and let it be his choice. It stayed in the villa the entire trip.

At 5.5 at Disneyland he still wanted and needed it, but just that one year made a ton of difference.

Ill mention that apart from an actual jogging stroller used when I wanted to jog or walk in town, we never used a stroller at home. It was strictly for Disney.

So I doubt if the non toddlers will *want* to use the stroller.

I took my double on our last trip for my two youngest - just turned one, and 4 1/2. I assumed my 6 1/2 DS would just want to walk, and he did.....until about 4 or 5 hours in each day. Then he and the 4yo would take turns. My oldest would never, ever consider using one under normal circumstances, but walking 8-12 miles per day isn’t normal circumstances for us. All that is to say it might surprise you what your kids want, and being flexible is the best plan (as is not judging others for putting their older kids in strollers). Sure, I could have told him to suck it up, but MY feet were tired, so I knew his were, and I would have had to deal with complaining, slow-waking, maybe whining, and that wasn’t worth it to me.

We have a 6.5 yr old. We live in a more rural area with no sidewalks to connect things outside of isolated subdivisions. She doesn't have walking stamina and it's hard to build...can't walk to the park, etc. We are going in April and I'm torn about the stroller. It would help tremendously but general consensus is she's too old, which I get. But 6am wake up to 10pm (even with a rest 3-6) is a lot for 6 days in a row. We will bring the stroller and try not to use it, but if it is needed we got it. We told her she's in training and we are walking with her more at night after dinner, but that's still different than walking all day long. But I'm hoping the magic will help energize her

We have a 6.5 yr old. We live in a more rural area with no sidewalks to connect things outside of isolated subdivisions. She doesn't have walking stamina and it's hard to build...can't walk to the park, etc. We are going in April and I'm torn about the stroller. It would help tremendously but general consensus is she's too old, which I get. But 6am wake up to 10pm (even with a rest 3-6) is a lot for 6 days in a row. We will bring the stroller and try not to use it, but if it is needed we got it. We told her she's in training and we are walking with her more at night after dinner, but that's still different than walking all day long. But I'm hoping the magic will help energize her
If it would help you tremendously, why would you try not to use it? You’ll see lots of even older kids in strollers, and who cares if anyone judges? It’s your (very expensive) trip - do what you need to do to enjoy it.

You do you.
It's only our opinion.
Plus seems li in e she has a medical need of some kind.

If two parents are pushing big double strollers and some of the 4 don't want to ride, then it will be challenging to keep an eye on the walkers. I've seen kids who aren't the type to wander off get distracted and then separated from their adults at WDW. It will also be a PITA folding and getting two doubles onto a bus. When we had one double on the bus we got dirty looks. One of us also had to wrangle the kids onto the bus while the other parent wrangled the stroller onto the bus.

Personally I would do the 2 doubles, however, as a hybrid you can always start with yours for a day or two and see how it goes. If you need one you can always have one delivered to your resort by one of the big companies. This way you are not 100% stuck with one extra stroller if you don't decide to use it.

Don't worry about what people may say or how they look at you, their perspective is irrelevant. If it makes life better for you and is well within the rules and regulations of the park, make your kids and your own lives that much easier!

If it were me, i'd stay at the BLT or Contemporary so you can walk to the MK! ;o) lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!