• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Straits of Gibraltar

RACHEL_GB

Mouseketeer
I would really love to be awake/watching whilst the Magic goes through the Straits of Gibraltar on our cruise next month, does anyone know how I would work out when (roughly) it is due to go through please? My father lived in Gibraltar as a child so would love to get some pics:sail:

My husband and I were debating this yesterday as we leave Cadiz in the afternoon and then go non-stop to Barcelona. He thinks it will be dark. I have no idea!

Thanks!!

They will inform you on the ship, and it will be on the map in the stateroom on the TV.

Now this area has 1/ bust traffic in a small area, 2/ strong tides as its the only " outlet.

I was delayed, two hours going into Gibraltar on our cruise, due to the above.

I have found that the ship is very good at advising you of notable sights. There normally is a paper map on display near port adventures, and also, each day at Sea at noon the captain gives navigation information such as this.

Last edited:
They will inform you on the ship, and it will be on the map in the stateroom on the TV.

Now this area has 1/ bust traffic in a small area, 2/ strong tides as its the only " outlet.

I was delayed, two hours going into Gibraltar on our cruise, due to the above.

I have found that the ship is very good at advising you of notable sights. There normally is a paper map on display near port adventures, and also, each day at Sea at noon the captain gives navigation information such as this.

Now ships cruise on the right, do you will be near the Africa coast rather than Gibraltar side, but it is narrow there.

It will be great even if I can see just a little bit of it, I have been to Gibraltar itself on day trips quite a few times but would love to see it from the sea. It's my sea-faring genes!

Really appreciate all the great tips you post. I think you are on the cruise ahead of me. Have a great time!

It will be great even if I can see just a little bit of it, I have been to Gibraltar itself on day trips quite a few times but would love to see it from the sea. It's my sea-faring genes!

Really appreciate all the great tips you post. I think you are on the cruise ahead of me. Have a great time!

We cruised into Gibraltar and sideways on going in, was fantastic, sailing past you will see the side of the tip going south, you should see something, on another cruise, from the far side, we saw it. Just keep reading the navigator, listen to the captain and CD announcements, and gave a great cruise.

Yes we are on the ship in two weeks, we will leave it when you get on, have a great cruise.

Each day the Navigator has a section on the front page at the top telling you what we will be passing, which side (port or starboard) and approximately what time.

Sunset is not until almost 930 local time in Cadiz, you'll be on the boat before then at 530 in Cadiz. However, it will likely take you longer than 4 hours to reach Gibraltar. The Western face has much more lighting than the Eastern face at night, primarily due to the fact that the Eastern Face is pretty much sheer rock cliff. Not sure how well it would be seen from the night. There also isn't any guarantee that the ship will traverse that far north. The port there at Algerciras is a large shipping port so there are lots of vessels out in the water anchored waiting for berthing space, which means the Magic won't be sailing out of shipping lanes.

I'm sorry you likely won't get a good vantage of the rock, but the passage is only like 25 miles, so who knows!

I would really love to be awake/watching whilst the Magic goes through the Straits of Gibraltar on our cruise next month, does anyone know how I would work out when (roughly) it is due to go through please? My father lived in Gibraltar as a child so would love to get some pics:sail:

My husband and I were debating this yesterday as we leave Cadiz in the afternoon and then go non-stop to Barcelona. He thinks it will be dark. I have no idea!

Thanks!!

I am on the Magic TA next month also leaving Cadiz for Malaga at 4pm. How did this turn out? Were you able to see much passing through the straits?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter