Stormalong Bay!

pixarmom

DIS Veteran
In response to several questions about Stormalong Bay, I took the following photos. First, skelooch created a wonderful and extremely helpful map of stormalong bay, which appears on the first page of the BC/YC thread (click my signature below.)

Stormalong Bay is divided into several different parts, which are all labeled on skelooch's map:

1) Sinking sands/bubbling bay/whirling waters/slide exit area. Most of this area is 3ft to 4ft deep. The deepest area is 5 ft. It is entirely disconnected from the deeper areas of the lazy river.

6177e692.jpg

072091b4.jpg

03b98eff.jpg

6015ce4b.jpg

1f909152.jpg

2) The lazy river area. This area is as shallow as 4 ft in some areas and reaches up to 8 ft in one part. Again, this area is entirely disconnected from the more shallow areas of the pool, and the deepest area is roped off. Signs on the overhead bridges warn guests that the water is deeper in that area.

36135b64.jpg

9108d5f7.jpg

370697ad.jpg

2ab05d54.jpg

5ba78940.jpg

047af8dc.jpg

3) The sandy, zero depth entry shallow area. This area is wonderful for little kids. Most of this area is 2 ft deep all the way across. There is just a pocket in the corner where the depth reaches three feet. Again, it is entirely disconnected from the deeper sections of the pool.

b5975d35.jpg

5f05bffb.jpg

3d066014.jpg

a7afb7b6.jpg

49e2cb63.jpg

8dd596f6.jpg

This walkway separates the zero depth area from the deeper section of the pool:

5018b960.jpg

afe2da64.jpg

98b06e10.jpg

This is the deepest area of the sandy zero depth entry area, at only 3 ft deep:

324f572c.jpg

4) Kiddie slide/pool at the base of the pirate ship. This pool overlooks the lake and is 2.8 feet deep.

23badf3b.jpg

3ffc263d.jpg

5) The small, circular wading pool. BC replaced the playground with additional chairs.

afc8bb76.jpg

6) Three hot tubs. (Sorry, no photos!)

In response to a request from natebenma, I investigated the locker situation, tube rental, pool noodle cost and the permissibility of "arm floaties." SAB provides lockers free of charge! Tube rental is $3/hr. and $10/day. Pool noodles are available for purchase at $4.95 each. A lifeguard reported that arm floaties are permissible.

36876afb.jpg

8bd8de46.jpg

We've also seen several questions about getting from the pool area to the larger Jib Slide that starts at the top of the pirate ship and goes into the pool. Guests must exit the main area of SAB and cross the pathway to get to the slide entrance.

b2c5bf82.jpg

18909dda.jpg

23a1184e.jpg

2eca0d50.jpg

65cb497e.jpg

Here's the view of the slide entrance as you exit the main area of SAB:

0aeb3b15.jpg

And here's the path along the side of the ship to the slide entrance:

b5b860f9.jpg

Here's the stairs up to the top of the slide entrance:

0def9338.jpg

Great pics of SAB!! My 20 mth old was looking at them with me and justsaid pool for the first time! We are super excited!

Are you allowed to bring your own inner tube? I know that I can buy those for under $4 and pack them flat.

Are you allowed to bring your own inner tube? I know that I can buy those for under $4 and pack them flat.

I understand that guests may only use the inner tubes from the poolside gift shop, but I've always seen people swimming in that area without the tubes and with their own pool noodles.

What's the bathroom situation, if I may ask? Most resorts I've gone to, there's a place right near the exit to change if you're so inclined, but someone somewhere was saying the only thing they didn't like about Stormalong Bay was the "walk of shame" through the lobby in a dripping suit. :p

And thanks for the most informative post! I guess I should go to the other thread and thank skelooch for the map, which wasn't there when I read through the thread, but OTOH I never would have seen it without you mentioning it. :goodvibes

What's the bathroom situation, if I may ask? Most resorts I've gone to, there's a place right near the exit to change if you're so inclined, but someone somewhere was saying the only thing they didn't like about Stormalong Bay was the "walk of shame" through the lobby in a dripping suit. :p

And thanks for the most informative post! I guess I should go to the other thread and thank skelooch for the map, which wasn't there when I read through the thread, but OTOH I never would have seen it without you mentioning it. :goodvibes

A few different ways to address this:

1) We usually walk out the "secret entrance" near room 1501 (see the thread for details) and down the path to access SAB. We rarely go through the lobby.

2) Depending on room location, we sometimes exit through one of the doors in the corners of the quiet pool and then down the path to SAB.

3) If you want to change at the pool, there are bathrooms located on the side of the quiet pool building facing out to the lake, bathrooms in SAB near the lazy river and bathrooms outside SAB along the walkway where the BC turns into the YC (near the health center and salon.) If I had to choose, I'd say the bathrooms outside SAB near the health club are the most clean and dry. But again, we always access SAB from either the "secret entrance" near room 1501 or one of the exits near the quiet pool.

Hope that helps!

Hope that helps!

Yes it does, thank you. :) We toured all the DVC resorts last time we were out, and the ONLY one hubby showed any interest in was the Beach Club -- because of Stormalong Bay. So the Beach Club just moved way up on my DVC list. Now if we could just take an Orlando trip with a smaller entourage... :upsidedow

pixarmom- Thank you so much for the fantastic pictures!!!

Great thread!!! You know I will be using it!

I will link to the first page of the FAQ thread. I have run out of room on the number of pictures I can post to this section (limited to 25), so a link to this thread will be very helpful!

I will also try to put the locker picture somewhere on the front page.

Keep reading and scrolling! More great pictures on Page 2 from pixarmom and from pixeldust.

We'll be staying here for our Jan/Feb vacation next year! I love looking at pics of SAB! Thanks for sharing :goodvibes.

Thank you for the excellent photos and descriptions of the entire area! Can't wait to see it up close and personal next year! *cheers*~ Rebecca :lovestruc

Thank you for the excellent photos and descriptions of the entire area! Can't wait to see it up close and personal next year! *cheers*~ Rebecca :lovestruc

If you want to kill some time between now and then, come check out the Beach & Yacht Club FAQ thread. More photos, info and fun over there.

You can click on the link in my signature.

Dee

If you want to kill some time between now and then, come check out the Beach & Yacht Club FAQ thread. More photos, info and fun over there.

You can click on the link in my signature.

Dee

Thank you so much Dee! The kids and I are going to do that right now! *cheers* ~Rebecca :hyper:

Over the years, we've set up camp in many different areas of SAB. I've spent a lot of time near the zero depth sandy area. Sometimes, if our boys are sliding a lot, we set up camp at the base of the slide. Other times, we're over near the kiddie pool that overlooks the lake. I usually avoid the rows of chairs right in front of the volleyball net - a bit too hectic for me.

In the past few years, I decided that the quiet area to the right of the hot tubs - sort of to the left of Beaches N Cream is my favorite area to swim. There's a little waterfall, part of it has a sandy bottom, and it's very rarely crowded at any time of year. And there are a few chairs to the right of that area that offer a nice view of different areas of the pool. It's a central location, but a bit tucked away. Now that all of our boys are strong swimmers, it's a nice spot for us.

A few photos - but don't let it get too crowded!

DSCN0142_zps370eb8c0.jpg

DSCN0133_zpsfa768502.jpg

DSCN0132_zps4daed56f.jpg

DSCN0131_zpsce41af6b.jpg

DSCN0130_zpsb9cd1618.jpg

First, our boys report that the Jib Slide no longer hurts their backs, and we had to literally pull our 6-year-old off it at the end of the day. Here's a photo path from the slide exit to the stairs:

Slide exit:

DSCN9842_zps8e423f6e.jpg

Hop out of the pool and follow the path:

DSCN9843_zpsacec872d.jpg

Here's what you'll see when you get to the end of the path out of SAB:

DSCN9844_zps8d903a3f.jpg

You'll turn to the right and walk toward the ship:

DSCN9845_zps1ffe57f1.jpg

Then you'll turn to the left and walk along the side of the ship:

DSCN9846_zpsb5cb3165.jpg

Keep walking along side the ship:

DSCN9847_zps7031efc1.jpg

Make a U-Turn and head up the stairs!

DSCN9848_zps78d070b1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter