Store Credit Cards

I’m another with the target card! I like the 5% off, but for me the biggest thing is the free shipping! I live far from family and friends right now so being able to just plug in their address at target’s website and mail them birthday and Christmas gifts straight from them is wonderful, plus you still get the 5% and it’s a general enough store that there’s usually something for anyone!

I have a Penney's, Kohl's, and Target Red debit. I have lately felt like ditching the Penney's and Kohl's though, I use them so infrequently and just feel like not also watching out for those statements and checking on the accounts to make sure no charges are somehow on there I didn't do. It's easier just to maintain the Visas and I feel like I've got a pulse on those and know exactly what's going on.

I don't like the way Penney's new rewards system is, so I'm thinking of cancelling. I opened it last year because I bought a ton of work type clothes and got a great discount for opening the card, about $225. But, I just may hang on to the card just in case I do see a good promotion for using the card. Used to be you'd get extra off for using the card, now it seems when they changed over to the new rewards system I can still get a great deal with % off online using any payment method, only difference is that if I use my Penney's card I would get the 2 points per dollar spent versus 1 for 1 on a different payment method. Then, that sort of makes me want to use the Penney's card to get more reward points, but truthfully I don't buy tons of stuff at Penney's, I only use it for occasional dressy/work type clothes for me (Worthington or Liz Claiborne), and nobody else in the house has their clothes from Penney's. .

Kohl's, I like their deals and discounts for using the card, and the Kohl's cash which of course makes you want to go buy something else to use it up. I think I shop at Kohl's more than Penney's anyway.

Target, I no longer live by so if I buy anything it's usually for the kids, online, and still get the red card 5% discount although it seems like I get some other minor charge on there for ordering online? It's always so minor, I forget to go back and look like a dollar or less, and I so infrequently use this card now unlike when I lived by Target. Now it's maybe three times a year at most, and usually kids' clothes. When I lived by Target I used it a ton, and shopped there for everything, more so than Walmart which I hate to say I don't really like it stresses me out to go there, lol.

I also like the way Kohl's let's you use more than one coupon/discount at once...

Thanks for the interesting replies. I had a Target card before but they closed it on me due to lack of use. Maybe sometime down the road I will apply again as it seems a good card to hold onto...

They closed mine for the same reason. Not sure if I was notified or not, but when I went to use it is when I found out it was dead and called them. Haven't bothered to apply again as I rarely go to Target.

Kohls is the one I use most often because of the 30% off deals. I also have Macys (but am thinking of cancelling it because their sales are not what they used to be and I hardly shop there anymore. I have the Target CC and Debit, Lowes (they also give 5% off when using the card), Lane Bryant and Old Navy.

They all have terrible interest rates, so I just use them for the deals/points and make sure to apy them off every month.

I use Target debit.

For store cards I have Macy's, I only keep that because of the sales/coupons. (I agree, they are less frequent). I have Lane Bryant, again for the sales/coupons, even though I rarely shop there. And Sears. I don't carry the Sears card but I needed new tires and they have no interest for 6 months or a year, depending how much you spend. So I keep it for that. I always pay store cards off after I make the purchase, except for the tire deal which I will pay before the interest hits.

I have the Target debit card, although now that I have an Amex that gives me 6% back on groceries it's better for me to buy Target gift cards at the grocery store.

My other cards are the Nordstrom card, which doesn't really give great rewards, but does give me early access to the Anniversary Sale. I also have the Pottery Barn card that gives 10% back - we bought a sectional a few years back and got a "free" coffee table. I occasionally buy things for my kids there and decor items so I do keep it open.

I will not be bothered to open another store cards unless the discount/purchase was significant otherwise it's not worth the hassle to keep up with the balances/payments.

We recently purchased new kitchen appliances. We bought them from JCPenney. They were the cheapest for some and the others they price matched for us. We used my store credit card since they were offering 0% interest and you get double points on their reward program. We ended up with over $250 in JCP Cash

Someone explain the Target RedCard linked to a credit card. I signed up years ago and I thought then that you could only link to a debit card. Or can you only link a RedCard to a Target Credit Card, and not link it to a 'regular' Visa, etc?

I love our Lowe's card. Can choose 5% off or 12 months, no interest financing, whichever suits our needs best. I also have Kohls (but have never used it) and American Eagle (so I can give it to ds to use at the store instead of giving him cash or a visa), and Wayfair.

Target red card for the 5% off (debit only)
Kohl's for the almost monthly deals.
Walmart CC for the basics.
Room To Go for furniture (no interest, woot)
Firestone (good for vehicle repairs/emergencies)

used to have a Sears card, a JCP card. Closed them both down after having for a year, and multiple problems with both.

Someone explain the Target RedCard linked to a credit card. I signed up years ago and I thought then that you could only link to a debit card. Or can you only link a RedCard to a Target Credit Card, and not link it to a 'regular' Visa, etc?
I am not sure what you mean by “link” but my Target is a regular Visa that I can use anywhere but I also receive the Target perks of 5% off of my purchases and free shipping. When I opened it, it was a regular store credit card only and then Target changed it to a Visa.

I am not sure what you mean by “link” but my Target is a regular Visa that I can use anywhere but I also receive the Target perks of 5% off of my purchases and free shipping. When I opened it, it was a regular store credit card only and then Target changed it to a Visa.

I think I understand. My current 'debit' version of my RedCard takes money right out of my checking account, so I've always considered it 'linked' to my debit card. Looks like you've answered my question in that the 'credit' version of a RedCard is an actual Target issued Visa CC. I was somehow thinking I could 'link' my everyday use CC to a RedCard and get 5% as well as my everyday CC perks. Yeah, I can see how that would be too good to be true.

Like so many others, I have Kohls and Target credit cards, not Visa, just store cards. There may be a Visa version but I declined that part. My Target card expires in 2023 and does not have a Visa logo. (I never use debit either) But I rarely use the Target one anymore because I can get Target gift cards at Giant Eagle with my 6% reward AmEx plus gas rewards. My DD has a Banana Republic one because she shops there a lot plus it is associated with the Gap and Athleta where she also shops a lot.

I only have the Target debit...got it for gc purchases back in the heyday of savings..... otherwise,nope. I get too many good rewards using other cc for purchases..... and I don't shop a lot of brand new clothing stores anyway....

I have a Target Credit card and a Kohls credit card in my name only. I wanted to have a couple of cards that were just mine alone with no one elses name on it for credit purposes. I like them both and have used them alot.

Although I have to admit, I haven't been shopping at Kohls much over the past few months - I haven't liked the style of clothes they have for me and my daughter hasn't found a thing in there either when we went back to school shopping for her.

I also have a Torrid one - that one only gets use a couple of times a year but I like having it. That's where we found most of the back to school clothes for my daughter this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter