Still Confused about Passports!

southjerseymom

DIS Veteran
Can anyone help? I have read most of the posts about passports but I am still confused! We sail February 5, 2006. Can anyone give a yes or no answer? Or does the government still not know and I should get them "in case". Anybody know the real "scoop"?

The date for needing passports has changed to 12-31-06. And according to the DCL site and inquiries (including my own) to DCL, they have stated that they will not require them until the govt. does.

They are NOT required, yet. I would NEVER leave the U.S. without a passport.

You need a PASSPORT in this day and age. The handwriting is on the wall, just do it. My whole extended family has them. What happens if you miss the boat. This just happened again on a cruise recently. Or someone gets sick and they ship you off the ship, do you want to be in a foriegn country with no passport? Not me!

I also see people renting cars I hope they but all the insurance they can get. Having an accident in a foriegn country makes you at fault automatically. They don't drive like we do either. Plus the medical care isn't up to our standards, I had a friend die in Mexico because of the bad medical care. The driver hit them and took off

I wasn't sure about the passports either, but then decided just to go ahead and get them. we are not going until May 2006. I hated forking out the $97 a piece but I figure it is good for 10 years so that just means I will have to put it to good use!!! Than I will really get my moneys worth!! :cool1:

John this is a very touchy subject. I wouldn't be so quick to judge others for not wanting to get a passport right now.

Personally, I feel very comfortable with MY CHOICE of not getting passports for my family. I don't appreciate you telling me "to get with it". I have made a very informed decision on this matter based upon what my family will be doing on our cruise and I don't appreciate your condescending tone.

Frankly, I'm getting tired of the "preachy" attitudes of some people on this board on this subject. I try not to post at all,but unfortunately I feel like some people want to give out incorrect information so I try to post just the facts until someone comes along on their high horse and criticizes other people decisions.

To the OP - no, you will not need a passport when you cruise in February, 2006. The requirements don't kick in until after 12/31/06. If you don't want to go through the cost of getting a passport, you will have to have an original birth certificate (with a raised seal) and another form of ID for every member of your party.

I'm crusing this December (for the first time) and I went back and forth with getting the passport and not getting one. I found that, other than the cost ($97 total - $67 for the actual passport, $30 to the processing site), it was relatively painless. Of course, I had the luxury of having a post office eight miles away that I could visit during my lunch hour and had everything handled in about five minutes.

And one of the reasons I got the passport was the thought of traveling with my birth certificate. I'm 43 years old and so it that piece of paper. It's not in the best of condition.

From the DCL website:
Guests booked on cruises that sail on or after December 28, 2006 must carry valid passports for each member of their travel party when entering or returning to the United States from the Caribbean (including The Bahamas) and Mexico, and must provide Disney Cruise Line® with passport numbers 75 days before their vacation starts.

I would state unequivocally, that if Money Were No Object, get the passports anyway.

However, I have met very few people in this life for whom Money Is No Object.

They are convenient. They are expensive.

Cost and Benefit.

Jim

musicgirl said:
John this is a very touchy subject. I wouldn't be so quick to judge others for not wanting to get a passport right now.

Personally, I feel very comfortable with MY CHOICE of not getting passports for my family. I don't appreciate you telling me "to get with it". I have made a very informed decision on this matter based upon what my family will be doing on our cruise and I don't appreciate your condescending tone.

Frankly, I'm getting tired of the "preachy" attitudes of some people on this board on this subject. I try not to post at all,but unfortunately I feel like some people want to give out incorrect information so I try to post just the facts until someone comes along on their high horse and criticizes other
people decisions.

Just understand that those of us who have had problems when traveling without a passport don't want others to have those problems.
I felt the same way you do about Passports, but about Travel Insurance, until I joined this board. My Disney cruise was my 7th cruise, and the first that I purchased Travel Insurance for. Did I need it? No. But just like the Passport, it was there IF I needed it.

(Hi Jim!)
We have followed the passport saga closely. We disembark on Dec. 31, 2005, the original date that the government had set in April for Caribbean (and others...) traveling passengers. This would have cost our family of five nearly $500. I was VERY thankful the date has changed. It is HIGHLY unlikely our children would ever need a passport again in next 5 years.
We cruised last Oct. w/ DL & BC (you can get "new" ones by mail or in person through your state gov't of your birthplace). We had NO delays or difficulties, nor felt that it was any less convenient than a passport. I suppose in some extremely unlikely situations a passport would be preferable. And since DH & I will likely be cruising annually, I have no problems investing for us.
If it makes you feel better and you don't mind spending the $, then by all means do.
BUT YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED BY THE GOVERNMENT OR THE CRUISE LINES TO HAVE ONE UNTIL DEC. 31, 2006.
Enough said.
HAPPY CRUISING, (passport or not! :teeth: )
Kris
PS Hi Lorie!

You say you need a birth certificate and a second form of identification. What second form of ID do you use for kids?

The kids only need the bc, just like flying. BTW, the bc DO NOT need the raised seal to be certified. BC are all different between states and counties. One of my sister's family did not have raised seals, and it was fine.

I recommend that you call DCL to double check. Had I not already been there done that with the question of the raised seal, I would call for myself.

tvguy-we have been around and around on this subject about the insurance of it all. And I understand your concern for wanting to share your personal experience. My comment was not concerning your post. My point was to those who feel that they have the right to tell me "to get with it".

But let's not start all the " what if's". Thousands of situations could happen. And let's face it unless you have been there and had that happen to you, you really don't know whether a passport is going to be any more help than a bc and dl.

If people want to share THEIR personal experince(s), go for it. But no one needs to tell other people what to do and make them feel like their decision is not correct.

Hi Kris!!!

BTW did any of you read the other passport thread?

There was a family of 11 who was very thankful that they would not have to purchase them. That is not just a couple hundred $.

We have passports and I am one of "those People" who think that you shouldn't travel outside the US without them. I have needed mine and understand its value so much better now.

HOWEVER:

The US passport office has slowed its turn around considerably after Hurricane Katrina so that getting a passport for a February cruise might be iffy at this point. And since you have to surrender your birth certificate with the passport application (it comes back with the passport) it might get really tricky unless you have multiple copies of your birth certificate. (I don't - I should, but I don't)

That said:

I think a cruise is probably the safest way to travel to foreign countries. I think if you had any issues in port, the cruiseline would be able to help you get the assisstance you needed and that it is relatively safe to cruise without a passport. However, I am very glad that the US government has decided to make it mandatory(even if they completely confused us in the process). We will all be safer, both at home and abroad.

I liked your post Cruella de Mom. Honest about being one of "those". Does that make me one of "these"? LOL

BTW-I love the name!!!

i have chosen to get the passports for our next trip, however noone has the right to make judgements on anyone who does not want to get them, however, if anyone has a gripe about the money issue, i look at it this way, if you can afford the cruise you can afford the passport, if it is going to become a requirement, it is simple, if you want to go, get one and if not don't there are still plenty of other things to do in florida

Happy Lawyer,

If I had to get them, I would budget for them. But right now for us, we will not be needing passports other than this trip. We have too many expenses coming up that I can not put another cruise in the budget.

And I do mean budget. I pay every month on this cruise. I booked our cat. 11 the first day it was available so that I could get the cheapest rate and be able to budget monthly. I am not lucky enough to just pay for it. That means that I cut down on spending. I use a Disney rewards card (paid off every month because of the budget) so that I can use the reward dollars for the trip. The $300 that I save by not purchasing passports can be used on some fun things that we would otherwise not do or get.

And you are assuming that because people are on a cruise that they have money. Some trips are paid by relatives with the exception of spending costs. The relative may not be paying for passports.

I have read how some people ask how to go on the cruise without spending any extra money except for tipping because they had just lost a job and didn't want to disappoint the kids. One person was going to cancel their cruise because she didn't feel that their regular clothes would be acceptable and they couldn't afford anything new, especially for the formal nights.

What is going to happen to kids in a WISH program? Will the programs we willing to pay for their (including family) passports? Or do they just not get to go now?

Some might say then they probably should not be spending the money on a DCL cruise, maybe do something less expensive. Why should only some people be able to experience a DCL cruise because they can afford all the things that go along with it? I think EVERY child should be able to experience a trip with their family like this.

While I appreciate you not judging others for their choice on whether or not to get passports, you shouldn't assume either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter