Sticking with Verizon...but which phone?

TinkOhio

DIS Veteran
Once more, we're trying to decide which phone to go with.:headache: We are currently with Verizon and want to stay that way because of their service /coverage. We've long been eligible for upgrades, but busy schedules have always gotten in the way. Now that unlimited data plans will be gone starting in July, we've decided to jump on the smartphone bandwagon now...and we need help!:rolleyes1

What do we need to consider when making the choice between the iphone4 and Droids? We won't be doing tons of movie watching, but we would like to use the camera and video recording options. Also, we'll still mostly be using the phones to call and text with. Is there a way to decide how much data we'll need? Most internet use will be to gather information and check emails. And what about music capabilities?

Not to beat and old horse, but which phone should we go with and why?

Thanks for anly help!:flower3:

Just got the iphone about 2 weeks ago and love it. Of course I am also an Apple fan so I am a bit biased but I love the fact that when I connect it at home everythign syncs up with no problems or headaches.

Would highly recommend it.

Ordered DH an Iphone... should be delivered today or Monday :goodvibes

I got a Droid Incredible 2 about 3 weeks ago. I almost took it back for the iphone 4. I went back and forth until my 2 week window was up( verizon has a 2 week period that you can exchange it with a$30 restocking fee.)
I will list my deciding factors maybe that will help you as well...

My hang ups were the camera, Di2 is far better. . There is also an Iphone 5 coming out soon (sept?) and I did not want to be stuck with the old version for 2 years. There are alot more free apps on the Di2.

Another big advantage with a Di2 is that if you buy the 16gb you are able to upgrade the memory by getting a larger card, iphone you need to upgrade the entire phone. $30 vs. $100.

Itunes, already have it set up. This was hard one for me...at first I still felt like a new Ipod until I found an app (DoubleTwist) that pulls in your all your Itunes playlist and super easy to use. I am glad I stuck with the Di2. Now I love my droid!

I just traded my Blackberry for the Samsung Fascinate. I'm getting used to it,and I really like it! It's super fast,takes great pics,I can get on-line really quick. The screen is crystal clear. Verizon wanted $258.00 for this phone,so I went to Walmart ( I had to re-new my 2 yr. contract anyway) and I paid $58.00 for the same phone!! Unreal,that Verizon wanted to charge me that much more!

Not to beat and old horse, but which phone should we go with and why?

My wife recently upgraded to the iPhone 4 (Verizon) and she absolutely loves it...

Budget Tip: If you buy the phone from Target (the cell phone section inside the store), you can use your Target credit/debit card and save an additional 5% (which, in many places, would negate the sales tax). As Target had access to our VZW account, upgrading was a snap.

I have been torn between an iPhone or the Droid Incredible 2 and have finally decided to go with the Droid. First, it's less money (I'm due now for a new phone), and i know I can get my iTunes to work on there, second, the iPhone does not support Flash, but the biggest seller for me was when I watched a demo on the difference between the 2 and saw that when you zoomed in on a web page, the Droid would resize the text to fit the screen, and on the iPhone, you would have to scroll left to right to read the text. Not much of a reason, but it was a good enough reason for me.

Another thing to think about is whether or not, if you buy the Iphone 4 right now, will you be disappointed when the price drops dramatically in the fall when 5 comes out?

I called and asked the Verizon phone rep point blank why I should buy a phone from them (aka over the phone) vs one at a retail store (either a Verizon store or WM) and she said it was because, if anything goes wrong with the phone, you have to deal with whomever you bought it from. I don't know if I totally believe that, but it's what she said!

Terri

Another thing to think about is whether or not, if you buy the Iphone 4 right now, will you be disappointed when the price drops dramatically in the fall when 5 comes out?

I called and asked the Verizon phone rep point blank why I should buy a phone from them (aka over the phone) vs one at a retail store (either a Verizon store or WM) and she said it was because, if anything goes wrong with the phone, you have to deal with whomever you bought it from. I don't know if I totally believe that, but it's what she said!

Terri

This is 100% incorrect. We get all our phones from a Verizon store, DD14 had a problem with hers and when she was in Idaho visiting her older sister (DD23) they called and had a new one sent to DD14 the same day, she got her new phone 2 or 3 days after they called.

I upgraded to the Droid X...and OMG I LOVE IT!!!!!! It is the BEST phone I have EVER had!!!!! I've never had an iPhone so I can't compare the two but man, my Droid X is amazing! LOVE it!! I've got every app I have searched for on it, I can watch movies (via Netflix) or TV shows, I use it at work all day as my music player, use it in the car for music.....it does everything. The battery lasts all day most days but I do plug it in at work about halfway thru my day, just because we don't have a home phone and I don't want to have my phone die on me. :)

They have the Droid X 2 now, it's on the 4G network but I honestly can't say enough good stuff about my X. I went with it because the camera was better, the screen is bigger and it had the features I was looking for.

I've waited a long time for my Iphone and love it love it love it! My husband on the other hand has the Droid and loves his, he wasn't willing to hold out for Verizon to get the iphone, so I don't think you will be disappointed in either.

I just bought my iphone from Walmart last week for $147. I'm very happy with the deal I got on it.

If you're thinking about getting the Iphone from WM, call before you go to check on availability. We have 4 stores within driving distance and only 2 had them yesterday when I called (and they each only had one, in black).

Terri

I've never had a Droid but just got the iPhone last Sunday and I love it! DD has had one for months and DBF just got his yesterday. I know the droid has a removable battery, upgradable memory and other features that the iPhone doesn't have but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my iphone and have no regrets so far.

I've never had a Droid but just got the iPhone last Sunday and I love it! DD has had one for months and DBF just got his yesterday. I know the droid has a removable battery, upgradable memory and other features that the iPhone doesn't have but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my iphone and have no regrets so far.

This is true, another reason I decided to go with the Droid. I have a mini SD card in my phone that's 16 gigs....not even close to being full, but I don't have movies installed on it, just photos, apps and music. And I love the removable battery because batteries die, they lose their life over time so this way I can simply get a new battery. I plan on having this phone for quite a while and then probably passing it on to one of the kids. :)

Right now, I would go with either the droid X 2 or the Samsung Fascinate. If you have 4G in your area, try the Samsung Charge. The iPhone 4 is already an old phone, as previous posters have pointed out.

As far as buying phones from places like Walmart, during the return period (14-30 days) , you do deal with the original seller. After that, for warranty issues on the phone, you deal with Verizon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter