Sticker Shock - ProVia Entry Door

Belle2667

Ah, Disney, where the magic never stops!
We've been looking for a new entry door (and side-lites). We had a contractor come in and after picking a style we liked (mission style with clear glass, nothing spectacular), he informed us it wasn't available and never called us back.

We found a similar style door at Lowes. A ThermaTru Benchmark door with matching sidelites and a storm door. They quoted us $3000, installed. When we inquired about the payment plan, they wanted 100% before they even placed the order. Sorry. We're not comfortable paying for something that needs installation before the work is done.

Anyway, we had another contractor over last night and he quoted us a ProVia Door. Again, a similar style but warranted for as long as we own our home. The contractor also includes 10 year service warranty.

Their price was $6,000, installed. Is this typical? We knew it would be a bit more than Lowes, but double? When we asked the contractor to compare the ProVia to the ThermaTru, he basically said there is no comparison as they are completely different doors.

So, has anyone had a new entry door installed? Is our pricing inline with what you paid? If you have a ProVia, are you happy with it?

I understand the intangibles like the increased curb appeal, energy-saving abilities over our current builder's special door and the tax credit available if we have it installed by Dec 31. I just would like to feel comfortable that we have a good price and that he didn't just increase his pricing $1500 (or more) because of the tax credit end date coming.

IMHO - that is FAR too much to pay for an entry door. And my wife and I are 'quality junkies' LOL

I think that $3,000 is far more reasonable than $6,000 - but unless you are buying a premium door $3,000 is still a little much - but considering all of the options that are out there - the materials etc etc etc

Just a word of caution - be sure that if you are buying a wood door - be 100% sure that it is a SOLID wood door - and not a 'solid core' door.

The ORANGE folks lied to us 100% of the way when we remodeled our kitchen and replaced three interior doors with what we ordered - and were told that we purchased solid doors only to have our contractor go to trim 2 inches off the basement door - and it WASN'T solid wood at all!

Trust me - the ORANGE folks will lie to you - delay your order - and never answer the phone to get the problem fixed. :headache:

Yes, the $6,000 is in line with what we were quoted last year as an installed price by a local design and build firm as the price of an entrance door featuring stained-glass insert, one matching side lite, and a storm door. It was one of the better manufacturers we had researched. We haven't had the work done yet. We are doing a series of remodeling projects rather than one big one and decided to put off that part of the overall job.

Have more than one local contractor quote prices on installing the same door and see how close they come to each other.

We bought our ThermaTru (solid with storm door and full sidelights) from Lowes unfinished (DH has to paint it) and we're installing it ourselves and we paid $800.

DH says he quoted a ProVia door (solid with storm door and full sidelights) unfinished and with us installing it for $1500. DH says $6k sounds insane even with finishing and installation. Do it have a transom (I have no idea what that means :lmao: He said that could make the price more)? But even with transom he said that sounds like a lot.

I don't know about the doors, but here is a copy of the Energy Credit Form and basic instructions for 2009. The 2010 forms are not out yet. This can be a reference.

We did a front door with side lights and an arch above. It was whatever the architect recommended...can't remember the manufacturer. I'm sure I didn't pay anything like that installed.

Costco has 3 manufacturers they rep. Not sure what either is other than they are are available. The info on those is online.

We did a new entry door and sidelights, mission style. We bought them from Home Depot and installed/finished them ourselves. Door and sidelights ran us $2,000 (we went with a leaded glass door & sidelights).

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, we generally don't have the time (or skills) to do something like this ourselves.

We are going to see if they can do any better on the pricing. Everything's negotiable, right?

I've been through completely replacing doors and windows on two house now.

Brands vary greatly in price. The higher quality brands are higher priced. You don't always need the absolute highest quality, but you don't want junk either.

There are all sorts of doors out there, and before you can settle on a brand, I think you need to settle on exactly what it is you want. And I don't mean style-wise. You need to look at what sort of weather the door will be exposed to, and what sort of materials are best for that. Do you want a solid wood door, or a steal door? What about a fiberglass exterior/wood interior? Is your door an odd size requiring that the door be custom built to specs (typical with old houses, but new houses should be standard size)?

I think you should spend some time researching your options, then hit a few window/door showrooms to see what the base costs are for doors from different manufacturers. From there, the showrooms can usually either do the install themselves or recommend a contractor, or you can find a contractor independently. (I've actually had great luck using showrooms but I've also researched them ahead of time and found the best in the area to work with.)

The thing with Lowe's or the ORANGE place...you do have to pay up front...that is normal...but they do offer a lot of credit deals...like 12months no interest...that is how I buy everything from them. And your install has a warranty not just the door, the door has a warranty too.

Lowes also does installation....why not get a quote from them on the ThermaTru?
ThermaTru doors are excellent doors.

Lowes also does installation....why not get a quote from them on the ThermaTru?
ThermaTru doors are excellent doors.

We did get a quote from Lowes for the ThermaTru, but we don't like the paying 100% up front. We've heard about issues when the wrong door was ordered and stuff like that. Lowes does installation, but it's through a subcontractor and we have no way to research this subcontractor's work.

I've been through completely replacing doors and windows on two house now.

Brands vary greatly in price. The higher quality brands are higher priced. You don't always need the absolute highest quality, but you don't want junk either.

There are all sorts of doors out there, and before you can settle on a brand, I think you need to settle on exactly what it is you want. And I don't mean style-wise. You need to look at what sort of weather the door will be exposed to, and what sort of materials are best for that. Do you want a solid wood door, or a steal door? What about a fiberglass exterior/wood interior? Is your door an odd size requiring that the door be custom built to specs (typical with old houses, but new houses should be standard size)?

I think you should spend some time researching your options, then hit a few window/door showrooms to see what the base costs are for doors from different manufacturers. From there, the showrooms can usually either do the install themselves or recommend a contractor, or you can find a contractor independently. (I've actually had great luck using showrooms but I've also researched them ahead of time and found the best in the area to work with.)

Hi MomToOne -

Thanks for your thoughts. We did a bunch of research and we know we want a fiberglass door, factory painted. Our house is newer so it is pretty standard. I was really hoping we'd just be able to replace the door, (Why replace the whole frame and sidelites?) but apparently, I know nothing about building homes or replacement doors.

Anyway, we have a north-facing house and our door will be under a porch. We should have no issues with weather.

We have researched several vendors, and this supplier is one who has done work for others in our family. Everyone has been pleased with their quality and work ethic. Again, we are comfortable with the door, it's quality and the vendor, and we knew it would be more than we were quoted by Lowes. We just weren't expecting it to be double.

Thanks

DON'T USE LOWE'S!!!! I am now in a huge dispute with Lowe's about which I posted on this board recently. They get the money up front and promise you "satisfaction guaranteed" and a one-year warranty. However, every aspect of my $20,000 plus job needs to be torn off and redone, according to a professional inspector, and I cannot even get Lowe's to acknowledge or substantively respond to my warranty claim. I have mold in my house as a result of the work, and Lowe's hasn't even sent anyone out to my home to inspect the damage.

Lowe's refers its claims to a "third party administrator" -- a so called "risk manage" -- which simply refers the claim to the contractor (with whom you do not have a contract because your contract is with Lowe's) and tells the contractor to contact his insurer.

My mother just had a very expensive front door set installed by Lowe's (against my advice), and she has had nothing but problems. The installers left a gap between the frame and the door, so you can see sunlight and feel the draft. Two return trips (after a couple of no shows) and the door still isn't right.

Save yourself an incredible amount of grief and time and find somebody else to do the work. I had a great experience with Lowe's on some windows a few years ago, but I will never buy a single thing from Lowe's again as a result of this disaster. Totally untrustworthy.

DON'T USE LOWE'S!!!! I am now in a huge dispute with Lowe's about which I posted on this board recently. They get the money up front and promise you "satisfaction guaranteed" and a one-year warranty. However, every aspect of my $20,000 plus job needs to be torn off and redone, according to a professional inspector, and I cannot even get Lowe's to acknowledge or substantively respond to my warranty claim. I have mold in my house as a result of the work, and Lowe's hasn't even sent anyone out to my home to inspect the damage.

Lowe's refers its claims to a "third party administrator" -- a so called "risk manage" -- which simply refers the claim to the contractor (with whom you do not have a contract because your contract is with Lowe's) and tells the contractor to contact his insurer.

My mother just had a very expensive front door set installed by Lowe's (against my advice), and she has had nothing but problems. The installers left a gap between the frame and the door, so you can see sunlight and feel the draft. Two return trips (after a couple of no shows) and the door still isn't right.

Save yourself an incredible amount of grief and time and find somebody else to do the work. I had a great experience with Lowe's on some windows a few years ago, but I will never buy a single thing from Lowe's again as a result of this disaster. Totally untrustworthy.

Wow! Sorry you are going through that.

Your situation is exactly one of the reasons we are not comfortable paying up front. We have no bargaining power if the job is not done to our satisfaction.

I'd bet that if 2/3 of their payment was pending your approval of a finished project, they'd make sure it was right the first time! (That's is what we've found to be acceptable with this contractor as well as others we've worked with in the past. 1/3 down at the signing of the contract and the rest at completion of the project.)

Hi MomToOne -

Thanks for your thoughts. We did a bunch of research and we know we want a fiberglass door, factory painted. Our house is newer so it is pretty standard. I was really hoping we'd just be able to replace the door, (Why replace the whole frame and sidelites?) but apparently, I know nothing about building homes or replacement doors.

Anyway, we have a north-facing house and our door will be under a porch. We should have no issues with weather.

We have researched several vendors, and this supplier is one who has done work for others in our family. Everyone has been pleased with their quality and work ethic. Again, we are comfortable with the door, it's quality and the vendor, and we knew it would be more than we were quoted by Lowes. We just weren't expecting it to be double.

Thanks

Well then, I wouldn't compare your Lowes cost to your Contractor's cost at all. I would never go with a Lowes or Home Depot on such a job, based on everything I've read about them over time. You really do want quality here - badly installed doors and windows can be a nightmare (I know, I am dealing with one such nightmare on a door installed by the previous owner on my current house).

I can tell you that I had a custom built (old house so sizing isn't standard) double Marvin simulated divided-light french door installed a few years ago for about $5K. And I've had basic custom built solid wood entry doors installed for about $3K, but that was a large job where I got a "friends and family" discount on materials because it was so big. Both were installed by the best contractors in town, who did only window/door work. For a simple, standard size single front door that isn't exposed to extreme weather, with no extra transomes or other fancy touches, I'd think $6K was a bit high - I'd be expecting more in the 4-5K range. But I suggest just getting a several more quotes for the same door to see if your contractor is out of line, plus have them quote you other door brands. And be sure they give you a breakdown in materials cost vs. installation cost.

Belle2667, I think your approach is perfect! It will not guarantee that you won't have problems, but as you said, you have bargaining power if problems do arise. I never, ever, ever will pay in full up front again. I questioned it at the time, and my instincts and experience told me to avoid that. Ultimately, Lowe's said it was non-negotiable.

Incidentally, my family also has experienced problems with just ordering things from Lowe's. Nothing particularly terrible, but just be forewarned that you might have problems with Lowe's even if you limit your business to just buying a door from that company. One thing Lowe's likes to do is to refuse a return of defective merchandise -- Lowe's will argue that your remedy is through the manufacturer. I don't know whether that is a common approach, but if I were spending $3,000 on a door, I would want a supplier who would accept returns of a defective door and I would want that in writing in the order paperwork.

So today, our supplier breaks down the cost of the new door.

$5,650.00 for the door
$ 350.00 for labor

Somehow, that just doesn't seem right. The guy said it would take 5 to 6 hours with the storm door for installation. That's way low for labor (at least I would think they'd charge more).

So...of course, they can't do any better on the price. Well, we threw it back in their court one more time. We'll see.

We are having a new steel front door and 2 sidelights installed by Lowe's next Tuesday. One thing we were told upfront is that the people installing the doors are not Lowe's employees, they are local contractors. So the people who have had problems, I can see where getting satisfaction from a third party could be difficult and going local doesn't guarentee that problems won't happen.
Our doors are custom order because our entry used to be a garage door, and we paid just over $1450 including the installation. It will come white and I will have to paint it myself, but it was a lot cheaper than the fiberglass options. We needed to get rid our our solid oak doors because our storm doors were blown off in a mini tornado and real wood swells and shrinks too much with the weather.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter