• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Stephanie Dawn Vs. Vera Bradley??

We have the Stephanie Dawn tote and my daugther who travels for figure skating has taken it back and forth from Ohio to Alabama and out to California over the past year. It has held up just as well as our Vera bags.

The store I get our's from is Karma Essence and they have a web store. You can order from them. I love the fact that it's USA, Ohio made.

I am just finding this thread.
Can someone tell me when VB sent manuf to China?

I have at least half dozen Vera bags and they all say Made in USA. the most recent one was purchased last summer.

so it must be very recent?

I am interested in checking out Stephanie Dawn. Do all Hallmark stores carry them? I have never seen them, but never looked either.
I like supporting made in USA when possible.

I am just finding this thread.
Can someone tell me when VB sent manuf to China?

I have at least half dozen Vera bags and they all say Made in USA. the most recent one was purchased last summer.

so it must be very recent?

I am interested in checking out Stephanie Dawn. Do all Hallmark stores carry them? I have never seen them, but never looked either.
I like supporting made in USA when possible.

I didn't know that either, but I just looked at the bag I got last weekend and it says Made in China, it is the Verry Berry Paisley. I also have a Turnlock wallet and a small cosmetic case that say Made in China and they are colors from last summer and fall.

Here is a link to the SD Spring/Summer 2011 catalog http://stephaniedawn.net/Stephanie_Dawn_files/SDSpring2011Catalog.pdf

Just from the look of the pictures, the look of quality isn't there like it is in a VB bag, guess I am just partial and addicted.

Suzanne

Her grandchild did not like that she fired her American workers and took everything to China. She did most of the designs for her grandmother. She decided to start her own line and she hired back all of the workers that her grandmother had let go. You can also see her bag at Barefoot Landings in Myrtle Beach SC.

If given the choice of the two now, I will definitely go with Stephanie Dawn. The only way to rebuild this country is to bring jobs back to the U.S. Yay! For Stephanie Dawn!!!!

Her grandchild did not like that she fired her American workers and took everything to China. She did most of the designs for her grandmother. She decided to start her own line and she hired back all of the workers that her grandmother had let go. You can also see her bag at Barefoot Landings in Myrtle Beach SC.

What store @ Barefoot?

My favorite Vera Bradley bag was the Stephanie that was discontinued. Hmm... wonder if that is why it was discontinued because she left the company and went out on her own. Couldnt Mandy or someone else have left so my favorite bag would still be available- LOL! I want to find someone local who sells SD so I can check it out too. They have a couple of cute patterns I like.

Not sure if anyone will see this,the last post is old! The Stephanie Dawn warehouse sale was last week end in Van Wert Ohio. It was really very nice. The prices were fabulous with many bags well below 20$. The workers were all friendly and we took home a LOT for less than 100$.
The Vera Bradley sale in Fort Wayne in Ohio was fun and huge in comparison, however the price point was much higher and we spent about 700$ there. Both were very nice but if you want the experience and not the hassle, the Stephanie Dawn Sale is for you.pixiedust:pixiedust:

Thank you so much for the information about this American company. I wish I liked any of the patterns enough to order on-line. The only ones somewhat of interest to me are French Quarter and Catalina. I am going to check around here for a retailer where I can see them in person. I'd love to support this company.

To the OP - thanks for bringing this to my attention. When I first started buying VB bags, they were still made in the US. I did not know they had taken their business overseas. Not cool. I was planning to get a VB hipster for our next Disney trip but now I'll take a look at the Stepahnie Dawn bags and see if any of those would work for me.

I agree...quality of the VB bags have seemed to deteriorate over time. I am a long time owner and I too, did not realize that they were not made in US anymore...

I have to say that Vera Bradley is not a person. It is actually 2 women. So granddaughter of who is this Stephanie? It is sad when American jobs go over seas and I will not be buying Vera bags anymore. I used to go to the outlet sales in fort Wayne, IN all the time when I lived out there. :(

I haven't been on the DIS boards in a while, but we're planning a WDW trip :-)cool1:), so I'm lurking around a bit.

I just had to share that I also went to the Stephanie Dawn warehouse sale earlier this month. It was fantastic! Among other things, I got my daughter a duffle, in French Quarter, for $16! Since the sale, I've been using my Sling in Dottie Pop:

http://www.stephaniedawn.net/sling/

I actually prefer it to my VB Hipsters, which have been my go-to Disney bags. The front pocket is ideal for easy access to my cellphone. I've gotten tons of compliments on it and I'm always proud to say it's American made! I find the quality to be equal to VB.

I have to say that Vera Bradley is not a person. It is actually 2 women. So granddaughter of who is this Stephanie? It is sad when American jobs go over seas and I will not be buying Vera bags anymore. I used to go to the outlet sales in fort Wayne, IN all the time when I lived out there. :(

The owners of KAM Manufacturing in Van Wert, OH. No familial relation to anyone in Vera Bradley. VB cut off it's domestic sewing contractors in 2008:

http://putnamsentinel.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=2677&TM=39957.64

Sounds like it was quite a shock and I think it's awesome they were able to save jobs!

Stephanie Dawn handbags look EXACTLY like Vera Bradley. Not surprised to find out it's the same family - Does that mean Gma VB is okay with that? How does the pricing compare?

She is not the grandaughter of VB, she is the grandaughter of the family that manufactured the bags FOR Vera.

I don't much like their site as they don't show any views of the items. It looks like there is a Halmark by me that carries it so I'll go look. My mom is looking for a style that VB is no longer carrying and it looks like one of these might do, but I need to see the features. I"m willing to give them a try.

Since I HATE the new minihipster (mypark and shopping trip bag) and there was only one color left in the original style that I was willing to carry, I'll have to look at thier sling for me.

I don't usually reply to these things but what the lady told you about Stephanie Dawn is true with this additional information. Stephanie Dawn didn't decide to go out on their own, they were forced out when Vera went to China essentially closing the doors on the Ohio factory. The KAM company which owns Stehanie Dawn was the first to make Vera bags when they were created. I am sure there are all kinds of legal reasons, but Stephanie Dawn does not advertise this way, but I read a newspaper article attesting to these facts. Since I found Stephanie Dawn I have never bought another Vera bag. I choose to support American workers. I wish more people knew about this line of bags. Pass the word!

I don't usually reply to these things but what the lady told you about Stephanie Dawn is true with this additional information. Stephanie Dawn didn't decide to go out on their own, they were forced out when Vera went to China essentially closing the doors on the Ohio factory. The KAM company which owns Stehanie Dawn was the first to make Vera bags when they were created. I am sure there are all kinds of legal reasons, but Stephanie Dawn does not advertise this way, but I read a newspaper article attesting to these facts. Since I found Stephanie Dawn I have never bought another Vera bag. I choose to support American workers. I wish more people knew about this line of bags. Pass the word!
:thumbsup2

I wish their site would show more views of the outside of their bags. plus show what the insides look like.

Stephanie Dawn is a GREAT product. as you said, MADE IN USA. Vera Bradley has moved a lot of production to CHINA. Look at your tags. Stephanie Dawn is cheaper, better quality, and came into business after Vera Bradley laid off 100's of employees in order to move overseas, so the factory started making Stephanie Dawn. It is a family business. GREAT customer service.:)

I haven't been on the DIS boards in a while, but we're planning a WDW trip :-)cool1:), so I'm lurking around a bit.

I just had to share that I also went to the Stephanie Dawn warehouse sale earlier this month. It was fantastic! Among other things, I got my daughter a duffle, in French Quarter, for $16! Since the sale, I've been using my Sling in Dottie Pop:

http://www.stephaniedawn.net/sling/

I actually prefer it to my VB Hipsters, which have been my go-to Disney bags. The front pocket is ideal for easy access to my cellphone. I've gotten tons of compliments on it and I'm always proud to say it's American made! I find the quality to be equal to VB.
I know this is an old thread but, does anyone know where and when they have the warehouse sale?

ETA: Found the where: Van Wert Ohio

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter